Heyman: Sox may consider Oswalt

macsandz

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 10:05 AM)
Of all the places for a rich ass athlete to go on campus LOL.

I don't think they can be considered your typical rich ass athletes, they are about as hillbilly as they come. When Oswalt negotiated his last contract, he asked for and received a brand new tractor (or bulldozer) from the 'Stros.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
Oswalt is just what the doctor ordered and wont cost nearly as much as what it cost to obtain Cliff Lee. Do It!

Yes he will, because McLane has stated that he will eat money (which the Sox would need) in order to get more prospects. He is going to cost $7 mill this year, $16 mill next year, and then $16 mill in 2012 or $2 mill to buy him out.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
Yes he will, because McLane has stated that he will eat money (which the Sox would need) in order to get more prospects. He is going to cost $7 mill this year, $16 mill next year, and then $16 mill in 2012 or $2 mill to buy him out.

If Houston is willing to eat half of his contract. Meaning we will pay 3.5 the rest of this year. 8 mill next year and then just buy him out for 2012, I say we go for it. He is great insurance for Peavy. And if somehow Peavy returns next year we are stacked! If not perhaps another year of Freddy couldn't hurt. .

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
If Houston is willing to eat half of his contract. Meaning we will pay 3.5 the rest of this year. 8 mill next year and then just buy him out for 2012, I say we go for it. He is great insurance for Peavy. And if somehow Peavy returns next year we are stacked! If not perhaps another year of Freddy couldn't hurt. .

And that would still cost Hudson plus one or both of Flowers and Viciedo. How are you going to realistically replace Konerko and Pierzynski when like $85 million is locked up between 13 players already? And beyond that, with Freddy Garcia proving that he's been healthy (thus far) and league average, you can count on him costing in the neighborhood of $5-8 mill next year while he remains the same injury risk he's always been, if not a bigger injury risk with another year on his arm and him getting a year older.

Quite honestly, any player the Sox were to acquire at this point would likely come in as a (semi-)rental player, and would be resigned pretty much only if the Sox won the World Series or atleast made a deep run in the postseason. The Sox simply can't afford much else. Putting those eggs in the "deep postseason run" basket before the end of July could very easily be a misstep, and then having to deal them again in the offseason to avoid losing a substantial amount of money would not only leave the team in a terrible PR situation, it would also be a waste of resources as they wouldn't get the same value back as they traded away in July.

I still think the biggest trade the Sox could make is for Adam Dunn, but I'm expecting Adam LaRoche (with whom I would be perfectly content), and it's entirely possible and plausible that they don't make a single move. Assuming Quentin maintains productivity and Beckham is indeed turning it around, the Sox have 4 legitimate bats in the order, and have other solid contributors such as Jones, Ramirez, Teahen, and Pierzynski, and to some extent, guys like Kotsay, Pierre, and Vizquel as well. A move would be nice, but I don't believe it's an absolute necessity unless they can get the right price on the right guy.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 03:42 PM)
And that would still cost Hudson plus one or both of Flowers and Viciedo. How are you going to realistically replace Konerko and Pierzynski when like $85 million is locked up between 13 players already? And beyond that, with Freddy Garcia proving that he's been healthy (thus far) and league average, you can count on him costing in the neighborhood of $5-8 mill next year while he remains the same injury risk he's always been, if not a bigger injury risk with another year on his arm and him getting a year older.

Quite honestly, any player the Sox were to acquire at this point would likely come in as a (semi-)rental player, and would be resigned pretty much only if the Sox won the World Series or atleast made a deep run in the postseason. The Sox simply can't afford much else. Putting those eggs in the "deep postseason run" basket before the end of July could very easily be a misstep, and then having to deal them again in the offseason to avoid losing a substantial amount of money would not only leave the team in a terrible PR situation, it would also be a waste of resources as they wouldn't get the same value back as they traded away in July.

