The Bars Thread

maggsmaggs

I wasnt responding to any post specifically, just saying that I enjoy drink specials.

More to the point I was suggesting that there are plenty of bars that have drink specials, so dont just limit yourself to the 6 or so that are affiliated with Kendalls.

Weve been to places where Guiness, etc is part of the package. Just gotta keep your eyes open.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to frequent The Auld Dubliner in Bolingbrook (and by frequent, I mean I was there nightly). Since they closed, I haven't found myself a new home-bar. I really enjoyed the quiet-ish Irish pub feel and nothing in the burbs has grasped me in my drunken wandering over the past year.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 04:55 PM)
Everyone should do themselves a favor and go to IU's Little 500 at one point this week if you want bar deals.

I don't doubt that LIttle 500 is a party, but comparing bar deals on a college campus to the city of Chicago, is like comparing a Kane County Cougars game to a Sox game.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 03:50 PM)
$150 was somewhat hyperbole, although there have been plenty of times Ive spent that much.

For $20 you can drink all you can drink at many places. You immediately have to add $10 for tips, thus my $30 as the minimum.

Now for all you can drink we are normally getting in the area of 10 drinks. Lets say that we are at a normal bar, that would be around $50 if we are drinking low end beer or well drinks. Now you once again have to add at least $10 for tips.

So sure, was I using hyperbole to say $150 versus $30. But even at what i would consider to be the cheapest bars, Im still at minimum spending $50-$60 and that is not including food, which these specials include (maybe not classy food, but a meal is a meal). So add on another $10+ tip for food.

Once again, I was being sarcastic about the $150. but I guess even the most chill atmosphere isnt worth 2x the price of admission. Ive been to bars from Uptown to River North to the West Side. I wont even get into the West Side because thats an additional $20 or more on cabs.

My point was more about the attitude saying that drink specials are for college kids only. Drink specials are for anyone who enjoys getting drunk and not having to pay through the nose.

Whether you think $50 is a lot (some people dont) or $150, I prefer to spend less.

I do plenty of drink specials. It wasnt a dig at that or anything. That whole stretch of Lincoln is aimed at a younger crowd, which is about when I used to go up there. I probably spent my entire 18-22 lifetime rocking up and down that stretch of lincoln as well as over to clark street. I find its a bit annoying the older you get, not because of the specials, because of having to deal with an age group that generally acts a different way than I do. In no way is that a negative, I used to kill it up there, and it was awesome.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 06:47 PM)
I don't doubt that LIttle 500 is a party, but comparing bar deals on a college campus to the city of Chicago, is like comparing a Kane County Cougars game to a Sox game.

Haha no doubt, it was moreso for the entertainment lineup they have planned. Unbelievable.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 08:37 PM)
Haha no doubt, it was moreso for the entertainment lineup they have planned. Unbelievable.

Like I said in the catch-all, I think the past two years were better. Though Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj, Wiz Khalifa, Gucci Mane, Rick Ross, Chiddy Bang, and Pretty Lights is nothing to sneeze at.

And as for the "get down to Btown for Little 5" comment...definitely. But not for the specials (because there aren't really any...the bars don't need specials to make people come out this week). Mostly just because Little 5 is absolutely insane, but I feel most of that happens at the general debauchery going on at houses, as well as bars.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 11, 2011 -> 11:11 PM)
I just more wanted to profess my love for drink specials. I thought they were getting a bad name, so I felt that if i defended their honor maybe they would go home with me.

Remember to wrap it up.

I've been down to little 5 in response to the above comments. I stayed at my fraternity house on campus and it was hell of a good time. Back in those days sleeping on the floor in a filthy house was considered heaven, and it certainly was.