Second half predictions

witesoxfan

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
Actually 101 just said exactly that.

Yep, and it's pretty accurate. His defense is so amazingly bad that a lot of the runs his offense creates are just making up for the ones his defense gives up. If he continues hitting like he has recently, that point will become less and less true, and we can only hope that's the case. But as of now, the point still stands.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 02:31 PM)
Yep, and it's pretty accurate. His defense is so amazingly bad that a lot of the runs his offense creates are just making up for the ones his defense gives up. If he continues hitting like he has recently, that point will become less and less true, and we can only hope that's the case. But as of now, the point still stands.

You're really reaching there. You think his defense has allowed approximately 50 runs so far?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 02:23 PM)
OK, I give up before I even start this argument.

Carlos Quentin is so bad it overshadows the incredible hot streak he is on.

Now, please follow with 20 posts about how bad his defense is.

He is soooooo bad. It's disgusting to see him penciled in the lineup and sickening to see him run out to right every inning. It ruins every game for me.

I agree. The stats prove how bad he is defensively. His D overshadows everything about what he's done lately.

OK, let's move on.

Nobody said he should be out of the lineup. I love Carlos Quentin when he hits, but I would like for him to DH instead.

BTW, remember when people said that Carlos is too much of a headcase to DH? Doesn't seem to be the case since he has 4 home runs DHing these past two games.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 02:33 PM)
You're really reaching there. You think his defense has allowed approximately 50 runs so far?

Take the average offensive and defensive player. Think how many runs more than the average offensive player Q has created overall this year, then think how many runs more than the average defensive player Q has allowed with his outfield play. If you add the numbers up, Q ends up a positive player for us, but not by nearly as much as apparently everybody seems to think.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
Why is it embarrassing?

The guy makes a great catch and I read this thread and have to read about what a hack he is.

If you guys want to live in the negative, go for it.

I can't for the life of me think of why anybody would feel the need to post negative s*** about Quentin's catch today.

I'm not embarrassed by my posts. I guess we could play some great defensive right fielder out there who can't hit, then we can b**** about that player's hitting.

It is not b****ing, it is constructive criticism based on numbers.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 02:36 PM)
Then people could b**** about a rightfielder who can't field and can't hit. Oh wait, that's what you are saying Quentin is(was).

Your reactions seem as though you're taking all of this criticism personally.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
Take the average offensive and defensive player. Think how many runs more than the average offensive player Q has created overall this year, then think how many runs more than the average defensive player Q has allowed with his outfield play. If you add the numbers up, Q ends up a positive player for us, but not by nearly as much as apparently everybody seems to think.

I don't take the -14 UZR that seriously, he's been bad out there, but I don't know if he's that bad. Horrendous would be a good word to describe his fielding this year, but I don't know if it's nearing -30 UZR/150 type of horrendous.

BTW, before Sunday's game, Quentin was a negative value to the Sox as a whole.

I'm pretty sure Quentin would be far more valuable as a DH than a right fielder.

Quentin's current WAR: 0.2

Quentin's WAR as a DH with same numbers: 1.2

It's a one win difference. By him not DHing, it has cost the team a whole win share, or 10 runs created.

If you can go get a David DeJesus to play right field, it would affect the DH position by inserting Quentin there, our right field defense, and a good top of the order bat.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 02:42 PM)
I'm pretty sure Quentin would be far more valuable as a DH than a right fielder.

It's a one win difference. By him not DHing, it has cost the team a whole win share, or 10 runs created.

If you can go get a David DeJesus to play right field, it would affect both the DH position by inserting Quentin there, our right field defense, and a good top of the order bat.

FYI, BoSox and Royals talking about a possible DeJesus deal.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 02:48 PM)
We all know jermaine dye was a good outfield, a plus outfielder. Clearly that makes quentin an amazing fielder, a ++ even.

Greg has a thing for defending our right fielders' defense, even if they are bad.

I really wish that they would incorporate hit f/x and field f/x more quickly. Not only because they would be more accurate, but also because I wouldn't have to argue about defense with people like Chris Rongey on Facebook and Greg on here...

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 02:42 PM)

If you can go get a David DeJesus to play right field, it would affect the DH position by inserting Quentin there, our right field defense, and a good top of the order bat.

Don't worry, that one win isn't important since this isn't a tight divisional race. And it's not as if one win meant much the last 2 years in the AL Central either.

In all seriousness, appreciate the numbers. I figured they were about that.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

-Ozzie forces Lillibridge to bunt for singles because his constant extra base hits don't allow Guillen to hit and run.

-AJ smashes his bat into the ground before an at bat, getting it out of the way so he can just walk to the dugout when he pops up.

-Jones leans so far back to try to uppercut a fastball that he scrapes his right elbow on the ground.

-A DJ weird attempt at humor is shoe horned into a conversation, met with silence by Farmer, and then driven into the ground as DJ assumes all the joke needed was to be repeated ad nauseum.

Your reactions seem as though you're taking all of this criticism personally.

I find it absurd that people were mocking his great catch and saying negative things about a guy absolutely on fire and a team on fire.

People are still b****ing in every game thread about the lineup when the lineup is posted. It's a lineup that has helped the team to a 25-5 stretch.

Folks, this is team is on the most impressive single stretch in team history. Quentin has had an absolutely incredible stretch and people are ragging his defense? WTF.

I'm not saying negative posts aren't good. Today upon reading this thread, however, I wasn't in the mood for one with the team and the subject of the negativity SO f***ING HOT!!!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
I find it absurd that people were mocking his great catch and saying negative things about a guy absolutely on fire and a team on fire.

People are still b****ing in every game thread about the lineup when the lineup is posted. It's a lineup that has helped the team to a 25-5 stretch.

Folks, this is team is on the most impressive single stretch in team history. Quentin has had an absolutely incredible stretch and people are ragging his defense? WTF.

I'm not saying negative posts aren't good. Today upon reading this thread, however, I wasn't in the mood for one with the team and the subject of the negativity SO f***ING HOT!!!

How is pointing out the fact (not my opinion, it's a fact) that he plays terrible defense count as "mocking" him? I never even dissed the catch he made against the Angels. In fact, I was one of the people that all things considered, defended it as a very good play. Doesn't change the fact he plays bad defense though.

And on a side note, people whine about the lineups in most game threads because Ozzie still makes questionable lineups most of the time. But when you're pitching at an epic rate and have a few hot hitters to go with it, it really doesn't matter what the lineup looks like because you'll win anyways. Doesn't mean we shouldn't question moves that deserve to be questioned though.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

On July 25th, 1906, the Chicago White Sox were 46-42, in 4th place, 9 games back of the division leader. On August 23rd, 1906, the Chicago White Sox were 69-43, in 1st place, 5.5 games better than the second place team. That means they went 23-1 (plus 1 tie) over a 25 game stretch and made up 14.5 games in less than a month.

As such, I would argue that the current 25-5 stretch is, at best, the second most impressive stretch in franchise history.

False

Going 17-1 16-1 to finish out the 2005 regular and post season combined is quite a bit better.

Edited by BigSqwert