Heyman: Sox may consider Oswalt

macsandz

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/18319303627

White Sox Might Consider Oswalt

By Zach Links [July 11, 2010 at 8:50pm CST]

The White Sox might consider dealing for Roy Oswalt, tweets Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated. At the same time, GM Kenny Williams & Co. are leery of a switch from the National League to the American League.

Williams may have some convincing to do as Oswalt reportedly does not want to play for the White Sox. One has to think that the ace could be swayed, however, as the ChiSox present Oswalt with a chance to win and the opportunity to team up with friend Jake Peavy. Back in 2008, Peavy was open to joining the Astros in order to play with the three-time All-Star.

It appeared that the White Sox would be sellers just one month ago. However, the club may look to buy after rallying in recent weeks and climbing their way to the top of the AL Central.

--

It's well known that Oswalt has claimed he'd block a trade to the White Sox. We all know he's best bumpkin buds with Peavy who could likely change his mind. If Oswalt doesn't want to jump into

a pennant race with the hottest team in baseball after watching the Sox dismantle his only other shot 5 years ago, leave him down in lonely Texas.

If Kenny can swing a deal for Berkman, that's the way to go. IMO.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 12:23 AM)
I could have swore I read somewhere the other day that Oswalt would deny trades to the White Sox or Tigers.

Yeah, it says they would try to convince him..

Pretty sure Peavy didnt wanna come here at first either but that happened as well.. if we trade with Houston I want Berkman and Oswalt.. but I dont think Oswalt would change his stance on playing here..

QUOTE (T R U @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 06:53 AM)
Yeah, it says they would try to convince him..

Pretty sure Peavy didnt wanna come here at first either but that happened as well.. if we trade with Houston I want Berkman and Oswalt.. but I dont think Oswalt would change his stance on playing here..

Do you know what his objection to playing here is?

I'm a fan of Oswalt, but his contract makes this a bad idea. With him, Mark, & JFP, that would be nearly $45 million locked up in 3 starters next season. If the Astros were to offer up some $$$, it could work, but then they would want much better prospects too.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 07:23 PM)
http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman/status/18319303627

White Sox Might Consider Oswalt

By Zach Links [July 11, 2010 at 8:50pm CST]

The White Sox might consider dealing for Roy Oswalt, tweets Jon Heyman of Sports Illustrated. At the same time, GM Kenny Williams & Co. are leery of a switch from the National League to the American League.

Williams may have some convincing to do as Oswalt reportedly does not want to play for the White Sox. One has to think that the ace could be swayed, however, as the ChiSox present Oswalt with a chance to win and the opportunity to team up with friend Jake Peavy. Back in 2008, Peavy was open to joining the Astros in order to play with the three-time All-Star.

It appeared that the White Sox would be sellers just one month ago. However, the club may look to buy after rallying in recent weeks and climbing their way to the top of the AL Central.

--

It's well known that Oswalt has claimed he'd block a trade to the White Sox. We all know he's best bumpkin buds with Peavy who could likely change his mind. If Oswalt doesn't want to jump into

a pennant race with the hottest team in baseball after watching the Sox dismantle his only other shot 5 years ago, leave him down in lonely Texas.

If Kenny can swing a deal for Berkman, that's the way to go. IMO.

Aren't Peavy & Oswalt best friends or very good friends?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 09:59 AM)

I thought I read that somewhere. But won't it be hard for Jake to convince him to come here if Jake most likely won't even be around much as he'll be rehabbing?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 08:01 AM)
I thought I read that somewhere. But won't it be hard for Jake to convince him to come here if Jake most likely won't even be around much as he'll be rehabbing?

Jake has said that he will be at every home game in his uniform cheering the guys on and I believe he said he wants to travel with the guys too.

Saw him interviewed a few days ago and that was what he was saying.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 10:04 AM)
Jake has said that he will be at every home game in his uniform cheering the guys on and I believe he said he wants to travel with the guys too.

Saw him interviewed a few days ago and that was what he was saying.

Well if that's the case start the wooing!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 09:59 AM)

I remember a few years ago, Peavy, Oswalt, & Brad Penny were all at Kam's together in Champaign. I guess they were on a hunting trip somewhere in the area.

Oswalt could refuse to come to the Sox, but why exactly would he? Here's an Olney article from early this year. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5210872 Seems like it crosses off a lot of teams.

The Sox, it would seem, could afford Oswalt for the rest of this season. Since we are presumably cashing an insurance policy on Jake Peavy, we could just take the Peavy money and apply it to Oswalt. That leaves his big contract in 2011. Somehow I think KW will figure it out if it can get us another World Series.

Would Oswalt get us to the postseason? He would certainly give us another dominant pitcher and a basically airtight rotation. That strikes me as the key to more winning streaks in the second half. Minnesota could not keep up with that staff. And with the Tigers' tougher record, I can't see how they could either. It could be 1983 again with the Sox staying hot and pulling away. (We won't win by 20 games again, but we could make it so it doesn't come down to the wire.)

