Peavy Done for Year; Marquez Up

knightni

Detached may not mean fully severed, in which case surgery may not be necessary. Part of the muscle can detach, and the muscle generally can heal. Beyond that, ptatc will have to provide more color.

And us acquiring an SP doesn't seem to make much sense. Unless they either don't believe in Hudson (and I think they do), or Hudson is being traded.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
If it's truly detached the season is over for him. The long tendon of the lat can be ruptured from the attachment site in the bicepital groove on the anterior part of the humeral head. This would be the grade 3 tendon injury. If this is what happened he will need surgery. The physician will need to find the tendon re-route it back up through the groove and re-attach it. The good news is that tendons usually respond very well to re-attachment to bone. If it is in the mid-tendon area, it is much worse but it usually comes off the bone.

This is similar to the injury that Mitchell suffered in ST where a tendon pops off the bone. This is a best case 3 month injury and worst 8 to 9 month injury.

debbie-downer-2.jpg

I kid because I care. Thanks for the info.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
Detached may not mean fully severed, in which case surgery may not be necessary. Part of the muscle can detach, and the muscle generally can heal. Beyond that, ptatc will have to provide more color.

And us acquiring an SP doesn't seem to make much sense. Unless they either don't believe in Hudson (and I think they do), or Hudson is being traded.

If they say detached, that means it came off the bone.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
If it's truly detached the season is over for him. The long tendon of the lat can be ruptured from the attachment site in the bicepital groove on the anterior part of the humeral head. This would be the grade 3 tendon injury. If this is what happened he will need surgery. The physician will need to find the tendon re-route it back up through the groove and re-attach it. The good news is that tendons usually respond very well to re-attachment to bone. If it is in the mid-tendon area, it is much worse but it usually comes off the bone.

This is similar to the injury that Mitchell suffered in ST where a tendon pops off the bone. This is a best case 3 month injury and worst 8 to 9 month injury.

I have never seen this injury in a pitcher. I have seen it in other throwers, javelin specifically and it went well.

So the Sox intramural track and field team still has hope.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 03:27 PM)
From DeLuca: Detatched lat for Peavy likely means he's out till Sept. best-case. White Sox will pursue starter on trade market.

What? Why?

My guess is this is just this guy's rash, uneducated opinion.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)
Marquez was scheduled to pitch tonight for Charlotte, so he is rested. Maybe start him tonight and push everyone back a day?

They used almost the entire bullpen yesterday. Why risk throwing in a guy that could get rocked in the 1st inning?

Marquez was scheduled to pitch tonight for Charlotte, so he is rested. Maybe start him tonight and push everyone back a day?

No, if you start Marquez, it's the last day before the break, and you put out the Sunday-est of all Sunday lineups, giving as many guys as you can a 4 day break, and hoping you get lucky and pull out a win.

I think he's there just because Pena was used so much last night. He'll be in the pen until Saturday, and then Hudson will start Sunday.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
They used almost the entire bullpen yesterday. Why risk throwing in a guy that could get rocked in the 1st inning?

True, but Marquez will get rocked regardless.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 03:41 PM)
What pitchers are available and who in the hell would the Sox give up? Why not give Torres a shot in the rotation before Hudson?

Because Dan Hudson is a much, much better pitcher than Carlos Torres.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
No, if you start Marquez, it's the last day before the break, and you put out the Sunday-est of all Sunday lineups, giving as many guys as you can a 4 day break, and hoping you get lucky and pull out a win.

We do that almost everyday already.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
You're really not worried about the downgrade? It's the pitching that has been keeping us alive. A weakened rotation with a mediocre offense will most likely not win this division. But that's just my opinion.

Below is what I said earlier in the thread, it definitely hurts us but doesn't put us out of the race.

If JFP were to be out for the year, he would miss about 15 more starts. Realistically assuming the team goes 10-5 in games he starts, then as long as Hudson can hit the .500 mark, they would only lose a game or two in the standings. I know in this division one game has meant everything the last two years, but it can still be won. Losing a Rios or PK would hurt much more IMO.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
Below is what I said earlier in the thread, it definitely hurts us but doesn't put us out of the race.

If JFP were to be out for the year, he would miss about 15 more starts. Realistically assuming the team goes 10-5 in games he starts, then as long as Hudson can hit the .500 mark, they would only lose a game or two in the standings. I know in this division one game has meant everything the last two years, but it can still be won. Losing a Rios or PK would hurt much more IMO.

But he's an innings eater. Hudson averaging 5 innings or so per start will have an overall adverse effect on the entire bullpen.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 03:45 PM)
But he's an innings eater. Hudson averaging 5 innings or so per start will have an overall adverse effect on the entire bullpen.

I wouldn't read too much into his current inning load in Charlotte. There can be multiple reasons for his inning and pitch counts.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 03:46 PM)
I wouldn't read too much into his current inning load in Charlotte. There can be multiple reasons for his inning and pitch counts.

I wasn't even referring to what Hudson is doing in Charlotte. I mean does anyone think he can come up and be as dominant as Jake's been looking over the last month or so and pitch deep into games on a regular basis? Unlikely.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
We do that almost everyday already.

But atleast with Konerko, Rios, and with a resurgent Quentin, there's some semblance of a major league lineup. I'm talking like

Pierre - LF

Vizquel - DH

Kotsay - 1B

Jones - RF

Viciedo - 3B

Ramirez - SS

Castro - C

Lillibridge - CF

Beckham - 2B

and you'd let Marquez throw 150 pitches if that's what it took to get him through 6 innings. Then you could give the ball to Linebrink for the remaining 3 and hope that his arm falls off and you can put him on the DL.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 03:48 PM)
But atleast with Konerko, Rios, and with a resurgent Quentin, there's some semblance of a major league lineup. I'm talking like

Pierre - LF

Vizquel - DH

Kotsay - 1B

Jones - RF

Viciedo - 3B

Ramirez - SS

Castro - C

Lillibridge - CF

Beckham - 2B

and you'd let Marquez throw 150 pitches if that's what it took to get him through 6 innings. Then you could give the ball to Linebrink for the remaining 3 and hope that his arm falls off and you can put him on the DL.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 03:48 PM)
I wasn't even referring to what Hudson is doing in Charlotte. I mean does anyone think he can come up and be as dominant as Jake's been looking over the last month or so and pitch deep into games on a regular basis? Unlikely.

That is a good point. I think our bullpen is a strength on this team, so I hope they can handle the extra inning or two every turn of the rotation they might need to throw. The offense might need to hit a little more with Hudson on the mound than with Peavy too. I didn't say it was gonna be easier to win the division, but I don't think it's suddenly out of reach by any means.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 04:05 PM)
cst_sox Marquez said he was told he would work out of the bullpen for "a few days." Hudson is still on the radar for Sunday.

MDGonzales Said surgery is likely, adding muscles and ligaments totally detached from bone

Awesome, add a Mark McGwire bicep for the hell of it.

Sounds like this could have been avoided if they did an MRI after the KC start, but because the MRI a week before that came back clean, they decided not to do another one. At this point, hopefully he's fine for 2011. What pitchers have come back from this injury in the past?