Dan Haren traded to the Angels

macsandz

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 07:44 PM)
I would agree with you were Peavy healthy.

In the playoffs all you need is a solid 1-2-3 and you can probably get by pitching only those guys for the entire run. As long as Floyd-Danks-Buerhrle stay on track and the Garcia and Hudson don't implode they'll be fine. Having Peavy in the mix was a bonus, not a necessity. Of course, this entire argument is predicated on us getting another bat to fill the void, but whatever.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 08:46 AM)
In the playoffs all you need is a solid 1-2-3 and you can probably get by pitching only those guys for the entire run. As long as Floyd-Danks-Buerhrle stay on track and the Garcia and Hudson don't implode they'll be fine. Having Peavy in the mix was a bonus, not a necessity. Of course, this entire argument is predicated on us getting another bat to fill the void, but whatever.

Last year's playoff schedule was a joke, and you're right, all you needed was 3 starters, if that. They supposedly have tweaked that this year. Peavy is a huge loss, but if Garcia holds up, the Sox could get away with it if they make the playoffs especially if the bullpen comes through. Some more offense would help.

Angels Trade Joe Saunders

By Zach Links [July 25 at 5:19pm CST]

The Angels have acquired Dan Haren from Arizona, according to Andrew Baggarly of the Mercury News (via Twitter). Arizona will receive Joe Saunders, Patrick Corbin, Rafael Rodriguez, and a player to be named later in return.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
Angels Trade Joe Saunders

By Zach Links [July 25 at 5:19pm CST]

The Angels have acquired Dan Haren from Arizona, according to Andrew Baggarly of the Mercury News (via Twitter). Arizona will receive Joe Saunders, Patrick Corbin, Rafael Rodriguez, and a player to be named later in return.

Saunders? Seriously.

Rodriguez is a 25 year old RH relief pitcher. He's shown some decent seasons in the minors and has been bouncing up and down this year as they've played around with Wood. Patrick Corbin is a 20 year old starter with an 13-3 record for 2 of the Angels A ball teams this year.

I think Corbin might be some quality, he's young and putting up decent numbers for that level.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)

Actually I would see this as a huge blow to the Twins and the Tigers as another Ace is off the market, so they have to fight over fewer quality available pitchers. Besides Lilly and Oswalt, there is not much left in the pool and plenty of teams like the Yankees and Phillies who are willing to spend whatever is necessary to compete

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 07:29 PM)
the Phillies who are willing to spend whatever is necessary to compete

Really? Then why'd they trade Lee in the first place? Why would they be thinking about trading Werth?

The Phillies are right up against their spending limits, and they have to be disappointed with their return in the Lee deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 06:30 PM)
Really? Then why'd they trade Lee in the first place? Why would they be thinking about trading Werth?

The Phillies are right up against their spending limits, and they have to be disappointed with their return in the Lee deal.

They traded Lee because they didnt have the prospects necessary to get Halladay.

They are still trying to pull Oswalt out of Houston and are mentioned in plenty of trade rumors. They are trying to get value for Werth because they feel he is going to be asking for a large contract after the past couple years. And while they may be disappointed in their return, it is still Roy Halladay, they still got an ace

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 06:35 PM)
Sounds like T. Skaggs will be the PTBNL

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing. I should have said in the game thread that Conger just made the most sense to me because he's on the DL. It was purely speculation on my part.