Man defends property against 'illegal' thieves....

juddling

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)
How so? I'm genuinely curious.

Because I don't think anyone is subhuman or deserves death I am closed minded?

Not so much the deserving death but his point of if some is a career criminal with major felony charges against him Id like to think my word and my life would mean a little bit more than his. You kinda just completely shut that part out and came off imo as self righteous and whatnot.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 11:31 AM)
Not so much the deserving death but his point of if some is a career criminal with major felony charges against him Id like to think my word and my life would mean a little bit more than his. You kinda just completely shut that part out and came off imo as self righteous and whatnot.

Okay, I'm not sure I see your point. Frankly, I wasn't responding to the story at all. I was only responding to Y2HH's pronouncement that criminals needed to die and are worthless. The guy who was defending his property/whatever did what he thought was right and made his choice. Just like the thieves. My point is that both the guy that shot them and the thieves are more than that one night where all this went down. I can't really say either of them are horrible people. They both did something stupid and illegal. None of them should have their humanity revoked.

Won't be the first time I'm called self-righteous, won't be the last.

QUOTE (Soxy @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 12:01 PM)
Okay, I'm not sure I see your point. Frankly, I wasn't responding to the story at all. I was only responding to Y2HH's pronouncement that criminals needed to die and are worthless. The guy who was defending his property/whatever did what he thought was right and made his choice. Just like the thieves. My point is that both the guy that shot them and the thieves are more than that one night where all this went down. I can't really say either of them are horrible people. They both did something stupid and illegal. None of them should have their humanity revoked.

Won't be the first time I'm called self-righteous, won't be the last.

Its not a big deal, I wasnt really agreeing with Y2HH or you... kinda a middle ground inbetween. I think all life is valuable, but I guess the best way to explain it is if I had to choose between the old man or the thieves in this case and one had to die it wouldnt exactly be a tough choice? And that I can understand him shooting at them given the heat of the moment and the fact he thought they put his life at risk too, although I dont own any guns myself so wouldn't be an issue if it happened to me.

• 1 year later...

I know that this is an old thread, but I've got a question about the death thing.

I get that wishing death on people is against the rules. I've been warned on it twice (first for Noam Chomsky and then for the London rioters). Got it.

So, how about the death penalty? Is it taboo here to say that someone needs to be tried, convicted and executed? I supported the execution of Humberto Leal Garcia right to the end and I still do. Is that acceptable? What if I said those who convicted of violent sex crimes and crimes against children need to be hanged? Off limits?

And if ardent support for capital punishment is OK, what makes the difference? The fact that there was a supposedly fair trial?

Just curious...

Since there isn't a constitution or anything like that for this website, I don't feel bad in saying that the standard is "I know it when i'll see it."

What happened a few years ago was that we had a couple posters who decided it would be entertaining to start a new thread bragging and celebrating every time a criminal was executed. You might well feel that it's a good thing every time that happens, but after a while it becomes "I'm taunting liberals because killing people is good."

No one is going to begrudge your right to feel good when a criminal is killed if that is the kind of person you are. But we dont want it to wind up being that people are just being taunted.

So no, advocating execution of a rapist is not beyond the pale. That is a subject that can be legitimately debated. The death penalty itself and it's use is fair game. All I'd say is...it becomes a problem when it becomes a problem.

One more thing to add. I'm not out to get you. I hate suspending people back here since I'm a bloody liberal and half the people are annoyed at me anyway. If you're advocating a position, even passionately, go ahead, that's why we split this forum off. Just try to think about how it sounds sometimes. Saying that a person deserves to die because you don't like his politics will get my ire. Saying that a murderer deserved to die is a differed beast.

I hope that's a little clear.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2011 -> 06:47 PM)
One more thing to add. I'm not out to get you. I hate suspending people back here since I'm a bloody liberal and half the people are annoyed at me anyway. If you're advocating a position, even passionately, go ahead, that's why we split this forum off. Just try to think about how it sounds sometimes. Saying that a person deserves to die because you don't like his politics will get my ire. Saying that a murderer deserved to die is a differed beast.

I hope that's a little clear.

That makes sense. I was gonna say something else about the Noam Chomsky thing, but on second thought, nah. I'll just seal up my curiosity and carry on.

Also, I don't feel good when someone is executed. Giving Leal Garcia the needle didn't bring Adria Sauceda back from the dead. I believe his execution was the right thing to do, justice-wise, but it was simply the appropriate closing scene to a horrible tragedy. Nothing in this world can make that event a happy one. So the idea that people celebrate it seems silly to me.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
Being stupid, committing a non-lethal, non-violent crime (and being brown!) means you've given up your right to life, I guess.
I would have shot at them no matter what color they were. Now I know why I've avoided this part of the board for a long time. What a depressing thread.