Cliff Lee to Twins?

Heads22

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 02:57 AM)
Meh.. unless they are offering Gibson and Revere, they aren't losing THAT much of their future. Ramos is obviously blocked (well.. for the moment barring a move to DH/3B) and Hicks, who I like alot, will be a loss, but they will have Span for a while out there also and an improving Young in LF. The writing was on the wall with their money when they signed Mauer to that loaded $ deal. Couple that with their superior scouting and they are in good shape.

I think it's an overpay in the context that he's only there three months. Now if they can somehow sign him to a multi-year contract, then it's the steal of the decade (not really, but you get my point).

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 5, 2010 -> 11:40 PM)
Kenny will have a better hand then the Twins.

He upstaged them last year.

Ummm....the Twins actually added some pieces last year, like Orlando Cabrera, Jon Rauch, Ron Mahay and Carl Pavano.

We might have upstaged them in the PR battle with the controversial Rios move (everyone thought KW was crazy crazy!!) and Peavy (although Richard has turned out to be an NL All-Star, nearly).

But the team basically wallowed in the mire (thanks, Jim Morrison) between 5 games below and 5 games above .500 for much of the 2nd half, never got any type of momentum or identity going.

Ironically enough, the two players we've shed, Swisher and Pods, would be two quite important pieces had they stayed around (or, in Swisher's case, managed not to pull an imitation of AJ Pierzynski in SF).

Then they added Hudson and Thome, those have all been key pieces, maybe not HUGE signings, but the money/prospects are there if they want to go after either Lee or Oswalt.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them end up with Oswalt.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 08:05 AM)
Ummm....the Twins actually added some pieces last year, like Orlando Cabrera, Jon Rauch, Ron Mahay and Carl Pavano.

We might have upstaged them in the PR battle with the controversial Rios move (everyone thought KW was crazy crazy!!) and Peavy (although Richard has turned out to be an NL All-Star, nearly).

Thats what I meant. Kenny likes to make PR moves (I still can't think of how the Griffey trade would have made sense otherwise) and last year how he completely upstaged O-Cab and Washburn.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 07:58 AM)
How does Texas or Cincinnati not mortgage everything they have for Cliff Lee?

Because that would go against everything both of those franchises have done to get themselves where they are now after a long period of irrelevance.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 07:58 AM)
How does Texas or Cincinnati not mortgage everything they have for Cliff Lee? neither has been even close and now they both have legitimate shots.

Sox need to get into the talks and try to make a three way deal if necessary.

Texas can't add salary. Forget about them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
Texas can't add salary. Forget about them.

That's true too, although I will say Cincinnati can add salary. But to the point you're quoting, the Reds and Rangers have got good again at long last due to a mixture of shrewd veteran acquisitions and building from within. To just dump the farm now for a 3 month rental goes against everything those two franchises are trying to do, and are now seeing success in doing.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
Because that would go against everything both of those franchises have done to get themselves where they are now after a long period of irrelevance.

Yup. Those two have done it through terrific scouting and shrewd trades. I don't blame either of them for not wanting to mortgage their future for a 3-month rental.

Crap, you just said what I said.

Edited by Jordan4life

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/bl...L7PQLanchO7DiUr

Twins' blogger reminds fans of Doyle Alexander/John Smoltz consequences of Lee or Oswalt trade

Daniels really really looked like he was in over his head the first 2 years as GM, but he's really righted the ship...he made some horrible trades in those days, like acquiring Adam Eaton and Otsuka for Chris Young and Adrian Gonzalez, Danks/McCarthy, etc.

Elvis Andrus, Jarrod Saltalamcchia, Matt Harrison, Neftali Felix (two All-Stars) for Mark Teixeira rental (for two months) and Ron Mahay, not bad at all...especially compared to some of the recent hauls from Cliff Lee, Halladay and CC Sabathia. Salty has disappointed, but it was still a great trade...and he obviously struck gold with Josh Hamilton and Vladdy Guerrero (we'll see how he holds up in the 2nd half).

Hard to imagine how could the White Sox would be with Guerrero...many of us were arguing for that move during the offseason, if we weren't going to keep Thome.

The Twins have a bunch of nobody's in their rotation (Liriano the exception) keeping them in the race for the Central and they add a guy like Cliff Lee and you can only imagine how potent that ball club can be down the stretch.