Dan Haren traded to the Angels

macsandz

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2007: ARZ turns Chris Carter, Brett Anderson, Aaron Cunningham, Dana Eveland, Carlos Gonzalez and Greg Smith into Dan Haren and Connor Robertson

2010: ARZ turns Dan Haren into Joe Saunders, Patrick Corbin, Rafael Rodriguez and Tyler Skaggs

Um, wow.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 06:34 PM)
They traded Lee because they didnt have the prospects necessary to get Halladay.

The prospects they traded for Doc were all from the Phillies farm system. The Lee deal was cost + trying to restock the farm after getting Doc.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 07:00 PM)
2007: ARZ turns Chris Carter, Brett Anderson, Aaron Cunningham, Dana Eveland, Carlos Gonzalez and Greg Smith into Dan Haren and Connor Robertson

2010: ARZ turns Dan Haren into Joe Saunders, Patrick Corbin, Rafael Rodriguez and Tyler Skaggs

Um, wow.

That is 1000000000 times worse than the Swisher trades.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 07:49 PM)
Great move by the Halos, although they get a ton of Haren's salary on their books now. Have no idea what the Diamondbacks were thinking of not asking for a better quality of prospects than what they received.

$41 million in 3 years for a dominant starter is far from overpaying.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 07:52 PM)
$41 million in 3 years for a dominant starter is far from overpaying.

No kidding. In Haren/Weaver/Santana, the Angels now have a trio that rivals any in the AL at least through 2012 under control at more than a reasonable cost.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
Not saying that it was at all possible, but I would much rather have Haren at that money than Peavey at his salary, and IMO our package for Peavey was better than what DBacks got.

Oh definitely.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 08:01 PM)
No kidding. In Haren/Weaver/Santana, the Angels now have a trio that rivals any in the AL at least through 2012 under control at more than a reasonable cost.

I don't know if they can make the playoffs this year, but they'll be really dangerous going into 2011. Really reminds me of the Peavy trade last year and my thought process about it.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
When Hudson wins 17 games in a season, we'll talk.

He won 33 games in 08 and 09 with a ERA of 3.98 and an FIP of 4.8. He got really lucky in 2008 with a low BABIP, but he got exposed last year and is getting even more exposed this year.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 04:44 AM)
There was talk on Sunday Night Baseball that the Angels traded for Haren so they could now move him to another team in exchange for a bat. Since Haren is signed til 2012, I don't think thats the case, but just throwing it out there.

That was Bobby Valentine that said that....and he's a moron. Angels did this move not only for this season, but for the next few years.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 12:15 AM)
Heyman is the worst baseball writer out there. For proof, just check out his Hall of Fame ballot this year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...hall/index.html

Preaching to the choir, he's f***ing brutal. He's also one of these National Writers that uses the term "top prospects" for every f***ing trade that goes down. Nightengale did it for the Cliff Lee trade (describing the prospects that WEREN'T Smoak) and Heyman did it today describing the 2 guys that we 100% knew were included in the deal along with Saunders. From what I understand none of those 5 players involved in those trades are what anyone would call "top" prospects. Believe it not, Jon/Bob but not every minor league ballplayer is a "TOP" prospect, this distinction is reserved for the very best prospects in a given farm system.

As the days go by I'm appreciating Jeff Passan more and more, who described today's trade thusly:

The Angels depantsed the Arizona Diamondbacks. They stole Dan Haren(notes) in a trade and left the directionless D’backs naked and with nowhere to hide.

A-f***in'-men Jeff. As a pretty big fan of Dan Haren I can't even put into words how much this trade upsets me; that he was basically given away in a salary dump when he's still one of the very best starting pitchers in the game and is under team control at a reasonable price through 2013.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 01:23 AM)
When Hudson wins 17 games in a season, we'll talk.

Wins are not an effective measure of a pitcher. That said this trade pretty much starts off Dipoti or howeveer you spell it as the worst gm out there. What an awful package for such a valuable player.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 02:52 AM)
Wins are not an effective measure of a pitcher. That said this trade pretty much starts off Dipoti or howeveer you spell it as the worst gm out there. What an awful package for such a valuable player.

It's entirely possible that their scouts may be telling them that Corbin and their PTBNL are within a year or two going to be tearing it up in the big leagues and that they just robbed the Angels blind. The Marlins have gotten away with making trades like that for years, and have been effective at it because their scouts keep nailing things. The Dodgers pulled off a fast one like that stealing that Ethier kid from the A's in a Milton bradley dump based on the word of one of their scouts.

That said...if you're going to do that kind of move with a guy like Haren...you're putting your job on the line based on the reports about the prospects you're getting. If any of them bust, you ought to be fired.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
This is highway robbery. I can't believe that's all Arizona got.

Saunders is a guy who has produced at the big league level, is still cheap, and has been pitching quite good since May (sub 4 ERA). He isn't near as good as Haren, but Haren hasn't exactly been kicking ass this season, is owed money, and has been over-worked the past few seasons.

The Dbacks got a pretty good prospect in Corbin and Skaggs is pretty damn legit (PTBNL). Skaggs was a 1st round pick last year where as Corbin was a 2nd rounder last year. Skaggs has a whole lot of upside.

So the Dbacks got a quality left handed big league starter and two of the Angels best pitching prospects, both lefties. That isn't that bad of a package. They also saved 33M in cash.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 06:04 PM)
Not saying that it was at all possible, but I would much rather have Haren at that money than Peavey at his salary, and IMO our package for Peavey was better than what DBacks got.

Bulls***. None of the guys we gave up was the caliber of prospect Skaggs was and Saunders was a whole lot better and more proven than Richard.

That package the Angels gave up is far larger than the one the Sox gave up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 06:22 AM)
It's entirely possible that their scouts may be telling them that Corbin and their PTBNL are within a year or two going to be tearing it up in the big leagues and that they just robbed the Angels blind. The Marlins have gotten away with making trades like that for years, and have been effective at it because their scouts keep nailing things. The Dodgers pulled off a fast one like that stealing that Ethier kid from the A's in a Milton bradley dump based on the word of one of their scouts.

That said...if you're going to do that kind of move with a guy like Haren...you're putting your job on the line based on the reports about the prospects you're getting. If any of them bust, you ought to be fired.

Skaggs and Corbin are well thought of in the Angels system.

And I'm not saying this wasn't a great trade for the Angels. I like it for them, but I also don't think this is the pure highway robbery that some of you are stating. If there were far better offers on the table, I'm pretty sure the Dbacks would have taken those offers.