Peavy Done for Year; Marquez Up

knightni

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)
Insurance wouldn't kick in for this season, IIRC, it's only if the guy misses the entire season (ie: Joe Nathan). If he can't recover and pitch next year, then we'd get money for him.

Well doesn't that suck.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3. The Sox should probably add some insurance at the minor league level, and they should do it quickly.

If the Sox go the free agent route, Braden Looper is an option, albeit not a very enticing one.

But here's a thought: the Sox should go after Pedro Martinez.

Martinez is planning on pitching this year, and although the Phillies likely would be front-runners, the Sox could have a shot if they aggressively pursue Martinez in the coming weeks. If Martinez was to sign, he'd need multiple weeks in the minors to get ready, which really would be perfect for the Sox.

First, those weeks would allow the Sox to what Hudson can do. If he struggles, Martinez could replace Hudson in the rotation if/when he's ready.

Second, if Garcia was to get injured, Torres could cover the starts to bridge the gap between Garcia and Martinez. It's not the most ideal situation, but it's one the Sox could afford to let happen.

And third, if Hudson pitches well and Garcia stays healthy, the Sox would have a surplus of pitching. And there's never anything wrong with that.

If the Sox trade for a starter, it likely wouldn't be Ted Lilly or any established veteran of Lilly's ilk (and don't even think about Cliff Lee. The Sox are not getting Cliff Lee). Instead, the Sox would basically be looking for Carlos Torres 2.0, an quadruple-A starter who wouldn't cost much to acquire. In other words, it'd be a lateral move.

So if the Sox are looking to add another starter, Pedro Martinez may be the best option available.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 10:58 AM)
Marquez didn't have a very good showing for his first inning pitched in the bigs. Gave up a two run homer. He should go down and Hudson be up on Sunday

He was throwing the curveball too hard and not getting any break on it. I am guessing that was adrenaline. I haven't seen the kid pitch before, but that didn't sound like what they had talked about with him.

My guess is that he'll come back and be the same pitcher, without the drop down pitches. I've rehabbed this injury before, although not with a pitcher and they were fine. The positive side of this injury is that it is not a stabilizer of the shoulder such as the rotator cuff or the biceps. The surgery is to reattach a tendon to bone which a lot easier than repairing a tendon like in a rotator cuff surgery or cartilage like in a labrum surgery. It's an uncommon surgery but an easier one.

I do agree giving pitchers long contracts is very risky. I would rather give them alot of money in shorter term deals.

Thank you so much for your posts. You are an awesome poster.

CHICAGO -- Chicago White Sox right-hander Jake Peavy had surgery Wednesday to repair a detached latissimus dorsi muscle in his right posterior shoulder. He will miss the rest of the season.

The surgery at Rush University Medical Center revealed a clean avulsion of the tendon off the bone with little or no muscle damage, doctors said. The procedure was performed by a team of surgeons from Midwest Orthopedics, led by Dr. Tony Romeo and Dr. Greg Nicholson and assisted by Dr. Charles-Bush Joseph.

The team said in a release that the season-ending surgery was a success. Peavy said last week he hoped to be throwing by spring training in February.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/news/story?id=5380871

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 05:09 AM)

Can someone explain this to a laymen like myself - in terms of possible future implications.

It means that the tendon (connector) was torn straight from the bone without actually damaging the muscle fibers. Basically, if his lat were attached to something right now, he could use it in a completely normal manner, stretching it and contracting it without problems. That's good because things like muscle tears are very hard to come back from and require a bunch of rehab to come back at full strength, whereas things like tendon re-attachments occur without too many lasting repercussions...most of the time.

So I completely sliced through my tendon on top of my thumb last November and it had to be immobilized for 6 weeks to grow back together. It didn't move when the cast came off and required a month or 2 of therapy to regain movement. It still has residual tightness, acheyness, etc and I think they told me that would last for a year.

The point is I put alot of strain on the area being a carpenter, and I started adding loads to it as I felt I could. It wasn't long before I was able to do most everything. Granted I cut a tendon completely in half, not detached from one end. 3 months I was back in the game. I just wonder if he's gonna have to work through soreness all next year and how much that will affect him. If detaching a tendon is similar to slicing one in half, then he could be throwing baseballs sooner than we think. Part of his therapy will require him to push it.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)
So I completely sliced through my tendon on top of my thumb last November and it had to be immobilized for 6 weeks to grow back together. It didn't move when the cast came off and required a month or 2 of therapy to regain movement. It still has residual tightness, acheyness, etc and I think they told me that would last for a year.

The point is I put alot of strain on the area being a carpenter, and I started adding loads to it as I felt I could. It wasn't long before I was able to do most everything. Granted I cut a tendon completely in half, not detached from one end. 3 months I was back in the game. I just wonder if he's gonna have to work through soreness all next year and how much that will affect him. If detaching a tendon is similar to slicing one in half, then he could be throwing baseballs sooner than we think. Part of his therapy will require him to push it.

The shoulder will be mostly immobilized for 4-8 weeks depending on what type of anchoer they used to reattach the tendon. The lat is a 7 cm long tendon that needs to wrap around the inside of the humerus. With those variables my guess is that they used a dissolvable anchor similar to the ones they use for SLAP lesions of the labrum. So it's most likely the immobilization will be for 6-8 weeks. Then they will start the slow process of stretching and seeing if the long tendon tightened up enough to restrict full overhead motion. If it did they process will be loger, but they got to it right away so this is unlikely. He will probably be ready to go by December if they a fairly conservative. with the season being over for him there should be no difficulty with him returning for spring training.

