Cliff Lee Traded to Rangers

hi8is

I think the issue in a trade for Lee is not whether other teams have more resources than the Sox, the issue is whether they are willing to trade those resources.

I would not put a Lee trade past Kenny Williams if he thinks that's the key to the WS this year. 3 lefty starters seems like a lot. But Lee is pretty dominant right now. You are looking at 15 starts if you get him right after the ASB, so more realistically around 12 starts if you get him in late July. How many games better would he be than Hudson? Can you project Lee at 9-3 and Hudson at 6-6? Will 3 games win the division? Because I think if you've got Cliff Lee in a rotation with Danks, Floyd, Buehrle, and Garcia, if they are on, the Sox could beat the Yanks or anyone else.

Not saying we'll get Lee. Or could afford him after this year if we got him. Just saying it's got to cross Kenny's mind long enough to do his own analysis and to find out what the real price might be.

My question on the Peavy loss is whether the Sox have insurance against this kind of injury. In other words, could the Sox get back enough of Peavy's salary to invest it in a replacement? Because, all things being equal, if the Sox could replace Peavy and his contract with Lee, they'd happily pay a bit more for Lee, wouldn't they? Wouldn't you? I think Peavy may never recover from this injury to be dominant again. Whereas Lee is a true Ace.

They did with David Wells in 2001, they got back something like $4.5 million or so, that was my understanding.

I don't know how many companies (like Lloyd's of London, etc.) would have been willing to do this for a pitcher with Jake Peavy's injury history...

We do know they owe him something like $37.5 million (including buyout for 2013) going forward.

This point was brought up earlier this week, Cowley didn't have the answer or wasn't given access to that "insider" information.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 09:00 PM)
My question on the Peavy loss is whether the Sox have insurance against this kind of injury. In other words, could the Sox get back enough of Peavy's salary to invest it in a replacement? Because, all things being equal, if the Sox could replace Peavy and his contract with Lee, they'd happily pay a bit more for Lee, wouldn't they? Wouldn't you? I think Peavy may never recover from this injury to be dominant again. Whereas Lee is a true Ace.

Teams usually get some form of insurance policy on most players. The insurance companies go over their medical records and the policy is decided on a player by player basis. Someone like Peavy probably didn't have much coverage, or he had very high insurance rates. Teams generally don't release those records though, as it reflects on the player's medical history, much of which is completely confidential.

• Thanks 1

Buster Olney's Twitter this morning:

NY Post reporting that the Yankees are on the verge of a deal for Cliff Lee.If it happens, presumably they will trade Javier Vazquez, and here are two possible matches -- the Phillies, who have been dangling Jayson Werth, and the Padres.

Update: No deal between the Mariners and Yankees is in place yet, and it may be that the news of the Lee talks could spur more talks with Twins, Rangers, Rays, Reds, etc. if one of those teams step up their offers.

It sounds like the talks are getting very serious, I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved by the start of the second half next Thursday. Lee actually pitches vs. the Yankees tonight.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 08:01 AM)
According to whoever the Score just quoted (Sherman I think), the deal with the Yankees is done but Lee won't pitch against the Mariners in order to avoid embarrassment.

Why would that be embarassing?

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 08:09 AM)
Why would that be embarassing?

Oh no!!! He is gonna shut down the Mariners powerful lineup, that hasn't happened at all this year!

LOL, if the lineup wasn't so damn embarassing then maybe they wouldnt have to trade Lee in the first place.

QUOTE (G&T @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 08:01 AM)
According to whoever the Score just quoted (Sherman I think), the deal with the Yankees is done but Lee won't pitch against the Mariners in order to avoid embarrassment.

Not done yet. BUt the price tag looks to be Jesus Montero.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 08:44 AM)
Not done yet. BUt the price tag looks to be Jesus Montero.

Wow I would have expected the price to be higher.

I have a friend who is a big yankee fan and he keeps telling me how hard it is to be a yankee fan because they have such high expectations. I always want to punch him.

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
Wow I would have expected the price to be higher.

I have a friend who is a big yankee fan and he keeps telling me how hard it is to be a yankee fan because they have such high expectations. I always want to punch him.

It's Montero and a few more players. Montero's struggled this year, but he's still a top-notch prospect. Mariners were desperate to acquire a young catcher...so that's why it's great the Yankees got involved cause Lee would have been going to Minnesota instead.

Montero was the #4 rated prospect in the off-season by BA IIRC.

They hoped Clement was going to be the guy for them at catcher for a while, but obviously that didn't work out as planned.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:01 AM)
Sabathia/Lee/Burnett/Pettite. Yeah, it's pretty much a wrap.

How could you leave off Javy??? ;)

On a more serious note, you can't worry about the Yankees until you have to cross that bridge. First goal needs to be making the postseason, and him not being on the Twins definitely improves our chances, IMO.

How can you leave off Hughes? He's been the best pitcher on that staff.

Burnett and Javy have been overpaid hot garbage this year. They're getting a combined $27 million more than Freddy Garcia and neither one is outproducing him.

Edited by chw42