White Sox Trade Catch-All

hi8is

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 04:23 PM)
Would you guys do this trade (and do you think the DBacks would bite?)

Gordon Beckham + Daniel Hudson

for

Edwin Jackson + Kelly Johnson?

You keep your Vizquel/Viciedo/Teahen TriPlatoon at 3B for the rest of the year, or until the playoffs, you get a left-handed hitter with a decent OBP & Pop playing where Beckham was, and you have a rotation going into the playoffs that's pretty solid, and your 2011 rotation would be pretty ridiculous, and you have Johnson locked up for 2011 as well

Edit: This also allows you to keep the DH spot a swinging door between Quentin/Konerko/Viciedo or whatever versatility Ozzie wants

Ew, no.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)
If the DBacks throw in Adam LaRoche, do you bite if you're the Sox?

Also, give reasons please

Not a fan of Edwin Jackson, I'm not paying $8.35M and Daniel Hudson for a starter with an xFIP consistently in the mid 4's, that's a mid to back of the rotation starter. Personally, I haven't lost faith in Gordon, I see him as a future franchise player and he's under team control for another 5 years, Kelly Johnson on the other hand is a typically good offensive player (~.345 wOBA) and a mediocre defensive 2B under team control for 1 more year (at around $5M-$6M, maybe more), personally I see Beckham outperforming him next year (all around) and possibly even this season the rest of the way. I like Johnson but I'm not giving up incredibly valuable assets to acquire him. Throwing in an Adam LaRoche rental changes very little.

You really have to look at the future value of your young players: Beckham 5 more seasons (3 very cheap) and Hudson 6 (4 very cheap) more seasons. Compare that to 1 more expensive season from both Jackson and Johnson.

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 04:29 PM)
Because many years of cheap production from Gordo and Huddy is worth substantially more than expensive Jackson, half a year of LaRoche and soon-to-be expensive Johnson.

If you have to trade Gordon Beckham, you had better be getting Prince Fielder.

Prince Fielder is one player, and you'd be giving up at least Beckham and Hudson, which means you're putting someone at 2B OR 3B that prior to that trade wasn't good enough to play everyday for your team, so you're doing addition by subtraction to a point. Also, let's say you get to the world series (a score listener made a good point): Either Fielder or Kong won't be playing 4 of those 7 games. My proposed deal (let's add in LaRoche as well, for arguements sake), makes you more versatile all the way around the infield and deep into the playoffs, world series, and 2011 (Johnson, and Jackson's contracts lasts through 2011 and become FA/ARB in 2012, LaRoche has a 2011 mutual option)

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)
If the DBacks throw in Adam LaRoche, do you bite if you're the Sox?

Also, give reasons please

There really shouldn't be reasons given for a trade proposal like that. Gordon Beckham is worth more than two of those guys combined.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 05:44 PM)
I wonder what the asking price if for Berkman right now. I still think a change of scenery would give him a boost.

I think the Sox would have probably already traded for him if they thought he was healthy.

Haren cost Joe Saunders and 3 junk pitchers not even in their top 10 prospects.

Cliff Lee (and injured reliever Lowe) cost Smoak (and his whopping .210 BA) and 3 minor leaguers that nobody ever heard of.

WHY is it that people here seem to think it is going to cost us half our damn team just to get one f-ing rental? Adam Dunn is a FA at the end of the year. He is worth a little more than what the Nats would get if he walks, which is what, 2 draft picks? Trading a MLB starter in Hudson AND Beckham, for a RENTAL, is just f-ing crazy. Dunn should cost us maybe Santos and 2 or 3 other minor leaguers, probably both pitchers. Fielder being locked up for another year i can see costing a bit more.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
Would you guys do this trade (and do you think the DBacks would bite?)

Gordon Beckham + Daniel Hudson

for

Edwin Jackson + Kelly Johnson?