This is all based on the usual rehab protocols. The true variable is how the long, thin tendon reacts to the ruture (it's not a true avulsion unless a piece of bone comes with it) abd the layoff. There are structures called Sharpey's fibers which begin as tendon and when it attaches to the bone, it blends in with the periosteum which is the outer covering of the bone. This should racts as most other tendons do but in a unique case like this you can never be sure.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)

the big difference between yours and his will be the amount of stretch his tendon will need to absorb. The tendon in your thumb and wrist will only need to move 45-50 degrees to do most of the activity. His will need to stretch near 250 degrees. If you piut your arm strainght out to the side and point your hand to the floor with your elbow bent this would be 0 degrees. This is about the position during the early cocking phase of pitching. Now, rotate your shoulder so your arm is pointing straight up in the air behind your head as pitcher do during late cocking phase. This is 180 degrees of motion. A typical MLB pitcher will get their arm pointing almost straight backwards druing the accerleration phase. So these tendons need to not olny be very strong but also flexible. This is the true dichotmy of the pitching shoulder strong and loose while being stable.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
2 questions ptatc (and if you've answered either/both, my apologies):

1. Are you concerned about Peavy long term with his mechanics?

2. Apparently, the surgery he had is one that hasn't been done on a pitcher before. Is that a major concern?

IMHO, and I'm no expert the second questions kind of answers the first one.

Seems that Peavy uses his back/lat muscle when he throws more than anyone else and it finally gave up on him, I'm really skeptical about him ever being able to pitch the way he used to.

Maybe dr. PTATC can chime in on this.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 02:01 PM)
The shoulder will be mostly immobilized for 4-8 weeks depending on what type of anchoer they used to reattach the tendon. The lat is a 7 cm long tendon that needs to wrap around the inside of the humerus. With those variables my guess is that they used a dissolvable anchor similar to the ones they use for SLAP lesions of the labrum. So it's most likely the immobilization will be for 6-8 weeks. Then they will start the slow process of stretching and seeing if the long tendon tightened up enough to restrict full overhead motion. If it did they process will be loger, but they got to it right away so this is unlikely. He will probably be ready to go by December if they a fairly conservative. with the season being over for him there should be no difficulty with him returning for spring training.

This is all based on the usual rehab protocols. The true variable is how the long, thin tendon reacts to the ruture (it's not a true avulsion unless a piece of bone comes with it) abd the layoff. There are structures called Sharpey's fibers which begin as tendon and when it attaches to the bone, it blends in with the periosteum which is the outer covering of the bone. This should racts as most other tendons do but in a unique case like this you can never be sure.

That's what I was going to say, but you beat me to it. :P

Ptatc's evaluation doesn't sound good.

As it turned out, Jake was a complete waste of money. He's a gamer and all, but it's money down the drain.

And yes, I wish him the best in his recovery. It sucks he got hurt. I don't feel sorry for baseball teams that waste money like this, however. Giving pitchers multi year megabuck deals is just stupid in this day and age of coddling arms that in the best of times can't give a team more than 105 pitches a night. Nobody held a gun to the head of owners who brought this upon themselves.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 03:03 AM)

As it turned out, Jake was a complete waste of money. He's a gamer and all, but it's money down the drain.

And yes, I wish him the best in his recovery. It sucks he got hurt. I don't feel sorry for baseball teams that waste money like this, however. Giving pitchers multi year megabuck deals is just stupid in this day and age of coddling arms that in the best of times can't give a team more than 105 pitches a night. Nobody held a gun to the head of owners who brought this upon themselves.

Was? What? Dude has another few seasons here, let's not get ahead of ourselves, Eeyore.

Easy now, champ. It's a long time until ST of 2011, when Peavy will supposedly be ready to come back. That might be a stretch, but let's wait and see what happens before we say he was a waste of money.

What if this had happened to Jenks? Would you feel the same way?

Sorry, greg, I had to.

What if Ozzie got hurt, lol?

Is he covered by insurance? If he goes crazy like Zambrano and has to attend more classes....?

Joking...

Greg, I'm not sure why you are giving up on Peavy so quickly. He's a competitor, he's not going to see his baseball (and pitching career) end unless there's simply no way to deal with pain or injury, like what happened with Brad Radke at the end.

Yes, it's a rare injury, but who's to say he won't be even better when he comes back and is throwing pain free? And we still don't even know if the White Sox are getting some of that $37.5 million back in insurance settlement payments....maybe.

He's here until 2012, still a lot of time left. Stop the negativity man.

Edited by chw42

He's here until 2012, still a lot of time left. Stop the negativity man.

I thought people wanted me to be more negative. I get ripped for praising CQ and Bobby and Ozzie a lot.

I said I like Peavy's attitude and wish him well. I also just said what ptatc wrote "doesn't sound good." And it doesn't. This injury sounds pretty s***ty to me and it's pretty easy to make the jump to the fact it's wasted money.

I also said I don't care about that because the Sox and all teams deserve what they get in paying wasted contracts when pitchers go down. These contracts are ridiculous considering the nature of the arm/sthoulder in this day and age of pampering pitchers.

• 1 month later...

So I just had an idea run through my head.....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when a pitcher recovers from Tommy John Surgery, it's not usual for him to see a slight increase in velocity....

So what happens if something similar happens to Peavy from this injury? I'm no doctor, I have no knowledge of the sorts (which is why I searched for this thread instead of starting a new one), but wouldn't that be amazing?

Or maybe somehow it allows him to have some other advantage in some way. Just bored and thought about throwing this out there. I am pumped to see how he returns from this, and just thought it would be interesting to learn about how a pitcher recovers from this since it's never been performed on a pitcher before.