Under The Radar Bats

Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)
I think Corey Patterson would be worth taking a flyer on. Left-handed hitter, solid defensive OF'er at all three positions, and a very good base runner. He should come relatively cheaply too.

You'll probably get flamed because of Corey's Cubs' connection, but that's not the worst idea I've ever heard...problem is that I don't think you want to trust him enough to give him regular at bats...and we don't really have any more roster spots to give to guys not getting regular at bats...

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 11:46 AM)
How about we trade Linebrink to the Phillies for Raul Ibanez + cash? The Phils are looking to unload him.

And then DFA Kotsay.

I know they are sending out flyers on Werth, I dont know if they would want to get rid of both

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)
I know they are sending out flyers on Werth, I dont know if they would want to get rid of both

Werth will bring them back a lot more...just depends how much they want to improve their pitching...

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)
No to Patterson. Semi-maybe to Ibanez.

This sort of response really pisses me off.

And I don't mean anything personal here, but I want to make an example of this early on before it catches on.

Don't flatter yourself enough to think we all care whether you personally sign off on such a move or not - none of us should flatter ourselves this much - if you're going to chime in on something like this, at least take the time to explain your reasoning.

Otherwise, we're just clammoring up threads with worthless posts.

Again, nothing personal CHW, just want to make a point of this and you were unfortunate enough to be the first one to do it...:)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 11:52 AM)

And I don't mean anything personal here, but I want to make an example of this early on before it catches on.

Don't flatter yourself enough to think we all care whether you personally sign off on such a move or not - none of us should flatter ourselves this much - if you're going to chime in on something like this, at least take the time to explain your reasoning.

Again, nothing personal CHW, just want to make a point of this and you were unfortunate enough to be the first one to do it...:)

Fair enough.

Patterson's never been able to get on base his entire career. He's hot right now, but that's not going to last (not only because of his high BABIP, but also because of his nearly unsustainable LD%), we've seen this kind of stuff from him before. He's still a decent fielder, but his baseball IQ is down there with Scott Podsednik's. We don't need another low OBP guy who can't think fast enough on the baseball field.

As for Ibanez, I said semi-maybe because he would fit well in this ball park. He's having a crappy year so far, but he's projected to hit with a .360 wOBA for the rest of the year, which is very useful to this team. Plus, if you get rid of Linebrink's contract for a useful player, that would definitely be something to look at. Ibanez can't field anymore either, so he's pretty much just a DH.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
Fair enough.

Patterson's never been able to get on base his entire career. He's hot right now, but that's not going to last (not only because of his high BABIP, but also because of his nearly unsustainable LD%), we've seen this kind of stuff from him before. He's still a decent fielder, but his baseball IQ is down there with Scott Podsednik's. We don't need another low OBP guy who can't think fast enough on the baseball field.

As for Ibanez, I said semi-maybe because he would fit well in this ball park. He's having a crappy year so far, but he's projected to hit with a .360 wOBA for the rest of the year, which is very useful to this team. Plus, if you get rid of Linebrink's contract for a useful player, that would definitely be something to look at. Ibanez can't field anymore either, so he's pretty much just a DH.

Thanks!

You're also one of the best at explaining your reasoning, so it's double appreciated.

Didn't Ibanez have a bad first few months last year too before bouncing back and having a huge second half?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)
Thanks!

You're also one of the best at explaining your reasoning, so it's double appreciated.

Didn't Ibanez have a bad first few months last year too before bouncing back and having a huge second half?

It was the other way around.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 12:17 PM)
Oh you're right...he started out huge in his first half season with them...so he's sucked for a while now....hmmm...

he is also 38 years old, so to expect him to bounce back to what he was isnt really realistic

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 11:46 AM)
How about we trade Linebrink to the Phillies for Raul Ibanez + cash? The Phils are looking to unload him.

And then DFA Kotsay.

You know a DFA of Kotsay has zero percent of happening. I still think he's a valuable bench player. He's still a .335 career hitter when he doesn't start.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 01:44 PM)
You know a DFA of Kotsay has zero percent of happening. I still think he's a valuable bench player. He's still a .335 career hitter when he doesn't start.

I agree with you, but as long as Kotsay is on this roster, we all know Ozzie will misuse him.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 12:15 PM)
What about Branyan? I would call him a last resort, but maybe the Mariners would move him now that they have Smoak.

fwiw, I've read on Tribe boards that Branyan was absolutely hated in the clubhouse.

No to Patterson. Semi-maybe to Ibanez.

It's funny because I've disagreed with hiim a lot, but I understood this post fine.

I thought it meant he was intrigued by the Ibanez move. I didn't think it was a bad response where he was giving his OK or not.

I just thought he was intrigued by the Ibanez deal.

I do think Linebrink is that bad, however, that nobody wants any part of him.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 02:21 PM)
It's funny because I've disagreed with hiim a lot, but I understood this post fine.

I thought it meant he was intrigued by the Ibanez move. I didn't think it was a bad response where he was giving his OK or not.

I just thought he was intrigued by the Ibanez deal.

I do think Linebrink is that bad, however, that nobody wants any part of him.

You should see the Phillies bullpen, they'd want anyone.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 05:52 PM)

Don't personally sign off on someone voicing their opinion about something Mr. Moderator God.

Nothing personal iamshack, but you come off as someone who enjoys being a moderator a LOT.

The poster was just saying his preference - his opinion.

Maybe you didn't like that he didn't explain his/her self - so what.

There is no rule to prohibits short posts.

Rant over =)

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 03:13 PM)
Don't personally sign off on someone voicing their opinion about something Mr. Moderator God.

Nothing personal iamshack, but you come off as someone who enjoys being a moderator a LOT.

The poster was just saying his preference - his opinion.

Maybe you didn't like that he didn't explain his/her self - so what.

There is no rule to prohibits short posts.

Rant over =)

Yeah, maybe sometimes I do.

And I know it has been irking some of you guys lately, and I apologize for that.

But I am the moderator, right? Part of what I'm trying to do is not only enforce the rules around here, but to get the most out of you guys so that this is not only the best White Sox forum on the internet, but one of the best baseball forums on the internet.

chw42 is an awesome poster, and if he is going to take the time to chime in, I'd like him to explain his opinions.

Additionally, I feel like if you're going to shoot down someone else's opinion or suggestion, you should at least take the time to explain your reasoning. Just my opinion.

Sorry if that came off a bit harshly.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 10, 2010 -> 09:18 PM)
Yeah, maybe sometimes I do.

And I know it has been irking some of you guys lately, and I apologize for that.

But I am the moderator, right? Part of what I'm trying to do is not only enforce the rules around here, but to get the most out of you guys so that this is not only the best White Sox forum on the internet, but one of the best baseball forums on the internet.

chw42 is an awesome poster, and if he is going to take the time to chime in, I'd like him to explain his opinions.

Additionally, I feel like if you're going to shoot down someone else's opinion or suggestion, you should at least take the time to explain your reasoning. Just my opinion.

Sorry if that came off a bit harshly.

To me it comes off like this.....

If I want to make a one word response - may it be - YES! or NO! - it is my right and restricting me from doing so ( or suggesting I do differently to make this a better baseball forum - is something i take as unnecessary restriction of my freedom buy a overzealous authority figure.

It's just the principle for me - that's all - and keep in mind - i have a huge thing about authority. =)

Cheers