Oswalt also would give us some mojo for the postseason because the Sox would have the best staff going in, and if you want to win it all, you need to be best at something. You can't be lucky if you want to win the WS. Sox pitching would be dominant. Line em up however you want. Based on whomever is hottest. And the great bullpen would protect a guy like Oswalt, who is basically a 7 inning pitcher. Oswalt has been touched up for 4, 6, and 7 earned runs in 3 of 18 starts. Every other game has been 3 runs or less. Even if you add an AL adjustment, the guy's a solid power pitcher.

Oswalt also protects against late-season slippage by any of our other starters. We know Floyd didn't have much left in the 2008 postseason. And he stunk earlier this year. So, as great as he's been, we can't project that performance into October. Buehrle has had second-half slippage recently. Freddy is a gamer, but can he hold up all year? I trust Danks the most, but he can't carry the team himself. Adding Oswalt insures against any slip ups and gives us a fantastic chance of having multiple great starters for the postseason.

I'm beginning to think Roy Oswalt would be a very good fit for the Sox. Of course, if he doesn't want to join the hottest team in baseball, then screw him. But he could be a difference maker here. Sox could use a power starter, like Peavy was, for the postseason. No one fits that bill with Peavy out. Oswalt would fit that bill. He's 4-0 in the postseason. We beat his team, but he didn't lose the game in 2005.

What would it take to get Oswalt? I don't think as much as people might think, mostly because of his contract.

I won't hold my breath on this one because it's up to Oswalt for it to even be possible. But I think it would actually make a lot of sense. Plus, it would keep perhaps the best available pitcher out there, now that Lee has moved, away from our competition.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 02:17 AM)
Oswalt could refuse to come to the Sox, but why exactly would he? Here's an Olney article from early this year. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5210872 Seems like it crosses off a lot of teams.

The Sox, it would seem, could afford Oswalt for the rest of this season. Since we are presumably cashing an insurance policy on Jake Peavy, we could just take the Peavy money and apply it to Oswalt. That leaves his big contract in 2011. Somehow I think KW will figure it out if it can get us another World Series.

Would Oswalt get us to the postseason? He would certainly give us another dominant pitcher and a basically airtight rotation. That strikes me as the key to more winning streaks in the second half. Minnesota could not keep up with that staff. And with the Tigers' tougher record, I can't see how they could either. It could be 1983 again with the Sox staying hot and pulling away. (We won't win by 20 games again, but we could make it so it doesn't come down to the wire.)

Oswalt also would give us some mojo for the postseason because the Sox would have the best staff going in, and if you want to win it all, you need to be best at something. You can't be lucky if you want to win the WS. Sox pitching would be dominant. Line em up however you want. Based on whomever is hottest. And the great bullpen would protect a guy like Oswalt, who is basically a 7 inning pitcher. Oswalt has been touched up for 4, 6, and 7 earned runs in 3 of 18 starts. Every other game has been 3 runs or less. Even if you add an AL adjustment, the guy's a solid power pitcher.

Oswalt also protects against late-season slippage by any of our other starters. We know Floyd didn't have much left in the 2008 postseason. And he stunk earlier this year. So, as great as he's been, we can't project that performance into October. Buehrle has had second-half slippage recently. Freddy is a gamer, but can he hold up all year? I trust Danks the most, but he can't carry the team himself. Adding Oswalt insures against any slip ups and gives us a fantastic chance of having multiple great starters for the postseason.

I'm beginning to think Roy Oswalt would be a very good fit for the Sox. Of course, if he doesn't want to join the hottest team in baseball, then screw him. But he could be a difference maker here. Sox could use a power starter, like Peavy was, for the postseason. No one fits that bill with Peavy out. Oswalt would fit that bill. He's 4-0 in the postseason. We beat his team, but he didn't lose the game in 2005.

What would it take to get Oswalt? I don't think as much as people might think, mostly because of his contract.

I won't hold my breath on this one because it's up to Oswalt for it to even be possible. But I think it would actually make a lot of sense. Plus, it would keep perhaps the best available pitcher out there, now that Lee has moved, away from our competition.

:notworthy wasn't sold, but now i am. break out the sales pitch, glengary peavy!

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 06:34 AM)
The ideal situation is a Lance Berkman-Roy Oswalt salary dump of sorts.

The cost would probably include Hudson-Flowers-Morel-Torres-A Ball Player (Brandon Short? Kyle Bellamy?)

I don't think I'd want Berkman in the deal. I'm becoming more and more convinced that TCQ should get at least half of the DH ABs going forward, to keep him healthy and improve the defense. I could see adding a situational lefty, but I'm not that keen on adding someone who will want to play everyday. Especially a guy who is limited to 1B/DH.