Peavy Done for Year; Marquez Up

knightni

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 08:00 AM)
Also... I assume we'll see Torres or Hudson called up for pen duty until the ASB, Peavy to DL, then Hudson taking Peavy's slot after the break until he's back.

Torres started last night. So we could see someone else called up for short duty before Hudson is called up to start.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:02 AM)
If the trade deadline comes by and the Sox can get an impact bat for Hudson and Peavy is still one or two starts from being back...does Torres take the spot or do the Sox go ballsy and use Sale?

I haven't looked at a schedule but I'm basing this off the idea that the Sox have played a few less games than the Twins, I would imagine the Sox don't have a ton of off days or at least a double header or two, so unfortunately I think the 5th starter being skipped isn't going to be an option must. If that's true I would feel more comfortable with Hudson being rolled out there every 5th game.

If it wouldn't have taken Hudson to get Laroche, I don't see how it could have, hopefully the Sox could score him, he contributes and Hudson becomes a solid starter and is never dealt, that has to be the best case scenario for the me in this situation (already helped that Peavy didn't hurt his shoulder or elbow)

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 11:02 AM)
If the trade deadline comes by and the Sox can get an impact bat for Hudson and Peavy is still one or two starts from being back...does Torres take the spot or do the Sox go ballsy and use Sale?

Well, they pretty much guaranteed he'd be up around then anyway so my guess is they would give him a shot.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 08:55 AM)
The way he reacted, it was obviously a muscle strain of some kind. It's rare that you tear something significantly with one pitch. It's usually a slow degeneration.

He has more than a Grade one strain, probably a two based on the reaction. The lat is a muscle that is on the back but has about a 7 inch long tendon that wraps around the bottom of the shoulder and attaches in the same groove that the biceps tendon passes through on the anterior portion of the shoulder. The function of the lats during the pitching motion is acceleration of the internal rotation toward the plate and to stabilize the anterior movement of the humeral head. This is nowhere near as bad as if he injured the deceleration muscles such as the rotator cuff muscles. One worry is that with the previous "fluid build up" is there an underlying instability in the glenohumeral joint that is affecting all of these different tissues. It's hard to tell by symptoms and I'm sure the medical staff is monitoring it.

He will probably need 1-2 weeks of healing then a buildup of strength, so he is probably looking at 3-4 weeks.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 09:05 AM)
He had a strain not a sprain. The difference is that when looking at different tissues a sprain involves ligaments or passive tissue whereas a strain involves muscles or active tissue.

they are graded the same. usually on a 1 to 3 but some physicians use a 1 to 5 scale.

A grade 1 is a involves minor soreness and edema with no lose of motion and activity level. This is typically " advanced soreness"

A grade 2 involves a tear of up to 50% of the fibers with moderate pain and edema with up to 50% lose of painfree motion and activity must be limited.

A grade 3 is a near rupture of the tissue involved with significant pain and edema and an inability to do most any activity.

Rehab of the active vs. passive tissue is totally different and pretty well described in your paragraphs above.

Great stuff as always. Thanks!

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:02 AM)

They're concerned about the number of innings Sale racked up so far this year.

So, I don't see them counting on him to start.

Bullpen later in the year, maybe.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 10:33 AM)
If you want a capsule of the emotional DNA of Soxtalk, check out the 50 posts after he walked off the field. 99.99999999 percent to I saw him say my elbow popped.

one of the ugliest I've ever seen the board was a few weeks ago when his start had to be pushed back there were posters basically hoping he was injured

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
If you want a capsule of the emotional DNA of Soxtalk, check out the 50 posts after he walked off the field. 99.99999999 percent to I saw him say my elbow popped.

He said something popped, they even repeated that on the radio this morning.

QUOTE (hawksox13 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 07:33 AM)
Here's the way I'm trying to look at this: I'm assuming Jake is going to miss at least nine starts, which is about 6.5 weeks of being injured/unable to pitch. I'll also assume that the Sox would have won six of those nine starts based on how well Jake has been pitching lately. It'll come down to how many of those nine starts the Sox can win with Hudson on the mound.

With the way they've been playing I think there's a chance they can still win six out of those nine starts. It'll be interesting to see the Sox record in Hudson's starts while Peavy is out. But I'm with the group that thinks this will cost the Sox less games than if Rios or Konerko were to go down for the same six or seven week period. Time will tell, but with the way this team is playing right now I think they can withstand this injury. Now if it turns out to be season ending....well that's a different story. I'll hold my breath until the MRI results come back today.

Don't know how people are looking at this as if they're picking between whether it's worse to have a key offensive player out or a key starting pitcher out? This is going to be a very tight division race for the next 2.5 months, with the Sox having the most difficult schedule among the three contenders and we'll need every single win we can get, so there's nothing positive about JFP being out for multiple weeks/starts the way he's been throwing

If Peavy is only out a month, I'd be absolutely thrilled. Here's the next question though. Let's say it's July 31, and we have an opportunity to acquire a big bat, but need to include Hudson. Would you be willing to deal Hudson and trust Peavy will be back and healthy within a week or two?

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 11:30 AM)
Anyone else worried that Jake will consistently be battling injuries?

Not sure, but I've always been nervous about his form. He seems to go across the body a lot more than others, and there is a certain bounce to his delivery that seems awkward. I would worry about his shoulder. But then, I am far from any sort of expert on pitching mechanics, so maybe I have no clue.

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 11:24 AM)
Don't know how people are looking at this as if they're picking between whether it's worse to have a key offensive player out or a key starting pitcher out? This is going to be a very tight division race for the next 2.5 months, with the Sox having the most difficult schedule among the three contenders and we'll need every single win we can get, so there's nothing positive about JFP being out for multiple weeks/starts the way he's been throwing

If JFP were to be out for the year, he would miss about 15 more starts. Assuming the team goes 10-5 in games he starts, then as long as Hudson can hit the .500 mark, they would only lose a game or two in the standings. I know in this division one game has meant everything the last two years, but it can still be won. Losing a Rios or PK would hurt much more IMO.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 11:36 AM)
If JFP were to be out for the year, he would miss about 15 more starts. Assuming the team goes 10-5 in games he starts, then as long as Hudson can hit the .500 mark, they would only lose a game or two in the standings. I know in this division one game has meant everything the last two years, but it can still be won. Losing a Rios or PK would hurt much more IMO.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)
Some blogger is saying Marquez is getting called up. I suppose they could throw him in the bullpen until Sunday before Hudson gets called up.

Source? Link?

If true, I think if anything they are just trying to up his value, and not use another option on Hudson or Torres.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 12:31 PM)
Source? Link?

If true, I think if anything they are just trying to up his value, and not use another option on Hudson or Torres.

Or they might want to let Hudson make another start in AAA, and then pitch in the future's game and AAA All-Star game to try and increase his value in any manner that they can.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)
Hopefully Marquez is called up for long relief, and then sent down for Hudson to start on Sunday. Marquez better not be starting vs KC

I'm sure Marquez is coming up for Relief. Torres just started so he wouldn't be available, Hudson is not ready either. They'll use Marquez as depth in the pen for a couple days, than promote Huddy to face off against Greinke.