7/6 - Los Angeles vs. Chicago

Heads22

There's hundreds of minor league and unemployed players who can do those exact same things.

OK.

Well then he should feel special because there's something about him or his game that has made the Blue Jays at this time think he's a valuable sub.

Obviously I'm not the only person thinks he's worthy of wearing a big league uniform.

He's wearing one tonight.

I never said he should play every day. But to tell me he flat out sucks is just wrong. He is capable of playing a role on a big league team and earning the minimum salary.

And I didn't bring his name up tonight on this thread. Somebody pointed out he hit a big home run and the discussion ensued.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 08:06 PM)
OK.

Well then he should feel special because there's something about him or his game that has made the Blue Jays at this time think he's a valuable sub.

Obviously I'm not the only person thinks he's worthy of wearing a big league uniform.

I never said he should play every day. But to tell me he flat out sucks is just wrong. He is capable of playing a role on a big league team and earning the minimum salary.

define "sucks" for me. I want to hear your definition

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 07:46 PM)
Uh the uniform he is wearing begs to differ.

He is playing ... and excelling tonight in the big leagues.

He is a quality bench guy. How can you not see that? There is value in his speed and glove and occasional pop.

He had some big hits for the white sox as well as THE CATCH.

I like Wise.

Some of you act like praising him for the catch is a bad thing. It was a great great moment in Sox history. WTF.

Greg, every baseball player that has made it this far along the ranks of professional baseball to have played in Major League games is probably a pretty solid athlete in some sense of the word. Many are great fielders. Many are decent fastball hitters. Some have great arms. If they didn't have some pretty amazing talent, especially when compared to you, or me or Kyle, they would have never progressed as far along in high school and/or college ball, and then into professional baseball as they have.

However, simply because certain guys may have some pretty amazing athletic abilities does not in any way qualify them, based on that alone, to be one of the best 750 or so best baseball players in the world. Yes, DeWayne is fast and can run down a fly ball very well. But that doesn't mean he should hold one of the 14 non-pitching roster spots on a Major League baseball team! I could probably go down to the local high school and hold tryouts and find quite a few guys that run down fly balls awfully well. But unless you can hit (or at least get on base) at some minimal threshold (usually at least 32-33% of the time), you simply are not going to occupy one of these roster spots for long.

We have nothing personal against DeWayne, and in fact, he will always hold a special place in many of our hearts. But he simply is not a good major league hitter, and thus, will not experience a long career in the major leagues, despite your insistence that he deserves to.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 08:08 PM)
Greg, every baseball player that has made it this far along the ranks of professional baseball to have played in Major League games is probably a pretty solid athlete in some sense of the word. Many are great fielders. Many are decent fastball hitters. Some have great arms. If they didn't have some pretty amazing talent, especially when compared to you, or me or Kyle, they would have never progressed as far along in high school and/or college ball, and then into professional baseball as they have.

However, simply because certain guys may have some pretty amazing athletic abilities does not in any way qualify them, based on that alone, to be one of the best 750 or so best baseball players in the world. Yes, DeWayne is fast and can run down a fly ball very well. But that doesn't mean he should hold one of the 14 non-pitching roster spots on a Major League baseball team! I could probably go down to the local high school and hold tryouts and find quite a few guys that run down fly balls awfully well. But unless you can hit (or at least get on base) at some minimal threshold (usually at least 32-33% of the time), you simply are not going to occupy one of these roster spots for long.

We have nothing personal against DeWayne, and in fact, he will always hold a special place in many of our hearts. But he simply is not a good major league hitter, and thus, will not experience a long career in the major leagues, despite your insistence that he deserves to.

Hey!!!!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 08:06 PM)
OK.

And I didn't bring his name up tonight on this thread. Somebody pointed out he hit a big home run and the discussion ensued.

He was a free agent as of June 9th. They needed an outfielder and went for the old retread rather than a minor leaguer that may not be ready.

You say there's a reason he's on a roster, I say there's a reason why he was a free agent on June 9th.

But that doesn't mean he should hold one of the 14 non-pitching roster spots on a Major League baseball team! I could probably go down to the local high school and hold tryouts and find quite a few guys that run down fly balls awfully well. But unless you can hit (or at least get on base) at some minimal threshold (usually at least 32-33% of the time), you simply are not going to occupy one of these roster spots for long.

I disagree especially with your first sentence.

And to beat Rivera with a 3 run homer the other day and make a great catch tonight and hit another bomb. Yes these are just 2 instances, arguably providing the Jays with more than Beckham say has given us all this season.

Some guys belong as the last guy on the roster.

This guy fits the bill as a last roster outfielder, pinch runner, late inning fielder, whatever.

Some say the hatred is because Ozzie started him and led him off to start the season. well you are all smart baseball people. The hate should be all on Ozzie.

I doubt a high school kid could bash a homer off Rivera and roam center like he can.

This guy isn't as good a hitter as Teahen I will admit that.

I am all for keeping Teahen, but not crazy having Teahen start, especially at third.

Wise can draw a paycheck as he's doing and feel like he's earning it, though. I do not classify him as a bum.

again greg, define "sucks".

Princess Dye, please define quality bench player, since you also feel this way about him.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 08:13 PM)

And to beat Rivera with a 3 run homer the other day and make a great catch tonight and hit another bomb. Yes these are just 2 instances, arguably providing the Jays with more than Beckham say has given us all this season.

This guy fits the bill as a last roster outfielder, pinch runner, late inning fielder, whatever.

Some say the hatred is because Ozzie started him and led him off to start the season. well you are all smart baseball people. The hate should be all on Ozzie.

I doubt a high school kid could bash a homer off Rivera and roam center like he can.

I am all for keeping Teahen, but not crazy having Teahen start, especially at third.

Wise can draw a paycheck as he's doing and feel like he's earning it, though. I do not classify him as a bum.

Bryce Harper, but you are cherry picking what shack was saying. he mentioned that athletes in the majors progressed through hs, college, minors, he didnt say a high schooler could hit Rivera or roam center like he can. Although really, Wise isnt this amazing CF you are making him out to be either, there are high schoolers out there that are probably leaps and bounds ahead of him in high school, and Wise has been in the majors for 8 years

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 01:10 AM)
I think you're on the wrong channel. Fox Sports West does not show pokaman.

Hey Buddy - I was just joking :)

Jared Weaver bio's are as entertaining to me as Pokamon -- especially when I've already slatted to see our sox open up a can of whooooop ass on him :)

come on baseball!!!!!

Ok, well, I tried to be nice about it.

You're just wrong, Greg, and not even worth another moment of my time debating it with you.

Travis Snider is due back after the All-Star break at which point Wise will likely find himself either in the minors or unemployed once again. This is the life of the journeyman. A player gets hurt and the team brings him in for a few weeks to a month to fill out the roster (it helps if the organization is familiar with your as the Jays are with Wise since he spent 4 years in their system after doing nothing with Cincy) then the starter comes back and the journeyman is left looking for a job.

Wise didn't homer off Rivera, he homered off Hughes. He got a little single into center off Rivera.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 08:19 PM)
Sorry not trying to be an ass. I don't understand the question. I never said I was Einstein.

you said Wise doesnt suck. Im asking you to look at Wise's career numbers, and try to tell me that his overall numbers do not suck. What is your definition of a player that sucks?