Oswalt

BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
Didn’t Griffey turn us down the a year or two before he said yes?

it could have been 05, the infamous Hawk "Where would he play?" mantra, but again, it happens to a lot of teams, these guys put in NTCs for a reason and sacrifice things for them

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
So he wants individual wins, but he doesn't care if his team wins?

That is not, as you know, what I wrote.

This team probably won't make the playoffs. They were dog s*** for 2 months then got hot. The Tigers and Twins are both contentedly mediocre. Our offense is and will remain atrocious.

There are good things about the team, sure, but this is not a legitimate contender. And I think you and every other person who's going to be offended by my post in defense of Oswalt knows that.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)

This team probably won't make the playoffs. They were dog s*** for 2 months then got hot. The Tigers and Twins are both contentedly mediocre. Our offense is and will remain atrocious.

There are good things about the team, sure, but this is not a legitimate contender. And I think you and every other person who's going to be offended by my post in defense of Oswalt knows that.

I'm not offended by your post about Oswalt, as I said before, I really don't give a s*** because there was no chance that he was even going to be a target. I should've known that since Gavin is still in our rotation that we couldn't possibly be a contender.

LOL, half a game out in July and the Sox aren't legitimate contenders? So far, only you and Keith Law seem to be in that boat. Sox of course may not win the division, probably a 50% shot at best, but to say they aren't contenders is ridiculous on its face. No team that's in the standings where the Sox are at this point can be counted out as a legitimate contender.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
LOL, half a game out in July and the Sox aren't legitimate contenders? So far, only you and Keith Law seem to be in that boat. Sox of course may not win the division, probably a 50% shot at best, but to say they aren't contenders is ridiculous on its face. No team that's in the standings where the Sox are at this point can be counted out as a legitimate contender.

They're contenders for the division. They are nevertheless a bad team. They are not legitimate World Series contenders. And Oswalt is 100% right to not want to come here.

That's all I have to say about that.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 02:07 PM)
my feeling too, players give up money to get NTC often, so it's their choice, it happens to a lot of teams, his name is completely slipping my mind right now, but left handed bat who began with Cleveland and had a good career with San Diego and his brother played in the majors, he turned down a deal to the Red Sox a few years ago, I believe their 2nd title, it happens

Brian Giles?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 02:03 PM)
The thing is, he is best friends with Jake, or they are good friends anyways...and he still wouldn't consider it...must really not care for us.

did you just contradict yourself?

are they favorites if they make the playoffs? No, but if KW adds a slightly above average MLB bat and Gavin, Danks and MB with the pen are rolling in October they have a chance... does that make them "legitimate"? I don't know, but I would like to see them make the playoffs and see what happens. And I don't think I know what you are saying, I say make the playoffs and see what happens this year, they have a chance

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 01:18 PM)
Oswalt Would Not Accept Trade To White Sox, Tigers

via

MODS: Feel free to change the title. I was very annoyed when I found out.

I guess it is better than whoring yourself all over national TV to screw out your hometown

Honestly, I think we need to realize that these guys are human beings too..

Good post.

Fans, especially the internet fringe, never put themselves in the position of the player. Everybody thinks, "If I was a player, I'd want a trade to a contender." "If I was a player, I'd run out every dropped third strike like it was the 7th game of the world series."

Uh, you wouldn't. You are human. They are human.

That said ... so many pitchers are making way too much money. My god, the contracts.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 04:44 PM)
well realistically this really limits it to the NYY, I really can't see many teams willing to roll the dice on that.

What about the Twins if Houston pays for a part of that option?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 05:45 PM)

The Twins committed an AWFUL lot of their projected Revenue/salary growth in 1 deal last offseason. They still have a ridiculously rich owner though, but he's shown no signs of shooting past revenue with salaries.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 04:45 PM)

maybe, but I would imagine it would have to be a healthy part of the option so the Twins would have to trade a top tier prospect... I don't see Houston taking 1/2 unless it's a crazy good prospect, so just guessing, but I would imagine for a lot of teams to be interested they'd have to eat like 4-6m of it. He'll be 34 at the start of that 2012 year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 09:16 PM)
Why wouldn't he? I know I would.

Problem is: he's the one that requested the trade in the first place. Kinda silly to ask to be traded then hamstring the club by demanding that an extra year and $14M in guaranteed money be added to your contract AND it looks like he really only wants to play for the Cardinals as he's apparently not too keen on playing for the Phillies.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)
Problem is: he's the one that requested the trade in the first place. Kinda silly to ask to be traded then hamstring the club by demanding that an extra year and $14M in guaranteed money be added to your contract AND it looks like he really only wants to play for the Cardinals as he's apparently not too keen on playing for the Phillies.

That's why I hate all these athletes, if you don't want to be hamstrung by being stuck in a place for a long time, don't sign 5-plus-year deals. Then of course, they will b**** they won't get the money. Well, they can't have their cake and eat it too. STFU Oswalt.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=tsn-...closeto20100727

Oswalt insists being close to home won’t dictate trade decision

Astros right-hander Roy Oswalt(notes) said Monday that "location doesn’t matter" when it comes to a potential new home.

Oswalt repeated to MLB.com’s Brian McTaggart what he has been saying since requesting a trade: He just wants to pitch for a contender, wherever it plays. Houston is buried deep in the NL Central.

There has been speculation Oswalt would prefer to be dealt to a team that is close to his Mississippi home.

The Phillies and Cardinals are considered the top two contenders for Oswalt, and he is willing to waive his no-trade rights to go to either club. Oswalt also has indicated he’d forgo his $16 million option for 2012 in the right deal.

More from Sporting News: Haren likely not the last big-name player to change teams