White Sox Trade Catch-All

hi8is

MLB network trade deadline special just reported Oswalt a done deal. I find it interesting outside of Happ the other two prospects were AA (valarie?) and low A (Gost) players, and HOU ate salary. He was by far the best picther available and that isn't a great return. Maybe we'll be suprised by who we get and what it takes to get them. The Haren and now Oswalt deals included a lot of high ceiling prospects (low A guys).

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
MLB network trade deadline special just reported Oswalt a done deal. I find it interesting outside of Happ the other two prospects were AA (valarie?) and low A (Gost) players, and HOU ate salary. He was by far the best picther available and that isn't a great return. Maybe we'll be suprised by who we get and what it takes to get them. The Haren and now Oswalt deals included a lot of high ceiling prospects (low A guys).

Our biggest problem with wanting to do deals with high ceiling, low-A ball guys is; our top 3 names from our 2009 draft, who would be hanging out in those levels this year, are all hurt.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 02:03 PM)

Oswalt was also not just going to go to the team offering the best deal. He was willing to envoke his no-trade clause, so he didn't exactly make it easy for Houston.

With buster reporting We lost interest in Dunn (as I literally watched him hit his 24th HR on MLB network), the more it looks like we may have to settle on a lesser bat like the before mentioned Branyan. By the way his line you asked for:

G AB R H 2B 3B

52 171 24 45 9 0

HR RBI TB OBP SLG AVG

10 24 84 .328 .491 .263

BB SO SB CS

16 49 0 0

eww. Get your Dunn KW

QUOTE (bulokis @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 01:38 PM)
Dan Bernstein said from his source, the Sox have a lot of scenarios and Adam Dunn is not the only big name linked with the White Sox.

Mr Bernstein is really going out on a limb with breaking news there!

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
With buster reporting We lost interest in Dunn (as I literally watched him hit his 24th HR on MLB network), the more it looks like we may have to settle on a lesser bat like the before mentioned Branyan. By the way his line you asked for:

G AB R H 2B 3B

52 171 24 45 9 0

HR RBI TB OBP SLG AVG

10 24 84 .328 .491 .263

BB SO SB CS

16 49 0 0

eww. Get your Dunn KW

You do realize that our full-time DH, Mark Kotsay, has a .305 OBP and a .350 slugging percentage right? I'll take Branyan's .820 OPS in heartbeat if we can't get anything better.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
Same way that a guy like Gio does. He's a valuable commodity.

How the hell is he not starting in the majors yet? Why would the Blue Jays or the A's trade him? I just don't get it. Seems like the White Sox could have acquired him for next to nothing.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
How the hell is he not starting in the majors yet? Why would the Blue Jays or the A's trade him? I just don't get it. Seems like the White Sox could have acquired him for next to nothing.

The A's traded him because they got an arguably more talented prospect in Michael Taylor. The Blue Jays wanted him because they've coveted him for a while. They realize that they have a logjam at 1B, and that they can get a very talented outfielder in Gose (who, it is entirely possible, they've coveted for quite some time too, though why they didn't just get him in the Halladay trade I don't know). The Astros realize that, if and when they are able to move Berkman, they have a spot for Wallace on the MLB roster. It does make some sense.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
The A's traded him because they got an arguably more talented prospect in Michael Taylor. The Blue Jays wanted him because they've coveted him for a while. They realize that they have a logjam at 1B, and that they can get a very talented outfielder in Gose (who, it is entirely possible, they've coveted for quite some time too, though why they didn't just get him in the Halladay trade I don't know). The Astros realize that, if and when they are able to move Berkman, they have a spot for Wallace on the MLB roster. It does make some sense.

Cards got Holliday. I thought the Blue Jays were going to hand him the first base job once Overbey was gone?

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 29, 2010 -> 03:32 PM)
Mr Bernstein is really going out on a limb with breaking news there!

Between Bernstein's report, Terry's "guy" who breaks stories after they happen, and Jason Goff's "immenent" report (referring to his report that Wade/Bosh were going to sign with the Bulls, but, of course, things changed), that show is dripping with breaking information just waiting to burst.

With 2 hours left before the deadline, the Chicago white sox aquired Luke Scott.

With 28 minutes left before the deadline the Chicago white sox aquired Zack Greenke

---

that's what I'm hoping for in the next 48 hours :)

If the Sox only acquire a pitcher (and from the sounds of things it'll be Jackson), I won't be very excited. Regardless of the fact that the Sox have been hitting well lately, they still need another bat. Luke Scott, Branyan, LaRoche, Garrett Jones...I'd take any of them.

Last year the trade deadline was on Friday. I had a meeting at 11:00 and came back to see the acquisition of Peavy. I got absolutely nothing done the rest of the day. I hope a move happens today because I won't have access to a computer tomorrow.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 06:39 AM)
Last year the trade deadline was on Friday. I had a meeting at 11:00 and came back to see the acquisition of Peavy. I got absolutely nothing done the rest of the day. I hope a move happens today because I won't have access to a computer tomorrow.

From what I have seen/heard the EJax trade is basically "done" so you may not have to wait long. Also Cowley offers a solution for our need for a bat. Although I don't think it is a valid one.

cst_sox Meanwhile, if the Sox want a power bat without making a trade, talked to J. Dye and he said he's ready - "my swing is like riding a bike."

about 1 hour ago

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 30, 2010 -> 05:01 AM)
With 2 hours left before the deadline, the Chicago white sox aquired Luke Scott.

With 28 minutes left before the deadline the Chicago white sox aquired Zack Greenke

---

that's what I'm hoping for in the next 48 hours :)

With the Edwin Jackson talk [hype to get other GM's to come to Kenny], I think the sox will trade for a youngish SP who has upside. Maybe not Grienke upside. But maybe a Toronto arm, Fausto Carmona.

An agreement to acquire Roy Oswalt notwithstanding, Philadelphia is among the clubs scouting Jose Bautista, and Toronto has been scouting Philly closely, too. Phillies superscout Dave Hollins was at the Rogers Centre on Wednesday night, the sixth consecutive game he has seen the Jays play. He was also in Detroit for the weekend series. ... Jim Beattie, now one of the Jays' top pro scouts, was with the Phillies in St. Louis last week and followed them home to watch them play the Colorado Rockies on the weekend. Beattie left and former Chicago Cubs GM Ed Lynch, another Jays scout, took his seat to watch the Phillies-Rockies matchup Monday.

On SI.com truth or rumors page. I could see the sox turning around after EJax and acquiring either Werth (hopefuly) or Ibanez (hope not). This would also coincide with Mark Gonzalez reporting the phills had scouts at the last few games. I'd love me some werth.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35