Inception Discussion Thread

knightni

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inception was super cool, but didn't really do it for me. Of course I'll give it a second viewing as well at some point.

There was just a little bit much going on. If there are three stories going on (Saito, Fischer, and the romance), don't expect me to care too much about all of them. Plus, after Leo's character dicks around the rest of his team, it's difficult to care all that much whether he gets over his pain-in-the-ass representation of his wife.

Still that's a little harsh, it's still a special flick 8/10.

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 12:27 AM)
Inception was super cool, but didn't really do it for me. Of course I'll give it a second viewing as well at some point.

There was just a little bit much going on. If there are three stories going on (Saito, Fischer, and the romance), don't expect me to care too much about all of them. Plus, after Leo's character dicks around the rest of his team, it's difficult to care all that much whether he gets over his pain-in-the-ass representation of his wife.

Still that's a little harsh, it's still a special flick 8/10.

Funny you should say that. I thought, as detailed as it was, that it was pretty easy to follow along. The beauty of the movie was its complexity. The only time I ever got lost was as the van was about to hit the water for the 2nd kick. I was so wrapped up in the other levels that I couldn't think of the origination of what was going on and then it finally dawned on me that the airplane was reality. But at the same time, I was appalled. Because the entire movie, they're telling you that you never remember the beginning of the dream or how it forms. You only remember the climax. And I thought that was really cool. I thought the movie was absolutely brilliant.

Am I the only one that didn't think Inception's ending was anything special?

Yes, I get that the whole movie was "Inception" and he implanted the idea in our heads that what we were seeing might not have been real and left it up for the viewer decide but I don't see anything particularly creative or compelling about an ambiguous ending to a movie.

Aside from that I really enjoyed it.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 12:42 AM)

Funny you should say that. I thought, as detailed as it was, that it was pretty easy to follow along. The beauty of the movie was its complexity. The only time I ever got lost was as the van was about to hit the water for the 2nd kick. I was so wrapped up in the other levels that I couldn't think of the origination of what was going on and then it finally dawned on me that the airplane was reality. But at the same time, I was appalled. Because the entire movie, they're telling you that you never remember the beginning of the dream or how it forms. You only remember the climax. And I thought that was really cool. I thought the movie was absolutely brilliant.

What makes you think that the airplane scene was really reality? Seeing as how the totem at the end of the movie was still spinning, I'm not convinced we ever saw reality in the movie. I say this because remember when Dom was joking with Ariadne, he said "Why would you want to wake up?" Makes me conclude that the whole thing is a dream and Dom is trapped. Of course the top did fall down at the beginning of the movie. This also leads me to think that the totem either continued to spin or stopped solely based on the owner's perception of if they were in a dream or reality, afterall he walked away from it at the end as if he didn't care.

The movie had the perfect ending imo, one could conclude many things, it was a dream, it was reality, we never saw reality, his wife was right, Dom is trapped etc. The movie is called inception for a reason, it planted the idea that it was either limbo or reality at the end of the movie.

IMO it was all a dream but I could argue both sides.

Edited by ChWRoCk2

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 01:09 PM)

What makes you think that the airplane scene was really reality? Seeing as how the totem at the end of the movie was still spinning, I'm not convinced we ever saw reality in the movie. I say this because remember when Dom was joking with Ariadne, he said "Why would you want to wake up?" Makes me conclude that the whole thing is a dream and Dom is trapped. Of course the top did fall down at the beginning of the movie. This also leads me to think that the totem either continued to spin or stopped solely based on the owner's perception of if they were in a dream or reality, afterall he walked away from it at the end as if he didn't care.

The movie had the perfect ending imo, one could conclude many things, it was a dream, it was reality, we never saw reality, his wife was right, Dom is trapped etc. The movie is called inception for a reason, it planted the idea that it was either limbo or reality at the end of the movie.

IMO it was all a dream but I could argue both sides.

I think you're reaching for conclusions here. Maybe over-analyzing it a bit.

I just can't see how the whole thing being a dream makes sense, especially with the totem toppling over, the whole scene with Dom and his dad looking for a new architect, the train, the airplane, etc.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)

I just can't see how the whole thing being a dream makes sense, especially with the totem toppling over, the whole scene with Dom and his dad looking for a new architect, the train, the airplane, etc.

It may or may not be but I do believe the final scene was a dream.

You can interpret the movie a bunch of different ways.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)

If the whole thing was a dream then the movie was stupid despite being very entertaining. Which is why I agree with you that the ending was real and why I feel that the totem still spinning at the end was pretty lame.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)

If the whole thing was a dream then the movie was stupid despite being very entertaining. Which is why I agree with you that the ending was real and why I feel that the totem still spinning at the end was pretty lame.

I thought it was pretty obvious that the friggin' totem was slowing down before it went to black.

And I couldn't figure out why the kids were the exact same age as in Dom's memories. Seems like he had done a bunch of jobs since.

