The silver lining about Hudson/2nd half schedule...

Greg Hibbard

The great thing about 4@Min coming out of the break is that we'll have the big four ready to go, in any order. We save Hudson for the anemic Seattle offense, with their bottom of the barrel park factor. His second start will also be @Oakland, a losing team, and another bottom park factor. His 3rd start would be home vs. that same Athletics team, who btw has just a .699 team OPS. You do have to run him out @Detroit for the four game series, even with the day off, because of the double-header makeup, but it's ANOTHER pitcher's park. After that, his next start would be @Baltimore, which is obviously a brutal team, and another sub .700 team OPS. If form holds, after that it would be vs. Det, vs. Bal, @ Cle...

All losing teams with the exception of the two detroit games...I know he may tank completely in the majors, but relatively speaking, you couldn't have asked for a better schedule alignment than this for a questionable fifth starter slot.

Detroit plays as a hitter's park, and the Tigers offense is pretty good. Any of those matchups with Detroit are going to prove difficult for Hudson. The one great thing about Detroit's lineup is that, outside of Boesch, they really don't have a huge threat from the left side of the plate, and one of Hudson's biggest weaknesses in the majors could be getting lefties out. That's one reason why keeping him as far away from the Twins as possible would be a great thing.

Edited by witesoxfan

great job on research. not saying youre gonna be 100% correct bc it's ozzie, so who knows, but that would be my choice.

dont think hudson tanks it, i dont think thats really a possibility. were looking at a guy who should give us 5-7 innings of 1-5 run ball every outing. we get another hitter, we should be ok.

Post AS Break, I go:

1. Danks

2. Floyd

3. Buehrle

4. Garcia

5. Hudson

Don't skip anyone, and I use a spot starter on August 7th so nobody is on short rest.

That sets up the Minnesota series this way:

1-2-3-4

5-1-2

1-2-3

1-2-3

That's maximizing the lefties.

Detroit series:

3-4-5-1

3-4-5

4-5-1-2

4-5-1

That maximizes the righties, especially Freddy, against the Tigers.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 12:29 PM)
Post AS Break, I go:

1. Danks

2. Floyd

3. Buehrle

4. Garcia

5. Hudson

Don't skip anyone, and I use a spot starter on August 7th so nobody is on short rest.

That sets up the Minnesota series this way:

1-2-3-4

5-1-2

1-2-3

1-2-3

That's maximizing the lefties.

Detroit series:

3-4-5-1

3-4-5

4-5-1-2

4-5-1

That maximizes the righties, especially Freddy, against the Tigers.

This is a really great idea.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 12:16 PM)
The great thing about 4@Min coming out of the break is that we'll have the big four ready to go, in any order. We save Hudson for the anemic Seattle offense, with their bottom of the barrel park factor. His second start will also be @Oakland, a losing team, and another bottom park factor. His 3rd start would be home vs. that same Athletics team, who btw has just a .699 team OPS. You do have to run him out @Detroit for the four game series, even with the day off, because of the double-header makeup, but it's ANOTHER pitcher's park. After that, his next start would be @Baltimore, which is obviously a brutal team, and another sub .700 team OPS. If form holds, after that it would be vs. Det, vs. Bal, @ Cle...

All losing teams with the exception of the two detroit games...I know he may tank completely in the majors, but relatively speaking, you couldn't have asked for a better schedule alignment than this for a questionable fifth starter slot.

So by this logic I will be seeing Hudson pitch on Mullet night (July 30th vs A's)?? I like it. Pretty sure I've seen all the rest....except for Peavy :crying

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)
No need to totally baby the kid. He's got to face the big boys/teams soon enough.

You're probably the only one around that liked Jerry Manuel's decision to start Cotts in Yankee stadium when Buehrle was on his normal rest.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 03:38 PM)
But if you can line up your better pitchers against the better teams, then that's what you do.

For sure no doubt, but some people are acting like the kid needs to pitch against only teams like KC, Seattle, etc.. every night. Eventually he has to face the Bostons, NYY of the world. Luckally he already has that MLB experience from last year, and I'm one of Huddy's biggest fans so I know he can handle it.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)
For sure no doubt, but some people are acting like the kid needs to pitch against only teams like KC, Seattle, etc.. every night. Eventually he has to face the Bostons, NYY of the world. Luckally he already has that MLB experience from last year, and I'm one of Huddy's biggest fans so I know he can handle it.

I think he'll be fine, but seriously, keeping him away from Minnesota would be for the good of the team. It's very possible that Mauer/Morneau/Kubel/Thome/Hudson could rip him to shreds.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)

Of course you will need him to beat a NYY/BOS/TB type team long term. Considering how much people emphasize developing someone psychologically at the major league level, and considering that there's no way you'd use him in the postseason in 2010 (barring some unforeseen phenom-track development) - what's the harm in limiting his exposure this season to 2-3 "bigger" games, and 11-12 starts against more beatable opponents?

If you remember coming down the stretch in 2005, Brandon McCarthy was our second best pitcher. Remember his start against the Red Sox in Boston? I think he lost 2-1 or 1-0 to Johan Sanntana, something like that...as well.

He pitched very well against almost everyone. Not saying Hudson will replicate McCarthy's results, but it CAN work more to the pitcher's advantage the first time out against most of those teams.

Agreed that those match-ups with Detroit and Minnesota won't be very easy, but it's the major leagues...nothing's supposed to be easy.

Heck, if things were easy, we'd be 13-8 or better against CLE/KC and 18-20-22 games over .500 and way ahead of the field.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 04:57 PM)
I think he'll be fine, but seriously, keeping him away from Minnesota would be for the good of the team. It's very possible that Mauer/Morneau/Kubel/Thome/Hudson could rip him to shreds.

I wouldn't "worry" about that as much as I would want my best 3 pitchers facing the Twins and Tigers every time possible down the stretc.