I still think the biggest trade the Sox could make is for Adam Dunn, but I'm expecting Adam LaRoche (with whom I would be perfectly content), and it's entirely possible and plausible that they don't make a single move. Assuming Quentin maintains productivity and Beckham is indeed turning it around, the Sox have 4 legitimate bats in the order, and have other solid contributors such as Jones, Ramirez, Teahen, and Pierzynski, and to some extent, guys like Kotsay, Pierre, and Vizquel as well. A move would be nice, but I don't believe it's an absolute necessity unless they can get the right price on the right guy.

Very nice post. I just truly believe starting pitching is the most important ingrediant to have for a long successful post season run. We saw in 2008 that Floyd was burned out. And we can't expect Freddy to continue to do what he is doing without a break. We need depth to continue to give our bullpen days off. We have arguably the best bullpen in the AL and we NEED to keep it fresh. Is Oswalt the answer? Maybe, maybe not. One thing we have to remember is- Hudson was supposed to be insurance for a Freddy Garcia failure (to injury or lack of production). Now that Peavy is out- we have to be extra cautious. One more blow to the rotation- and we are in BIG BIG trouble. I think its absolutely essential that KW picks up another SP. If he can get a SP cheaper than Oswalt by all means Im for it.

As far as Adam Dunn goes, Im ALL for that move. And since Dunn came out public about how he is now reluctant to sign an extension- his value probably wont be as high and hopefully wont cost us Vidiedo.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)

If the Sox are taking on Oswalt's contract, I can't see having to give up Hudson AND Flowers or Viciedo. I could see Hudson and some lesser guys. And to me that move would be totally worth it. Oswalt gives us the best shot of making the postseason, and then doing something when we get there. Dunn, who is not going to be traded, would not be nearly as valuable in the postseason as a plus power pitcher who could win several games.

Give me Oswalt if he's willing to join the Sox. I think Peavy may take a while to come back, so Oswalt basically plays for the Peavy insurance money.

Jake has said that he will be at every home game in his uniform cheering the guys on and I believe he said he wants to travel with the guys too.

I wonder if he has to pay for his own hotel room. Not to be a dick, but he's not needed on road trips.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 12:39 AM)
I wonder if he has to pay for his own hotel room. Not to be a dick, but he's not needed on road trips.

He's staying with the team mostly for the specialized rehabilitation. He travels where Herm and Mark go. Since this is somewhat unkonwn territory, they are going to watch him close.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 11:39 PM)

The dude makes like $15,000,000.00 a year.

Do you realize that is $41,000 a DAY? I doubt they are too concerned about his hotel room.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 12:31 AM)
If the Sox are taking on Oswalt's contract, I can't see having to give up Hudson AND Flowers or Viciedo. I could see Hudson and some lesser guys. And to me that move would be totally worth it. Oswalt gives us the best shot of making the postseason, and then doing something when we get there. Dunn, who is not going to be traded, would not be nearly as valuable in the postseason as a plus power pitcher who could win several games.

Give me Oswalt if he's willing to join the Sox. I think Peavy may take a while to come back, so Oswalt basically plays for the Peavy insurance money.

1) The Sox can't afford to pick up Oswalt's entire tab. They have somewhere around $80 million committed to 13 players next year and they still have to fill out a bench, bullpen, and find some type of DH with that money. If you bring in Oswalt and don't make the Astros pay a cent, that suddenly jumps to $95 million committed to 14 players. Even if the Sox kept their $100 million payroll, that would leave them $5 million to fill out the bullpen, bench, and DH spot. At that point, the Sox would have to trade someone who is making a bit of money, and when the Sox have to trade Peavy/Oswalt/Buehrle/Rios because they can't afford it, it will end in a PR disaster.

2) It is looking more likely that Dunn will be dealt because he and the Nats haven't been able to work out a long term contract. If that is the case, the Nationals can either deal him for what they feel is a solid return for a great player plus 2 draft picks, or they can take 2 draft picks. To me, that leaves me believing that he will be traded. His services will be in demand, and all the Nationals have to do is receive a package that equals more in value to 2 compensatory picks.

3) It's unknown when Peavy will come back exactly, but most indications are that he should be ready early next season. For the Sox to be able to collect insurance on him next year, he would have to be done for the season before the season even begins. They will not collect insurance for him this year, and, since he will come back at some point next season, they will not collect insurance for him then either. You can't think of that as a possibility.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)
The ideal situation is a Lance Berkman-Roy Oswalt salary dump of sorts.

