Second half predictions

witesoxfan

Realistic or pipe dream fantasy. Whatever. You know how these work.

-Beckham continues to bounce back and ends this suckfest of a year with an OPS above .700.

-Williams makes a couple of moves, one to add a left handed bat, and one to add another back of the rotation type to allow for flexibility for the rest of the season

-Ozzie Guillen says that Tony Pena is his MVP

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 12:15 PM)

-Beckham continues to bounce back and ends this suckfest of a year with an OPS above .700.

-Williams makes a couple of moves, one to add a left handed bat, and one to add another back of the rotation type to allow for flexibility for the rest of the season

Looks like we have ourselves a new D.J. Carrasco.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
Carlos Quentin hits well enough to get into MVP consideration, despite his horrid defense.

I don't think his D has been horrid.

I mean - come on... horrid?

NOT EVEN CLOSE! =)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 12:15 PM)

There's what I WANT to happen and what I think will happen:

-Beckham definitely recovers and finishes strong.

-Kenny steers clear of the big deal and acquires a Geoff Blum-type "chemistry move".

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 12:37 PM)
20100712-xs753rptybj1udwcmqhpfe4apy.png

Did you forget that he ran like a wide receiver route to get to that ball? It was a great play, don't get me wrong, but that one play should not tell you that Carlos Quentin is good at fielding.

He has the worst UZR as a right fielder in baseball right now. And his Plus/Minus is a -11. He has one of the worst zone ratings among all right fielders. None of this should be surprising, his defense has been declining ever since his foot problems.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 12:39 PM)
If he wasn't so bad at defense, he wouldn't have had to make such a crazy catch.

Yup, had he ran a good route to the ball, he wouldn't have missed three games as a result.

-MLB officials suspend Freddy Garcia, stating that he can't be as good as he's been therefore he must have a robotic arm

-Brent Lillibridge demands that he be known as TBL on SoxTalk

-Carlos Quentin's hair actually gets messed up after he hits a walk-off GS, rips off his helmet, and his teammates rub his head

-Mark Buehrle is tossed from a game by Joe West when he strolls to the mound wearing a cowboy hat

-Peavy, being the grinder that he is, learns how to pitch left-handed and starts a game in late September

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 12:44 PM)
Ugh, anyone criticizing Quentin for that catch obviously didn't appreciate how bad the sun was.

The point is that one catch shouldn't mold your entire opinion or sway your opinion about somebody's playing abilities. I can probably pick out 20 plays that Carlos Quentin should have made, but didn't.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 12:47 PM)
-MLB officials suspend Freddy Garcia, stating that he can't be as good as he's been therefore he must have a robotic arm

-Brent Lillibridge demands that he be known as TBL on SoxTalk

-Carlos Quentin's hair actually gets messed up after he hits a walk-off GS, rips off his helmet, and his teammates rub his head

-Mark Buehrle is tossed from a game by Joe West when he strolls to the mound wearing a cowboy hat

-Peavy, being the grinder that he is, learns how to pitch left-handed and starts a game in late September

Jake Peavy, the second coming of Billy Wagner.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 05:48 PM)
The point is that one catch shouldn't mold your entire opinion or sway your opinion about somebody's playing abilities. I can probably pick out 20 plays that Carlos Quentin should have made, but didn't.

Looks like I'm wrong - is is a criminal out there in right field...

Carlos Quentin is a minion of the Prince of Darkness, sent to Earth to undo our defense: -11.2 UZR

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
Looks like I'm wrong - is is a criminal out there in right field...

It's actually -14.1 according to FanGraphs, I'm assuming that might be more updated, I don't know. All I know is that he's been terrible out there. We've replaced one Jermaine Dye with another. Alex and Juan are trying their hardest to make up for him right now.

The nice play he made was an out of zone play though, so you have to give him credit for that, but the price of getting hurt was really not worth the risk.

I remember people making the argument that TCQ would be fine defensively in RF because he's somehow a better RF than LF, even though that went against all semblance of logic. I was hoping they'd be right at the time, but it just doesn't work that way (unless he was somehow actually worse when he played LF, which I highly doubt).

As for the second half, I think we're going to win this division. If we acquire a big bat (and if I were a betting man, i'd put money on us doing so), we might win it by a noteable margin. And the fact I'm thinking that way really scares me.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
I remember people making the argument that TCQ would be fine defensively in RF because he's somehow a better RF than LF, even though that went against all semblance of logic. I was hoping they'd be right at the time, but it just doesn't work that way (unless he was somehow actually worse when he played LF, which I highly doubt).

As for the second half, I think we're going to win this division. If we acquire a big bat (and if I were a betting man, i'd put money on us doing so), we might win it by a noteable margin. And the fact I'm thinking that way really scares me.

Well, there is no point in talking about it anymore since Q is entering his prime and unless you want to DH him (an idea many are not comfortable with), he's going to be our right fielder for another 3-4 years most likely. It's just something we're going to have to live with.

Is there actually anything on the record as to what Quentin has said in regards to the possibility of him DHing rather than playing right field?

I think chw42 pointed it out in the game thread yesterday. We can have one of the best defensive configurations in the OF in all of baseball by simply inserting Jones in right and playing Q at DH. Given our current DH options, unless Lillibridge continues to hit like a man possessed and somehow justifies taking over the DH spot, I'm not sure how much having Jones in RF and Q at DH hurts us offensively. And I've got to think it increases our chances defensively quite significantly.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 12, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
Man I wish Andruw Jones was still mashing like he was in the beginning of the year. Think about that outfield defense if he stayed in RF with TCQ DHing..

Last 7 days: .333/.444/.619/1.063