Beckham Back to the 2 Hole?

JohnCangelosi

63 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see GB back in the 2 hole?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 06:28 AM)
Has he been better the last two weeks? Pardon me, I wasn't able to watch the last 5 games or so

It looks like to me he is coming out of it. 3 hits yesterday and we are seeing glimpses of last years Beckham in the past few games. I just don't like seeing Omar in the 2 hole getting all of those AB's now as an everyday player. We know GB has the potential and I think it is worth the risk

I'd say its actually too late, as much as too soon. He's just now apparently coming out of his funk, so don't mess with him any more than necessary. Might have made sense a couple weeks ago as a way to change his approach, might make sense later if he really picks it up, but right now it doesn't.

Not until he starts outhitting Omar Vizquel. He still has a ways to go. Beckham is stuck in that early mode that the whole team was in. He'd have a good game or a good AB and follow it up with a lot of crap.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 05:11 AM)
Well, would you? Personally I think we put him back in there after the break and give him another chance at it...Omar shouldn't be playing everyday and I know he has been serviceable in the 2 hole but...

Ramirez has been doing just fine in the 2 spot and one 3 hit game isn't going to force me to move Gordon. I want him to get comfortable and get his mojo back. He seems, based upon his quotes, to be feeling a bit better with where he is, but we will see. I think it says something that White Sox mgmt still wouldn't move Gordon for a guy like Lee even though Gordon has been in a massive funk.

I think they, as do the Mariners (who asked for him) know the value Beckham can have for a club (if all goes well and I sure hope it does from here on out!!!).

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 08:28 AM)
Has he been better the last two weeks? Pardon me, I wasn't able to watch the last 5 games or so

In the last 14 days (9 games) he hit .333/.355/.533. He has 10 hits in those games, 4 for extra-bases (1 homer and 3 doubles). So, he is, at least, having a nice stretch.

"You mean going from no production to production?" said Beckham with a wry smile of his .310 average in his final 12 games before the break, following Sunday's three-hit effort in a 15-5 victory over the Royals. "I'm going to hit and it was a matter of time trying to get a feel, and I've got that feel. That will carry over. It should help the offense and hopefully I can get back in there and do some damage."

If Beckham started a sustained hitting tear like last season, I would actually hit him lead off, not #2. Pierre's bunting skills might be better used advancing Beckham on occasion, whereas I'd seldom want a hot-hitting Beckham to sacrifice. And if Pierre gets on with an out, his running threat should allow Rios to see more fastballs.

(Frankly, if Beckham and Ramirez both got hot, I'd hit them at the top and Pierre #9.)

QUOTE (VAfan @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)
If Beckham started a sustained hitting tear like last season, I would actually hit him lead off, not #2. Pierre's bunting skills might be better used advancing Beckham on occasion, whereas I'd seldom want a hot-hitting Beckham to sacrifice. And if Pierre gets on with an out, his running threat should allow Rios to see more fastballs.

(Frankly, if Beckham and Ramirez both got hot, I'd hit them at the top and Pierre #9.)

What bunting skills for Pierre? He's the worst bunter I've seen on the Sox in forever.

Guys, let's be honest here. Our pitching is the reason for our 25-5 run. The offense has come alive a bit, but generally speaking the SP has been lights out. Our offense still leaves much to be desired. You know what you're going to get out of Omar in the 2 hole. A punch hitter that can bunt and hit about .240. If Becks is coming alive, which I believe he is, we need to get him back into this position. I realize he's sucked so far this year, he has been pathetic. But to me he has shown he is on his way out of this slump and is primed for a nice second half. Let's QUIT THE CONSERVATIVE mentality here we have. This is the SAME mentality we had last year about not bringing him up in the first place when we all know we would have wanted him to play all 162 games with the way he hit in 2009.

Obviously, Ozzie doesn't have the balls to make this move, and not many on this forum would have the balls to either, because they don't want to take a risk. But let's be honest, do we want a 43 yr old in the 2 hole the rest of the way? Personally I don't - Omar has served us well but we cannot expect much more than a punching Judy with an average of .250 tops with very little extra base power in the 2 hole the rest of the way. And there is the chance he really struggles as the season progresses if we put him out there nearly everyday.

We need more out of our Offense, and we cannot let GB hit .315 after the break in the 9 hole and never pull him out of it, like a lot of people would allow happen because they don't have the guts to make a change. I have a bad feeling we're going to let Gordo hit .300 + for 6 weeks or more in the 9 hole and no one is even going to notice and we won't have the nuts to make a change because "we don't want to risk it"...

I say F&*K that, let's take the risk. Perhaps that's why I've been an entrepreneur my whole life but to me this just makes sense, going on nothing more than GUT FEEL.

Who is with me?!?!??!

There's my .02 cents

P.S. Yes, I had a few drinks tonight, it's 3 AM in Europe right now :-)

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 09:48 PM)
Guys, let's be honest here. Our pitching is the reason for our 25-5 run. The offense has come alive a bit, but generally speaking the SP has been lights out. Our offense still leaves much to be desired. You know what you're going to get out of Omar in the 2 hole. A punch hitter that can bunt and hit about .240. If Becks is coming alive, which I believe he is, we need to get him back into this position. I realize he's sucked so far this year, he has been pathetic. But to me he has shown he is on his way out of this slump and is primed for a nice second half. Let's QUIT THE CONSERVATIVE mentality here we have. This is the SAME mentality we had last year about not bringing him up in the first place when we all know we would have wanted him to play all 162 games with the way he hit in 2009.

Obviously, Ozzie doesn't have the balls to make this move, and not many on this forum would have the balls to either, because they don't want to take a risk. But let's be honest, do we want a 43 yr old in the 2 hole the rest of the way? Personally I don't - Omar has served us well but we cannot expect much more than a punching Judy with an average of .250 tops with very little extra base power in the 2 hole the rest of the way. And there is the chance he really struggles as the season progresses if we put him out there nearly everyday.

We need more out of our Offense, and we cannot let GB hit .315 after the break in the 9 hole and never pull him out of it, like a lot of people would allow happen because they don't have the guts to make a change. I have a bad feeling we're going to let Gordo hit .300 + for 6 weeks or more in the 9 hole and no one is even going to notice and we won't have the nuts to make a change because "we don't want to risk it"...

I say F&*K that, let's take the risk. Perhaps that's why I've been an entrepreneur my whole life but to me this just makes sense, going on nothing more than GUT FEEL.

Who is with me?!?!??!

There's my .02 cents

P.S. Yes, I had a few drinks tonight, it's 3 AM in Europe right now :-)

i like the spirit, but i'm pretty sure ozzie wants him hitting high in the order just as bad as you do. He's a beckham guy just like us, and when he sees gordo complete his u-turn, he'll go back to his rightful spot in the order. i really doubt he goes long in the 9-hole if he's having success. not with the expectations this organization has for him. i mean, they coupd have had cliff lee for gordo and they said no.

2 weeks isn't enough to prove to me that Beckham is back and certainly not enough to throw him in the 2 hole again. Leave him where is and hope he's actually starting to get back on track as a major league player and not just having a hot 2 week stretch before he goes back into a funk.

I don't think Gordon should go back to the 2 hole right now. His swing and at bats have looked immeasurably better lately, but I'll need to see more before I'm ready to hit him 2nd again. I will say that one thing he needs to go back to is "Your Love" as his at bat song though.