7/15 - Sox @ Minnesota

Heads22

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
Span CF

Hudson 2B

Mauer C

Cuddyer 1B

Kubel RF

Young LF

Thome DH

Hardy SS

Punto 3B

Slowey

No Morneau. :)

Somebody should really tell Gardenhire that Cuddyer is not a good guy to put in the clean-up spot. That's the spot for your best hitter.

Edited by chw42

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 03:14 PM)
After tonight's shellacking they will decide to go another route.

We need to hit him like we did in the last game at the dome back in 2008. Unfortunately, we lost that game. But we did score like 6 runs.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
According to Garfien Morneau might land on the DL, TIFWIW.

benchwarmerjim said he had multiple concussions playing hockey in HS, and has already had a concussion in the majors before this recent one. Concussion syndrome is no joke, if he has it right now he is probably feeling pretty awful.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)
According to Garfien Morneau might land on the DL, TIFWIW.

More on that from the Minneapolis Star Tribune...

Twins first baseman Justin Morneau tried working out today and felt woozy. He said he's probably headed to the 15-day disabled list.

Morneau said he has felt progressively better in recent days, so he's encouraged. He'll be eligible to come off the DL on July 23.

The Twins plan to activate Matt Tolbert (bruised right middle finger) from the DL on Friday, so he'll likely swap spots with Morneau.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 06:08 PM)
Not his cutter?

Nope. His changeup has been murder on Righties this year but he's gotten hit harder on it against lefties. His cutter might play into it, but I'll go for the change. Someone know where to beat me down with the "batting average against this pitch" advanced stats?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)

Somebody should really tell Gardenhire that Cuddyer is not a good guy to put in the clean-up spot. That's the spot for your best hitter.

I think the 3 hole is where you should put your best all around hitter...cleanup should be your biggest masher. Of course, it all depends on chemistry

Either way...let's get this win, keep winning these series' and ride this sh@# to the end!

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 02:31 PM)
The worst thing that can happen if we lose today is a tie for first place.

I have no idea why Slowey is pitching today, he's been bad lately and he hasn't had the greatest year. Pavano's been their best starter as of late.

I thought the same thing. Definitely thought they would of gone Pavano, Liriano to start the 2nd half. Maybe the pitching match ups line up a certain way for them in the upcoming weeks this way.

QUOTE (southsidepride15 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)
I think the 3 hole is where you should put your best all around hitter...cleanup should be your biggest masher. Of course, it all depends on chemistry

Either way...let's get this win, keep winning these series' and ride this sh@# to the end!

That's a myth that's been broken. The best place to put your best hitters are the 4th and 5th spots. Those guys end up with the most amount of men on base when they go to the plate. Obviously, you'd like to have your best hitters hit with men on base to maximize their runs driven in.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 05:43 PM)
I thought the same thing. Definitely thought they would of gone Pavano, Liriano to start the 2nd half. Maybe the pitching match ups line up a certain way for them in the upcoming weeks this way.

Pavano started Sunday. So they were not going to pitch him on 3 days rest.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
If Jenks faces Thome in a late inning situation, do not throw low fastballs! I'm nervous for tonight's game. It's great feeling like the games really matter.

You would hope Jenks learned from his last head to head with Big Jim

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
That's entirely a function of his changeup.

That's BS, as a good change up gets anyone out regardless of which they bat. However, you do have to locate the change up on different ends of the plate depending on what type of movement you have.

With Danks, I believe it's more of a fact he doesn't use his change up as much and doesn't locate it properly vs. lefties.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)

Their best hitter is injured, and Mauer is their no. 3 hitter, a role he fits perfectly and shouldn't have to be moved from.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 05:49 PM)
That's a myth that's been broken. The best place to put your best hitters are the 4th and 5th spots. Those guys end up with the most amount of men on base when they go to the plate. Obviously, you'd like to have your best hitters hit with men on base to maximize their runs driven in.

This is just stupid logic. Yeah, odds are your 4 and 5 hitters will wind up batting with the most runners on, but they also bat behind the 3 hole hitter (and 4 hole for the 5th hitter).

Your best 2 hitters should be 3 and 4, where they get the most AB's possible. Its the duty of the 1 and 2 guys to get on base.

Why wouldn't you guarantee one of your best hitters an AB in the first inning?

I see your point chw42, but I have to say....

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
This is just stupid logic. Yeah, odds are your 4 and 5 hitters will wind up batting with the most runners on, but they also bat behind the 3 hole hitter (and 4 hole for the 5th hitter).

Your best 2 hitters should be 3 and 4, where they get the most AB's possible. Its the duty of the 1 and 2 guys to get on base.

Why wouldn't you guarantee one of your best hitters an AB in the first inning?

This ^