George Steinbrenner died

whitem0nkey

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ga...ttack-yankees/1

New York Daily News, citing a Yankees team source, says George Steinbrenner died at about 6:30 a.m. ET today after suffering a heart attack last night.

WABC reports George Steinbrenner has suffered a massive heart attack. The TV station says the Yankees owner was rushed to St. Joseph's hospital. The New York Daily News and ESPN are reporting that "The Boss" is in "extremely critical condition."

Steinbrenner turned 80 on July 4th...............

He has been in very poor health the past couple years, pretty much wheelchair bound and many people speculating dementia. RIP George, you were larger than life and you were the owner that everyone hated, and everyone wanted

The man was all kinds of crazy into the early 1990's as a owner. But the last 14 years or so will be where his legacy lies IMO, even though he's been in failing health the last several and his kids have gradually taken over. Between the YES Network, the championships, and new Yankee Stadium, he has quite the positive legacy for himself now. RIP.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 09:54 AM)
R.I.P.

On a side note we'll be hearing the rest of the year how the Yanks will be a team of destiny, winning one more for ol' George.

and with Sheppard passing away two days ago, the team of destiny talk will definitely be out in full force

R.I.P.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 10:54 AM)
R.I.P.

On a side note we'll be hearing the rest of the year how the Yanks will be a team of destiny, winning one more for ol' George.

I pretty much told my one friend who's not a Yankee fan that exact same thing this morning.

I mean, it's sad he died and all, it really is, but the media is going to make this so annoying.

The team of destiny stuff is silly (although you all are right, it'll be out there). The thought should be more along the lines of Sheppard and Steinbrenner at least got to see one last hurrah this past October, similar to Harry Kalas getting to see (and call) a title for the Phillies in '08 before passing the next spring.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
The man was all kinds of crazy into the early 1990's as a owner. But the last 14 years or so will be where his legacy lies IMO, even though he's been in failing health the last several and his kids have gradually taken over. Between the YES Network, the championships, and new Yankee Stadium, he has quite the positive legacy for himself now. RIP.

My thoughts exactly. He was in Bill Wirtz territory for a long time until the last 10 years or so.

RIP you crazy guy.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 01:08 PM)
My thoughts exactly. He was in Bill Wirtz territory for a long time until the last 10 years or so.

RIP you crazy guy.

How do you mean? Bill Wirtz was a notorious penny pincher, Steinbrenner was a notorious free spender

QUOTE (SHIPPS @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 01:46 PM)
R.I.P. George

I will always remember him being portrayed on Seinfeld...awesome character on that show.

Silly as it sounds that's the first thing I thought of too....that's the only way I "knew" him I guess. Either way, obviously a huge loss to baseball. RIP

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 01:08 PM)

RIP you crazy guy.

Have to disagree with the Bill Wirtz point. Even before he left his baseball people take over in the mid 90's, he spent a ton of money and had some success in the mid to late 70's and early 80's.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 02:21 PM)
Lately people dying have been huge bummers to me.

One of the bigger than life owners of sports teams.

Yeah, my first trip to Yankee Stadium was in 2003. Bob Sheppard was still on the PA, and George was still running a lot of things (I believe '03 was just before his health started failing him). Makes me feel both sad and old they are now both gone.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 02:44 PM)
Except for all of those championships...

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 13, 2010 -> 03:29 PM)
Have to disagree with the Bill Wirtz point. Even before he left his baseball people take over in the mid 90's, he spent a ton of money and had some success in the mid to late 70's and early 80's.

No one gets what I mean.

From 1979-1995 the man was loathed by everyone involved with the franchise and most non-Yankee people viewed him as meddling and unpleasant. He thought he knew better than anyone else how to run his team, and it took someone else taking over (during his suspension) for the team to have stability and win again.