Cliff Lee to Twins?

Heads22

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 08:17 PM)
Wow. Well this automatically (if they weren't already) makes the Twins the team to beat in the Central. Worst case scenario for us. Now it's Kenny's turn.

I think it's something Kenny had time to absorb and accept for a week or so though. It was pretty clear that the Twins had an awfully good shot to get him.

Hopefully KW has something up his sleeve.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
The problem is, personally I think we need another big bat to keep up with the current Twins roster. If they add Cliff Lee, well, I just don't know what to think.

You stay the course. That's been Williams' MO his entire career. If the right deal comes up, you make it. If not, don't. It doesn't matter if they're winning or losing, that's all he's ever done. If the Twins add Cliff Lee, then s*** happens, and you either try and add someone else, or you keep the current team and hope there's a God and he's on your side.

If the pitching staff remains crazy good the rest of the year, and I certainly think that's a possibility, that bat may not be required. It's just a wait and see game at that point.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 10:05 PM)
You stay the course. That's been Williams' MO his entire career. If the right deal comes up, you make it. If not, don't. It doesn't matter if they're winning or losing, that's all he's ever done. If the Twins add Cliff Lee, then s*** happens, and you either try and add someone else, or you keep the current team and hope there's a God and he's on your side.

If the pitching staff remains crazy good the rest of the year, and I certainly think that's a possibility, that bat may not be required. It's just a wait and see game at that point.

I'm speaking from my point of view, not KW's. Just worried about my confidence in our chances.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
The problem is, personally I think we need another big bat to keep up with the current Twins roster. If they add Cliff Lee, well, I just don't know what to think.

I think the Sox can offset the Lee trade if it happens by acquiring reasonable offensive help. The problem is, to your point, I don't think just offsetting such a move would be good enough. And this isn't even taking Detroit into account.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I gotta say, I wouldn't be totally upset. It would be really nice to see the Twins going all in for a guy that is most likely leaving anyway, and to have them weaken that farm system as much as possible. For all of the people who think we can win this anyway, this is a win/win.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 04:40 AM)
Kenny will have a better hand then the Twins.

He upstaged them last year.

Pretty hard to have a better hand than one of the top 3 pitchers in all of baseball. I'm not as concerned about the Sox facing Lee, as I think we can hit his fastball. It's the other, more mediocre teams in the AL, that I think Lee will dominate and allow the Twins to rack up wins.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 12:41 AM)
I'd be willing to argue that if the Twins actually offered that, the deal would be done already. That's an overpay for a half season rental of a pitcher IMO.

You're right. That would be an overpay. But that just goes to show that these aren't the Twins of the past. With the new park in place, they're looking to spend, or in this case sacrifice some of their future to go for it this year. They wouldn't even be in the conversation for Lee a few years ago.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 01:37 AM)
You're right. That would be an overpay. But that just goes to show that these aren't the Twins of the past. With the new park in place, they're looking to spend, or in this case sacrifice some of their future to go for it this year. They wouldn't even be in the conversation for Lee a few years ago.

Meh.. unless they are offering Gibson and Revere, they aren't losing THAT much of their future. Ramos is obviously blocked (well.. for the moment barring a move to DH/3B) and Hicks, who I like alot, will be a loss, but they will have Span for a while out there also and an improving Young in LF. The writing was on the wall with their money when they signed Mauer to that loaded $ deal. Couple that with their superior scouting and they are in good shape.