Cliff Lee Traded to Rangers

hi8is

Larry Stone of the Seattle Times says the following...

I'm hearing rumblings that the White Sox are at least kicking tires -- which isn't surprising, considering their hot streak that has thrust them back into contention, and their GM, Ken Williams, who never shys away from blockbusters.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 05:09 PM)
Sometimes you have to overpay to keep players away from rivals.

And completely decimate your farm system to acquire a rental that I don't think greatly improves our chances at winning the division. And as Fathom said: it's all moot since I don't see how we could possibly beat the Twins offer.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 01:04 AM)
We don't need to make this move. Frankly, we really shouldn't. This hurts us long-term and is a bit of overkill in the short. Just get a lefty bat and a lefty arm for the pen.

Yep - I think we're good as long as we get a bat.

In the pitching department - if Mark, Danks, Floyd, and Garcia keep pitching like they have - looooook out!

Hudson should be an amazing #5!

By the way - the only way I see us signing Lee ( assuming we trade for him ) would be with a world series win.

That might make him wanna come back for a back to back effort =)

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 07:04 PM)
We don't need to make this move. Frankly, we really shouldn't. This hurts us long-term and is a bit of overkill in the short. Just get a lefty bat and a lefty arm for the pen.

Everyone keeps saying we need a lefty bat.

If I'm reading the stats right we have a 259BA and 738OPS against RH pitchers and a 227BA and 696 OPS against LH pitchers.

This would imply to me that we need help from RH hitters not LH hitters or at least players that can hit LH pitchers effectively.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 07:32 PM)
Everyone keeps saying we need a lefty bat.

If I'm reading the stats right we have a 259BA and 738OPS against RH pitchers and a 227BA and 696 OPS against LH pitchers.

This would imply to me that we need help from RH hitters not LH hitters or at least players that can hit LH pitchers effectively.

.259/.325/.412/.738 vs righties (that's before today, worse after getting shutdown by Santana)

.234/.319/.385/.704 vs Lefties

and then comes the rub . . .

2390 PA vs RHP and only 702 vs LHP.

77.2% of our total PA this season have come vs righties (higher after today). We go up against SIGNIFICANTLY more righties than lefties and our team line vs RHP is below league average which is .264/.333/.415/.747.

It would stand to reason that we could use a some help against the pitchers that we face more than 3/4 of the time when our team OPS is 9th in the AL against said pitchers.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 07:41 PM)
.259/.325/.412/.738 vs righties (that's before today, worse after getting shutdown by Santana)

.234/.319/.385/.704 vs Lefties

and then comes the rub . . .

2390 PA vs RHP and only 702 vs LHP.

77.2% of our total PA this season have come vs righties (higher after today). We go up against SIGNIFICANTLY more righties than lefties and our team line vs RHP is below league average which is .264/.333/.415/.747.

It would stand to reason that we could use a some help against the pitchers that we face more than 3/4 of the time when our team OPS is 9th in the AL against said pitchers.

I agree we could use some help. Our offense is below average all across the board except HRs. Even though we face more RHP (at least so far this year) we are worse off against LHP. I don't know if the trend of the drastic difference in LHP vs RHP will continue but as a team we are worse against the LHP and might be as much if not a higher priority. Our RHH don't seem to be getting the job done against the LHP. Of course maybe thats because they haven't seen many this year.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 07:49 PM)
I agree we could use some help. Our offense is below average all across the board except HRs. Even though we face more RHP (at least so far this year) we are worse off against LHP. I don't know if the trend of the drastic difference in LHP vs RHP will continue but as a team we are worse against the LHP and might be as much if not a higher priority. Our RHH don't seem to be getting the job done against the LHP. Of course maybe thats because they haven't seen many this year.

Our RHH are above average vs RHP, it's our LHH who are killing us vs RHP because they are not good hitters.

our RHH vs RHP: .259/.326/.443/.769

league average: .259/.318/.410/.728

our LHH vs RHP: .259/.324/.364/.688

league average: .263/.336/.407/.743

Just as we suspected during ST: we're getting no power from the left hand side. Personally, I don't really care what side of the plate our newly acquired hitter bats from just as long as he's a good hitter with above average power because that's what we're lacking: productive hitters with some pop. It just so happens that some of the more intriguing names out there are left handed hitters.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 07:59 PM)
Our RHH are above average vs RHP, it's our LHH who are killing us vs RHP because they are not good hitters.

our RHH vs RHP: .259/.326/.443/.769

league average: .259/.318/.410/.728

our LHH vs RHP: .259/.324/.364/.688

league average: .263/.336/.407/.743

Just as we suspected during ST: we're getting no power from the left hand side. Personally, I don't really care what side of the plate our newly acquired hitter bats from just as long as he's a good hitter with above average power because that's what we're lacking: productive hitters with some pop. It just so happens that some of the more intriguing names out there are left handed hitters.

Agreed. That's why I don't think the focus should be on a LHH only.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:34 PM)
I don't see us matching up with Seattle. Let's get a bat. Hudson will be fine.

exactly, they'll have enough teams in it to get a king's ransom for him and looks like they're going to wait a little so every 5 days his overall actual value drops slightly.

Wasn't Nix really really good last year against LHP but abysmal the rest of the time?

I wonder if you will start hearing JD's name pop up again...it would take him most of July to get ready, but you'd have a fresh body for the "dog days" of August and September, especially if he wasn't playing the field.

The problem is that you'd no longer have Andruw Jones' defense and occasional power. I think they're going to have to monitor Andruw the next month and decide if they're going to replace him or not.