You keep your Vizquel/Viciedo/Teahen TriPlatoon at 3B for the rest of the year, or until the playoffs, you get a left-handed hitter with a decent OBP & Pop playing where Beckham was, and you have a rotation going into the playoffs that's pretty solid, and your 2011 rotation would be pretty ridiculous, and you have Johnson locked up for 2011 as well

Edit: This also allows you to keep the DH spot a swinging door between Quentin/Konerko/Viciedo or whatever versatility Ozzie wants

Are you insane? That package would be twice as good as what the Dbacks got for Dan Haren.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 04:49 PM)
Haren cost Joe Saunders and 3 junk pitchers not even in their top 10 prospects.

Cliff Lee (and injured reliever Lowe) cost Smoak (and his whopping .210 BA) and 3 minor leaguers that nobody ever heard of.

WHY is it that people here seem to think it is going to cost us half our damn team just to get one f-ing rental? Adam Dunn is a FA at the end of the year. He is worth a little more than what the Nats would get if he walks, which is what, 2 draft picks? Trading a MLB starter in Hudson AND Beckham, for a RENTAL, is just f-ing crazy. Dunn should cost us maybe Santos and 2 or 3 other minor leaguers, probably both pitchers. Fielder being locked up for another year i can see costing a bit more.

Smoak is 23 years old, was the 11th overall pick in the 2008 draft, the #13 overall prospect in baseball (Beckham was #20 last year) and hit .293/.411/.461/.872 in 599 PA in the minors between 4 levels over the last 1.5 years. The fact that he struggled in his first 275 major league PA at age 23 didn't change his status as an incredibly valuable young player with huge upside. Smoak is basically = Beckham.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)
Smoak is 23 years old, was the 11th overall pick in the 2008 draft, the #13 overall prospect in baseball (Beckham was #20 last year) and hit .293/.411/.461/.872 in 599 PA in the minors between 4 levels over the last 1.5 years. The fact that he struggled in his first 275 major league PA at age 23 didn't change his status as an incredibly valuable young player with huge upside. Smoak is basically = Beckham.

This. Also wanted to say that just because the Diamondbacks front office set their franchise back with an awful trade doesn't mean every team has to.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)

Smoak's actually been really, really unlucky this year.

If we end up moving Hudson to get a bat (I'm not suggesting we do, just saying what-if we did)...

What veteran pitcher might we be able to pick up to fill the back of the rotation for the remainder of this year?

(Ignore the 2011 implications for a minute. I'm just trying to figure out if there might be an arm out there we haven't considered that could help us in a pennant push.)

For example... Jake Westbrook could probably be had for a song. Not a huge fan. But he could be an asset at the back of a rotation.

Others?

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)
If we end up moving Hudson to get a bat (I'm not suggesting we do, just saying what-if we did)...

What veteran pitcher might we be able to pick up to fill the back of the rotation for the remainder of this year?

(Ignore the 2011 implications for a minute. I'm just trying to figure out if there might be an arm out there we haven't considered that could help us in a pennant push.)

For example... Jake Westbrook could probably be had for a song. Not a huge fan. But he could be an asset at the back of a rotation.

Others?

The pitching market really blows this year. You basically had the big three of Lee, Haren (I still can't believe it), and Oswalt. After that a whole lotta bad.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)

Others?

Say that proposed 3 team deal goes down where Washington gets Jackson, we get Dunn and AZ gets a lot of prospects, I can see KW trading Hudson as a center package piece for Grienke.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
Say that proposed 3 team deal goes down where Washington gets Jackson, we get Dunn and AZ gets a lot of prospects, I can see KW trading Hudson as a center package piece for Grienke.

If KW could get Dunn and Grienke.. man that would be orgasmic..

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 06:41 PM)
If he could do that, it would mean he has successfully hidden 3 or 4 top prospects for the last couple of years.

Or that the Royals and a lot of other teams think something is seriously wrong with Greinke and they want out of that right now.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
I used to be a big Smoak fan, but I've soured on him quite a bit. The guy has absolutely no chance vs. any breaking ball right now.

Haha. Ya I remember you were his biggest fan in that 08 draft and lobbied for him. (though there were a couple other posters too) I didn't blame you then or not though.. I still like that kid's upside. Shame hitting at Safeco might kill his power output though, unless he gets a bit stronger. Great plate discipline though.. probably will have around the same BB:SO ratio.. probably more BBs if/when he gets more dangerous at the plate.