Ricky Nolasco

chw42

Word is that he's on the block. He's making $3.8 million this year and up for arbitration next year before he hits free agency in 2012.

Amongst stats people, Nolasco is the perfect example of why ERA is evil, because the guy had nothing but bad luck last year, came up with a 5 ERA, but had a 3.35 FIP.

He really sucked early on in the year, but he's started to pitch very well lately. His K rate has been climbing back to respectable rates and he rarely walks anyone. He does give up a lot of home runs, but is a fairly neutral pitcher.

I don't know what the Marlins could command, but he's not going to get any cheaper and we all know how the Marlins roll when it comes to salary.

ZiPS projects a 3.74 FIP and a 4.31 ERA the rest of the way. With his high ERA, I don't expect him to come at an extremely expensive price.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 01:35 AM)
Word is that he's on the block. He's making $3.8 million this year and up for arbitration next year before he hits free agency in 2012.

Amongst stats people, Nolasco is the perfect example of why ERA is evil, because the guy had nothing but bad luck last year, came up with a 5 ERA, but had a 3.35 FIP.

He really sucked early on in the year, but he's started to pitch very well lately. His K rate has been climbing back to respectable rates and he rarely walks anyone. He does give up a lot of home runs, but is a fairly neutral pitcher.

I don't know what the Marlins could command, but he's not going to get any cheaper and we all know how the Marlins roll when it comes to salary.

ZiPS projects a 3.74 FIP and a 4.31 ERA the rest of the way. With his high ERA, I don't expect him to come at an extremely expensive price.

A Miami Herold reporter Chat Spencer said:

Spencer says that he feels some players will be moved prior to the deadline. He speculates that Dan Uggla and Jorge Cantu are candidates, but that Ricky Nolasco is unlikely to be dealt. Teams looking for infield additions such as Cantu and Uggla could be the Rockies, Twins, Red Sox, and Padres, to name a few.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 08:35 PM)
PS if we're going way under the radar on young guys I want to know what Toronto would ask for Lind. That dude can be scary even though he's not doing too great now.

Yeah, now would be pretty much the time to trade for him and hope he rebounds, if nothing else he at least more intimidating in the lineup than Kotsay

PS if we're going way under the radar on young guys I want to know what Toronto would ask for Lind. That dude can be scary even though he's not doing too great now.

No way Toronto trades him. They got him under contract for cheap for the next 4 years I think. The Jays are rebuilding, but Lind is a huge part of their plan.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 08:34 PM)
All this talk about luck and FIP makes me want to sabre with you.

For all I know, Nolasco might be Javier Vazquez when it comes to FIP and ERA. Because Javy is one of those cases where FIP fails to describe his abilities. But Nolasco did have that one really good year two years back...

I'm just trying to see if we can get a guy for the cheap who could be money later on.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 09:09 PM)
No way Toronto trades him. They got him under contract for cheap for the next 4 years I think. The Jays are rebuilding, but Lind is a huge part of their plan.

Agree. I'm just saying that in the event we put together this package for AllStar Rental X we should call up the Jays before we sign off on the deal and offer that package to them first. But yeah, Lind is a stud. I guess I'm just ready to see Kenny seriously rip off Toronto for the third time.

As far as Nolasco though, I'd definitely be up for it but it would be costly (Hudson+) and I'm not so sure the years at the price in dollars is worth what we'd have to give up. The Marlins certainly wouldn't dump him because he's got a nice arm.

Edit: I'd definitely trade Flowers and all kinds of other stuff for him, but Viciedo would be off limits for me and Hudson might too, even though Nolasco has the higher ceiling, because Huddy might be a bit better bet in our park, and if the two end up even close in terms of ability to get MLB hitters out, I'd rather have 6 years of Hudson of which 3 are at the minimum.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 09:46 PM)
Agree. I'm just saying that in the event we put together this package for AllStar Rental X we should call up the Jays before we sign off on the deal and offer that package to them first. But yeah, Lind is a stud. I guess I'm just ready to see Kenny seriously rip off Toronto for the third time.

As far as Nolasco though, I'd definitely be up for it but it would be costly (Hudson+) and I'm not so sure the years at the price in dollars is worth what we'd have to give up. The Marlins certainly wouldn't dump him because he's got a nice arm.

Edit: I'd definitely trade Flowers and all kinds of other stuff for him, but Viciedo would be off limits for me and Hudson might too, even though Nolasco has the higher ceiling, because Huddy might be a bit better bet in our park, and if the two end up even close in terms of ability to get MLB hitters out, I'd rather have 6 years of Hudson of which 3 are at the minimum.

Nolasco won't cost a Hudson, at least I don't think so.

With Lind's cheap contract, I'm sure Toronto will ask for at at least one of CQ, Beckham, or Danks, if not more