White Sox Trade Catch-All

hi8is

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 05:58 PM)
Because all you really want him for is 2-2.5 months.

Their asking price will be based on the fact that he's still arbitration eligible next season ($5M-$6M price tag). He'd cost a fortune. He's also not likely to come close to matching his first half production, so that's doubly bad. I imagine it was a very simple inquiry from Williams, just testing the waters a bit. I'd be mighty pissed if we traded for him.

Jose Bautista over his past 502 plate appearances - .249/.355/.570/.925, 36 HR, 62 XBH, 64 BB, 98 K

Not that I'm advocating acquiring him, but there are worse options out there. People are advocating acquiring Luke Scott (myself included), but he didn't reach the majors until he was 27, and didn't have a good, full season until he was 29, and is having the best year of his career at 32. Bautista doesn't turn 30 until October.

I obviously haven't done enough research on Bautista to see if this is all a fluke or if he's figured it out or semi-figured it out, but I don't completely dismiss him just because he's having the best year of his career.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 09:10 PM)
Jose Bautista over his past 502 plate appearances - .249/.355/.570/.925, 36 HR, 62 XBH, 64 BB, 98 K

Not that I'm advocating acquiring him, but there are worse options out there. People are advocating acquiring Luke Scott (myself included), but he didn't reach the majors until he was 27, and didn't have a good, full season until he was 29, and is having the best year of his career at 32. Bautista doesn't turn 30 until October.

I obviously haven't done enough research on Bautista to see if this is all a fluke or if he's figured it out or semi-figured it out, but I don't completely dismiss him just because he's having the best year of his career.

He's going to cost too much.

I looked at Bautista's hit and pitch f/x charts. 22 of his 26 home runs have come on fastball type pitches (four-seam, two-seam. cutter, sinker). 3 came off a slider, 1 came off a curve. It's obvious that if you throw him off-speed stuff, he's not going to hit you.

According to the pitch values, he can't hit change-ups. But he's absolutely raking against fastballs and sliders (a combined +22 runs off those).

Edited by chw42

Never thought I'd say this...

But with the cost of options available out there...

Jack Cust is looking pretty good. Having a nice year. Left-handed power. Good OBP. Dirt cheap. Short contract.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 11:04 PM)
I'm a little surprised we didn't sign Cust after spring training and put him in AAA.

That was a no risk deal. Maybe he's no better than Kotsay, but at the time I thought he was worth a shot.

It was either Thome or Kotsay. Once they decided not to sign Thome...they were going full speed ahead to wreck this DH train.

BP: Five trades that need to happen

4. The Chicago White Sox acquire DH Luke Scott and 3B Miguel Tejada from the Baltimore Orioles for SS Eduardo Escobar and RHPs Lucas Harrell and Jhonny NunezTied with Oakland for ninth place in the AL in team TAv, the Sox need to punch up their offense. Obvious spots that need help are third base and DH, with Mark Teahen shelved and healing slowly, and the platoon of Andruw Jones and Mark Kotsay struggling to produce. Always open to a trade, Kenny Williams likes adding the occasional ex-famous person to the mix for his stretch runs -- Roberto Alomar, Carl Everett, Ken Griffey Jr. -- and Tejada would fit neatly within that pattern, providing the White Sox with a former MVP who might get a last lease on life at the plate while manning third base. Scott would be the more subtle addition, but his .304 TAv would provide a big dose of sock and balance. To swing the deal, Chicago would have to give the Orioles the shortstop prospect they need, and sure-handed Escobar has elicited comparisons to Omar Vizquel for his fielding. Harrell and Nunez are both live arms who could help in a big league bullpen, so this might seem like a lot, but Scott is under club control through 2012, providing the Sox with a lasting answer to their need for a lefty power bat.