Peavy Done for Year; Marquez Up

knightni

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
Allow me to pose this very pessimistic question (I know, surprising): How deflating would it be to lose Peavy for the season after doing so much in the last three weeks to climb right into the thick of things?

That's just depressing to even think about.

It'd be depresing, but honestly, I think we can survive if we acquire a big bat.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:54 PM)
It'd be depresing, but honestly, I think we can survive if we acquire a big bat.

I don't know about that, especially with the very real possibility of the Twins acquiring Lee. I'd say we need another hitter and a good reliever, but then we'd only be able to make it by the skin of our teeth.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:54 PM)
I don't think that has any bearing it. The situation feels like a kick in the balls.

Relax, guys. No need to grab a gun. Just wait for a report. We know he has bursitis in the shoulder, but we also know that the earlier MRI showed only that.

He likely just worsened that condition and maybe something more. He'll probably 15 day DL + AS Break. Hudson is a helluva replacement. Sox won't miss a beat.

We've got 4 quality guys in the pen right now, so bullpen help is the last thing we need really. We don't have a true long reliever, but we can live with that. The thing with tonight is I don't think LaRoche is going to cut it now in terms of a bat. We have to go big or not bother now IMO.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
Relax, guys. No need to grab a gun. Just wait for a report. We know he has bursitis in the shoulder, but we also know that the earlier MRI showed only that.

He likely just worsened that condition and maybe something more. He'll probably 15 day DL + AS Break. Hudson is a helluva replacement. Sox won't miss a beat.

I don't share your optimism obviously. We all know Jake Peavy is a competitor. I can't see him just going right out of the game unless he knew something was very wrong.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 09:56 PM)
I don't know about that, especially with the very real possibility of the Twins acquiring Lee. I'd say we need another hitter and a good reliever, but then we'd only be able to make it by the skin of our teeth.

"Very real possibility?" BS. There are at least other 3 teams in on a Lee deal. The Twins in no way have any kind of inside track there. The Twins suck and have sucked under .500 for 2 months now.

I know i'm usually quite negative, but I don't think we need to absolutely go into s*** our pants panic mode right now. If Kenny thinks this team is good enough though even without Peavy, he has to move and he has to do it quickly. But I've thought that even before tonight.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 03:01 AM)
"Very real possibility?" BS. There are at least other 3 teams in on a Lee deal. The Twins in no way have any kind of inside track there. The Twins suck and have sucked under .500 for 2 months now.

Mariners love Ramos...we need Yankees to offer up Montero.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 10:02 PM)
I love the idea of Peavy, and I actually love him, but we can replace his 4.70 era. This team has potential.

Well, that's not really looking at the big picture. That ERA is coming down, and it coincides with the entire pitching staff heating up.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 10:00 PM)
I don't share your optimism obviously. We all know Jake Peavy is a competitor. I can't see him just going right out of the game unless he knew something was very wrong.

He doesn't know anything more than he couldn't go tonight - and that's as much as we know. He has inflammation

in the shoulder which is pretty painful.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 10:05 PM)
He doesn't know anything more than he couldn't go tonight - and that's as much as we know. He has inflammation

in the shoulder which is pretty painful.

You have no way of knowing this. I understand you're trying to look on the bright side, but Peavy easily could have known immediately that he tore a ligament or tendon.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 7, 2010 -> 03:07 AM)
You have no way of knowing this. I understand you're trying to look on the bright side, but Peavy easily could have known immediately that he tore a ligament or tendon.

Exactly, as Stone said, a veteran pitcher knows the difference between soreness and injury.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 6, 2010 -> 10:07 PM)

The only way he could have easily self-diagnosed like that is if he had injured a ligament or tendon in his pitching arm before in his life. He probably just strained a muscle.