7/15 - Sox @ Minnesota

Heads22

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 08:40 PM)
Worst AB of the season for Rios.

He's had a few stinkers lately, but that was awful. His 2 whiffs were on pitches never in the zone.

Unbelievable that a guy with 0 control didn't give up at least the inherited runner there.

• Replies 784
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well first of all youre assuming that Ozzie called for the bunt and it wasnt Pierre's own doing.

If Pierre was a better hitter, Id agree completely. But most of his game is speed and hitting the ball to the left side. When you have a runner on, those plays arent nearly as hard. Taking into account Pierre's skill set, I think that butning for a hit is just as likely to have a successful outcome as swinging.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 15, 2010 -> 07:43 PM)
A one-run game now and we're only through three and a half innings of this one - AND we're already into their bullpen. This one is long from over!

Especially since their bullpen has been faltering lately.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 02:42 AM)
Well first of all youre assuming that Ozzie called for the bunt and it wasnt Pierre's own doing.

If Pierre was a better hitter, Id agree completely. But most of his game is speed and hitting the ball to the left side. When you have a runner on, those plays arent nearly as hard. Taking into account Pierre's skill set, I think that butning for a hit is just as likely to have a successful outcome as swinging.

And you would be wrong with your last sentence, as he's around .140 on bunts this year, which would make him in the .275 range when swinging away. Bunting is also dumb to get a runner into 2nd with Vizquel up, as he'd have a tough time driving home a run with how shallow the defense plays him.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 02:46 AM)
Nick Punto has taken a few days off of my life. The fact that he continues to kill us despite having absolutely no talent is so frustrating.

He plays like the smartest player in baseball when we face him.

Successful outcome for me includes moving the runner from 1st to 2nd.

What is Pierre's success rate of bunts for hit + bunts that are successful for sacrifice?

That is the relevant stat, and my guess is that rate is higher than his 275 batting average.

And getting a man to 2nd means that you have 2 shots to for a single to potentially score the tie run.

You can disagree but its not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. If Pierre hits a double play people would be b****ing the other way.

Guess ive watched to many games where the Sox swing away into double play after double play that I prefer actually taking it to the defense and making it work.

Its different styles. The White Sox are a pitching team, you scratch out runs. That means putting the ball in play and making things happen. Im just not that confident in Pierre as a hitter, so I have no problem with forcing the defense into a hard play. Thats all I ever expect out of Pierre anyway. Dont really think that hes going to be successful.