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)

A couple people i've talked to paid attention to

Doms wedding ring when they watched it a second viewing. They conlcuded that when he was dreaming, he would have the ring on, and when he was in reality it was off. It's hard to notice it for the split seconds in some scenes, but they saw that he wasn't wearing it in the ending. I myself watched the movie twice, but when it came time to notice the ring i never paid attention. I got caught up in the movie again.

I've visited a few sites and forums and some people have come out with the same conclusion.

Edited by onedude

QUOTE (onedude @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 03:34 PM)
A couple people i've talked to paid attention to

Doms wedding ring when they watched it a second viewing. They conlcuded that when he was dreaming, he would have the ring on, and when he was in reality it was off. It's hard to notice it for the split seconds in some scenes, but they saw that he wasn't wearing it in the ending. I myself watched the movie twice, but when it came time to notice the ring i never paid attention. I got caught up in the movie again.

I've visited a few sites and forums and some people have come out with the same conclusion.

Would have never noticed that in a second viewing.

With that said you could even say the wedding ring is a totem.

QUOTE (KipWellsFan @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)

I thought it was pretty obvious that the friggin' totem was slowing down before it went to black.

And I couldn't figure out why the kids were the exact same age as in Dom's memories. Seems like he had done a bunch of jobs since.

I think it has to do with him being stuck in Limbo so long. They were saying how time slows down so much the deeper you get into the levels. He was in limbo 50 years, that could be like a week in real time.

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)

I don't think it was, mainly because in every other dream throughout the movie, his totem never ever came close to wiggling like it did at the end of the movie. When he spun it in a dream, it was straight up and spinning without any wavering. At the end of the movie, it CLEARLY starts to wiggle before it goes to black. I think Nolan just put it there so everyone who sees it goes "oh!!!!!!!!!!" and nothing else. Otherwise, the airplane would have been a dream and he would have been dreaming about the entire Saito/Fischer inception thing and all the other levels and such. I just think that's way too damn complicated. And I agree with whoever said that if the whole movie was a dream, I'd be pretty upset.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 10:24 PM)

I think it has to do with him being stuck in Limbo so long. They were saying how time slows down so much the deeper you get into the levels. He was in limbo 50 years, that could be like a week in real time.

the chemist says that limbo could be infinite iirc. I was under the thought that Mal and Dom were asleep for mere minutes in reality....but felt like 50 or so years in limbo.

QUOTE (onedude @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 10:39 PM)

the chemist says that limbo could be infinite iirc. I was under the thought that Mal and Dom were asleep for mere minutes in reality....but felt like 50 or so years in limbo.

I just wanted to do this to look cool.... FACE!

Right well I think that the totem definitely would have toppled over, but I have a theory which is probably wrong, but if that's a dream state, there was a scene were Cobb and Mal were both very old when he was explaining the whole why he did it process, and maybe in real life he is that age and he's dreaming to be the age he was back when he was with Mal.

I loved Marion Cotillard's performance, that was the best femme fatale I've seen in a film for a long, long time, she stole the movie for mine.

And that van falling off the bridge, even in slow motion, was the slowest moving van I've seen of all time.

Overall, the film's got you asking lots of questions when you walk out of it, and I mean that in a good way. Now Nolan needs to recharge his batteries and focus on the 3rd Batman Movie from here on out.

Inception

It's obviously all a dream - all the clues are there, and if you're upset by that, then too bad. The top doesn't topple over. The kids don't age. We hear the girl's voice earlier in the movie and it's a grown up voice. The wife was right when she jumped of the building about it not being reality - that's the twist. Every level they were in was actually down one. Not rocket science.

The only thing I didn't like about the movie was how un-deamlike and fluid the dreams were. Very mechanical and ordered - not so dreamlike imo.

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)

Inception

It's obviously all a dream - all the clues are there, and if you're upset by that, then too bad. The top doesn't topple over. The kids don't age. We hear the girl's voice earlier in the movie and it's a grown up voice. The wife was right when she jumped of the building about it not being reality - that's the twist. Every level they were in was actually down one. Not rocket science.

The only thing I didn't like about the movie was how un-deamlike and fluid the dreams were. Very mechanical and ordered - not so dreamlike imo.

explain why they have 4 kids playing the two parts respectively for his children. Obviously it isn't a dream.....also look into when he is wearing his wedding ring.

philipa at 3 and 5 years old, james at 20 months and 3 years old

Edited by onedude

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 01:33 PM)

Inception

I don't think so.

saw inception last night.....thought it was a waste of time to be honest

when there are infinite possibilities of which way a movie can go, and new type of rules that can be made up during the entire story of the plot line, we aren't really ever surprised or impressed at which way it turns.....the abstraction itself it not enough to make to make the movie quality IMO. I just felt like the writers goal was, ok how can we make this more and more complex, and weirder and weirder. Also I thought the movie did a horrendously piss poor job at developing the other characters (the chemist, can't remember the guys name who disguises himself, fisher, etc)...also felt like the last hour of the movie could have taken a half hour only