7/8 Games

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)
Hell yeah! 3 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K. Not bad buddy.

If he continues to pitch well and the big team is in contention come August we can expect Sale to be in a Sox uniform coming out of the pen. This is unless Threets somehow figures out how to pitch between now and then.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 8, 2010 -> 11:49 PM)
Good, but I won't get excited about him until he is doing things like this in AA.

Well he is only I think 19 so thats actually good for the league he's in cause he's young for the league, but I of course doubt he's really 19.

Heres Great Falls boxscore since it wasn't posted..

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...grfrok_helrok_1

The guy I'm starting to like on GF is Randall Thorpe if he can start hitting for average. Great discipline for the kid in the league.

Edited by SoxAce

Let's put Silverio's performance in perspective with a comparison.

He's 19 this season, started in Low A where he was awful (.128/.169/.218/.387, 19 K vs 2 BB in 78 AB), then got sent to GF. Now he's raking at GF.

In 2007, we drafted a 20 year old shortstop named Sergio Miranda. Miranda was a year older (or maybe not older at all), and without the benefit of multiple years of professional development under his belt, ALSO raked at GF, then did well in Low A his first year. 2nd year, struggled at High A, went back down and raked at Low A, and then basically fell into minor league obscurity in the Brewers organization.

I guess I'm saying, since the guy is probably at LEAST 20, and has a couple years of minor league work under his belt, he really should be raking in Great Falls. And he apparently wasn't yet ready for A ball.

He's not among my Top 25 prospects in the organization right now.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 07:35 AM)
Let's put Silverio's performance in perspective with a comparison.

He's 19 this season, started in Low A where he was awful (.128/.169/.218/.387, 19 K vs 2 BB in 78 AB), then got sent to GF. Now he's raking at GF.

In 2007, we drafted a 20 year old shortstop named Sergio Miranda. Miranda was a year older (or maybe not older at all), and without the benefit of multiple years of professional development under his belt, ALSO raked at GF, then did well in Low A his first year. 2nd year, struggled at High A, went back down and raked at Low A, and then basically fell into minor league obscurity in the Brewers organization.

I guess I'm saying, since the guy is probably at LEAST 20, and has a couple years of minor league work under his belt, he really should be raking in Great Falls. And he apparently wasn't yet ready for A ball.

He's not among my Top 25 prospects in the organization right now.

I don't get the comparison to Sergio Miranda at all. Silverio was a Latin America signing with good offensive tools, while Miranda was a 13th round draft pick out of college with no power. Also, Miranda only had 28 at-bats at Great Falls in 2007, so comparing those numbers to Silverio's seems a bit unfair. Additionally, this notion of "professional development" under Silverio's belt makes no sense to me. He spent last season in the DSL and the year before as a 17 year old in Bristol. How does this give him a clear advantage in terms of development over Miranda who got to spend a couple years in college?

One more thing, where would you rate Silverio (rough range) in our system? I mean, it's not like we have a wealth of high-upside guys, so he's got to be close to top 25 IMO.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
I don't get the comparison to Sergio Miranda at all. Silverio was a Latin America signing with good offensive tools, while Miranda was a 13th round draft pick out of college with no power. Also, Miranda only had 28 at-bats at Great Falls in 2007, so comparing those numbers to Silverio's seems a bit unfair. Additionally, this notion of "professional development" under Silverio's belt makes no sense to me. He spent last season in the DSL and the year before as a 17 year old in Bristol. How does this give him a clear advantage in terms of development over Miranda who got to spend a couple years in college?

One more thing, where would you rate Silverio (rough range) in our system? I mean, it's not like we have a wealth of high-upside guys, so he's got to be close to top 25 IMO.

I think its a very good comparison, but apparently we disagree. And you'll note the real comparison was Miranda in A ball, vs Silverio in Rookie Ball.

I'd put him in the 30-40 range in the current system. And I am still highly skeptical of his age.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 11:03 AM)
I think its a very good comparison, but apparently we disagree. And you'll note the real comparison was Miranda in A ball, vs Silverio in Rookie Ball.

I'd put him in the 30-40 range in the current system. And I am still highly skeptical of his age.

Well if he is in fact older, then I agree with you on his ranking. I'm just not sure what to believe regarding his age.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 11:20 AM)
Well if he is in fact older, then I agree with you on his ranking. I'm just not sure what to believe regarding his age.

Yeah, to be clear, I am not saying I KNOW he's older. I'm saying, with what scant information I have seen, I'm 75% sure he's older than his stated age, by some unknown amount of years.

With Silverio I think you have to assume he's the age they say he is and if it ends up being wrong, just don't be surprised. MLB has put a ton of effort into getting this right because it potentially screws over multiple teams. Assuming he is 19, he's gotta be close to the top 25 or so. I'm honestly not sure what to think of him.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
With Silverio I think you have to assume he's the age they say he is and if it ends up being wrong, just don't be surprised. MLB has put a ton of effort into getting this right because it potentially screws over multiple teams. Assuming he is 19, he's gotta be close to the top 25 or so. I'm honestly not sure what to think of him.

Close, I can see. In, I can't.

i said the preseason that this guy is under the radar given if his age is legit, and he plays at a premium position with good tools. Glad to see him performing at GF.

But he moved he 3B now so his value took a little bit of a hit, if he can manage to stay at SS, he could easily be a top 20 given his age and our weak system.

on a side note Flower is really struggling 0 for 3 with 3 k's though he didn't pick up a SB, interesting..

He used to draw alot of walks and is a great OBP guy, now he is not making contacting, striking out 40% of the time, and is not drawing any walks, somethings need to be done about this guy.