The cost would probably include Hudson-Flowers-Morel-Torres-A Ball Player (Brandon Short? Kyle Bellamy?)

That's more talent then was given away by Texas for Lee IMO anyway

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 02:14 PM)
1) The Sox can't afford to pick up Oswalt's entire tab. They have somewhere around $80 million committed to 13 players next year and they still have to fill out a bench, bullpen, and find some type of DH with that money. If you bring in Oswalt and don't make the Astros pay a cent, that suddenly jumps to $95 million committed to 14 players. Even if the Sox kept their $100 million payroll, that would leave them $5 million to fill out the bullpen, bench, and DH spot. At that point, the Sox would have to trade someone who is making a bit of money, and when the Sox have to trade Peavy/Oswalt/Buehrle/Rios because they can't afford it, it will end in a PR disaster.

2) It is looking more likely that Dunn will be dealt because he and the Nats haven't been able to work out a long term contract. If that is the case, the Nationals can either deal him for what they feel is a solid return for a great player plus 2 draft picks, or they can take 2 draft picks. To me, that leaves me believing that he will be traded. His services will be in demand, and all the Nationals have to do is receive a package that equals more in value to 2 compensatory picks.

3) It's unknown when Peavy will come back exactly, but most indications are that he should be ready early next season. For the Sox to be able to collect insurance on him next year, he would have to be done for the season before the season even begins. They will not collect insurance for him this year, and, since he will come back at some point next season, they will not collect insurance for him then either. You can't think of that as a possibility.

3) What's the point of insurance if it doesn't pay in the year the player goes down? In other words, how many injuries span multiple years? I would venture to guess it is very few.

2) I live outside DC and am not getting the vibe that Dunn will be moved, for a few reasons. First is they want to keep him. He's the heart of their lineup. And they expect their pitching to improve rapidly enough that keeping Zimmerman, Dunn, and Willingham is going to be a high priority. Strassburg changes everything for the Nats, including having the money to keep Dunn. Second, because Dunn would bring compensation, who's going to pay the Nats enough on top of compensation to get him? Third, why would the Sox do it for a rental when Dunn doesn't want to DH?

1) If we can take on Dunn or Cecil Fielder's contract, we can take on Oswalt's. This is the kind of move KW is known for. A deep run in the playoffs would certainly help the club's bottom line. Don't underestimate how much Jerry Reinsdorf might be willing to spend if he thinks the Sox have a chance at another World Series.

Let me just ask a different point. Who's likely to have more impact? A bat, or a pitcher like Oswalt?

My answer is Oswalt, hands down. That's because Oswalt keeps our rotation airtight, like the 1983 club was in the second half. That wins us the Central Division. In the playoffs, Oswalt, at 4-0, is a proven winner. He gives us a chance against the Yankees, Texas, Boston, or the Rays. Without a power arm like Oswalt's, I can't see us getting past the first round.

The other reason to go for a pitcher is I think TCQ ought to DH a fair amount in the second half. That would mean the bat we'd need would have to be able to play OF better than Quentin. So far, no one has suggested a lefty power hitter who can play OF better than Quentin. Dunn certainly can't, and Fielder and LaRoche are 1Bs.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
3) What's the point of insurance if it doesn't pay in the year the player goes down? In other words, how many injuries span multiple years? I would venture to guess it is very few.

I'm sure you could get an insurance company to start insuring contracts where a guy misses half the season. But as I'm sure you can figure...that happens a lot more often than a guy missing an entire season...and so the insurance cost would be much, much higher.

Let me just ask a different point. Who's likely to have more impact? A bat, or a pitcher like Oswalt?
On this team? A bat, no question.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jul 14, 2010 -> 04:29 PM)
1) If we can take on Dunn or Cecil Fielder's contract, we can take on Oswalt's. This is the kind of move KW is known for. A deep run in the playoffs would certainly help the club's bottom line. Don't underestimate how much Jerry Reinsdorf might be willing to spend if he thinks the Sox have a chance at another World Series.

Cecil will just gamble it away