Viciedo...

southsider2k5

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's got a better eye than Uribe. He has better at bats from what I've seen (albeit a small sample). He may not walk, but he usually gets into favorable counts, where as Uribe just swung at everything no matter what the count was.

And Juan's had himself a nice career, don't be hatin'.

He's not brutal in the field. In fact, he looks better than I expected given all the posts people have been making ripping him.

He's no GG candidate, but has good hands and a cannon arm. The other stuff can be learned.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 04:31 PM)
He's not brutal in the field. In fact, he looks better than I expected given all the posts people have been making ripping him.

He's no GG candidate, but has good hands and a cannon arm. The other stuff can be learned.

He needs to find a comfortable location to play at when at third. He's either all the way in, or almost back on the outfield grass.

Something that will be interesting to see is if Viciedo can develop enough power to hit it out to right center. Last year, we saw Beckham with a ton of warning track power to right center, but unfortunately, he hasn't been able to improve on that.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)

He's been surprisingly decent out there.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:34 AM)
Something that will be interesting to see is if Viciedo can develop enough power to hit it out to right center. Last year, we saw Beckham with a ton of warning track power to right center, but unfortunately, he hasn't been able to improve on that.

By all accounts, Viciedo defintely has strong oppo power.

IMHO he has huge upside as a hitter. He's 21 that's so young and he's already a masher against lefties. The pitchers will find out you can't pitch this kid on the outside corner because he'll just crush it right. Sooner or later he's going to take his walks when the pitchers learn how dangerous he is. By the time he's 23 he could be a another Pujols in the making.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
IMHO he has huge upside as a hitter. He's 21 that's so young and he's already a masher against lefties. The pitchers will find out you can't pitch this kid on the outside corner because he'll just crush it right. Sooner or later he's going to take his walks when the pitchers learn how dangerous he is. By the time he's 23 he could be a another Pujols in the making.

and boom goes the dynamite

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)
HA yes there was. I like to think big. I thought the comparisons to Uribe were a little conservative so I went large.

I think he's more of a Micky Mantle type player.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)

This can't be said enough. He throws lasers from third.

I just hope the Sox DO NOT trade him. For some reason I'm thinking back to when we dealt a young Bobby Bonilla to the Pirates. That was a bad move. I think dealing Viciedo this year, when we don't really know how good he might be, would also be a mistake.

He's far more solid in the field, at the plate and physically than I expected. Reminiscent in some ways of Uribe WRT plate discipline but without that corkscrew-out-of-his-shoes swing.

Defense is below average(hey, he just got to the Show) but I'll take him over Teahens's bad juju any and every day.