Texas Republicans: Missionary or Else

Quin

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2010/06/22...p_clubs_an.html

The Texas Republican Party gives a whole new meaning to the word conservative.

The GOP there has voted on a platform that would ban oral and anal sex. It also would give jail sentences to anyone who issues a marriage license to a same-sex couple (even though such licenses are already invalid in the state).

“We oppose the legalization of sodomy,” the platform says. “We demand that Congress exercise its authority granted by the U.S. Constitution to withhold jurisdiction from the federal courts from cases involving sodomy.”

The Lone Star state initially passed a law barring sodomy in 1860. Violators faced anywhere from five to 15 years in prison. The ban was overturned in 2003.

No cornholing.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 08:29 AM)
Ugh. These people need to be taken out back and dealt with Old Yeller style. Or come up with a new party name. They are NOT Republicans. They're ass-backwards retards.

(please no one say, "there is! They're the Tea Party.")

But...but...gay buttsex will destroy us all...

The exchange between Rex and 2K5 was pretty awesome. It went something like:

Rex: (posts link, summary) "these people say they want small government when in reality they want government literally up the ass"

2K5: "no, they want it out of the ass, thank you very much"

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 17, 2010 -> 04:35 PM)
The exchange between Rex and 2K5 was pretty awesome. It went something like:

Rex: (posts link, summary) "these people say they want small government when in reality they want government literally up the ass"

2K5: "no, they want it out of the ass, thank you very much"

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

That is greatness.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 08:47 PM)
I'm in a growing corner of Texas that is about 90% Democrat thank you very much.

Hey, it says Texas Republicans.

And the fact that such a place in Texas exists baffles the mind.

Whenever the religious element of the right pops its head up and tries to do crap like this, or push creationism only in schools, mandatory prayer in schools or just try to interfere in the bedroom at all, it just pisses me off as it really turns off the average middle of the road voter. Most people dont want religion infringed upon, but they don't want it thrown in their faces either. When crap like this happens, never sure if it is two steps forward and one step back, or one step forward and two steps back.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 09:04 PM)
Hey, it says Texas Republicans.

And the fact that such a place in Texas exists baffles the mind.

A Democratic Texas? All over the border region and the cities. As the GOP starts losing their more moderate members, a Dem will have a chance.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 07:31 AM)
A Democratic Texas? All over the border region and the cities. As the GOP starts losing their more moderate members, a Dem will have a chance.

Which is why the Tea Party movement scares the s*** out of the Democrats as it caters to those exact middle GOPers who don't want the government in their wallet or in their bedroom.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 10:26 AM)
Which is why the Tea Party movement scares the s*** out of the Democrats as it caters to those exact middle GOPers who don't want the government in their wallet or in their bedroom.

The tea party caters to moderates.

:lolhitting

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 09:26 AM)

true

Balta, I don't know much (if anything) about the tea party, but you just posting "lol" twice to 2k5 saying it appeals to moderates rather than pointing out actual reasons why what he says is false kind of makes me wonder if he has a point.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Tea Party doesn't necessarily cater to "moderates" - they cater to people who actually want protection of individual freedoms. Not just the kinds the GOP harps on, or just the kinds that the Dems harp on - but instead siding with individual freedom on all 10 amendments in the Bill of Rights.

Now, unfortunately, because that movement will tend to oppose Obama and attract those angry with the present state of things, the party will ALSO attract some crazies, mostly of the right wing variety. That is the real problem that Tea Partiers will have to contend with.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 01:02 PM)
Balta, I don't know much (if anything) about the tea party, but you just posting "lol" twice to 2k5 saying it appeals to moderates rather than pointing out actual reasons why what he says is false kind of makes me wonder if he has a point.

In the early 90's, one Republican counterpoint to the Clinton proposal for an employer-mandate universal healthcare plan was an individual mandate. If Bill Clinton had flipflopped and supported an individual mandate and put out a draft of the evil Obamacare bill then and there, he probably would have gotten 70-80% of the Congress to vote for it.

If Barack Obama right now pushed hard for exactly the same sort of immigration reform bill that George W. Bush was negotiating for in 2007, he'd be lucky to get 50 votes in the Senate. George W. could have passed an immigration reform bill with 60-70 Senate votes if he'd wanted, but they didn't want to go ahead without unity amongst the Republicans. That was barely a couple years ago. Now, even guys who wrote bills allowing for comprehensive immigration reform (i.e. McCain) have to vehemently denounce their own bills otherwise they're tossed out by a tea party primary.

The tea party caters to moderates? The only way that's true is if a moderate right now was a 1990's era Pat Buchanan.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 01:30 PM)
Tea Party doesn't necessarily cater to "moderates" - they cater to people who actually want protection of individual freedoms. Not just the kinds the GOP harps on, or just the kinds that the Dems harp on - but instead siding with individual freedom on all 10 amendments in the Bill of Rights.

Now, unfortunately, because that movement will tend to oppose Obama and attract those angry with the present state of things, the party will ALSO attract some crazies, mostly of the right wing variety. That is the real problem that Tea Partiers will have to contend with.

Really? All 10 amendments? Like, for example, you think they'd have no problem with freedom of religion for non-Christians?

That's the kind of belief that I think needs to be refudiated.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 12:55 PM)
Really? All 10 amendments? Like, for example, you think they'd have no problem with freedom of religion for non-Christians?

That's the kind of belief that I think needs to be refudiated.

I said Tea Partiers, not Sarah Palin. Palin is in many ways the opposite of what the Tea Party activists have wanted, but she glommed on when she saw the media exposure it could buy her. She doesn't want individual freedoms, she wants some sort of retarded Stepford Wives nation.

But of course, herein lies another issue that the Tea Party will have to deal with - no clear leadership, really just a groundswell of similarly minded people speaking out, which was then sort of taken over by the likes of Palin and Bachman for their own gain. They've been co-opted.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 19, 2010 -> 02:02 PM)
I said Tea Partiers, not Sarah Palin. Palin is in many ways the opposite of what the Tea Party activists have wanted, but she glommed on when she saw the media exposure it could buy her. She doesn't want individual freedoms, she wants some sort of retarded Stepford Wives nation.

But of course, herein lies another issue that the Tea Party will have to deal with - no clear leadership, really just a groundswell of similarly minded people speaking out, which was then sort of taken over by the likes of Palin and Bachman for their own gain. They've been co-opted.

Speaking from TN, the tea party here is riled up over a similar evil effort to build a Mosque in a Nashville suburb.

You're not going to agree with me but I'm going to say it anyway. The tea party is no different from any "Republican revival" we've seen in the last couple decades. They're 80% Republicans, the other 20% are Republicans in spirit who want to call themselves independents. They get mad when a Demycrat increases the budget deficit, but not when a Republican does it. They're fine with taking away anyone else's rights but their own (see: SB 1070). They're simply the activist portion of the Republican party. But they've had 8 years where their guy has been in power, so they're a new force in that it's ok if a Republican does those things.

It's as if I started saying in 2003 that we needed to pay attention to this vibrant new anti-war movement and it must represent a totally new and unique strain of American politics. No it wasn't. It was the activist portion of the left doing what it would do if Obama started campaigning for a new war. Hell, I could make a case that the anti-war marches were vastly more cosmopolitan than the Tea Party (they had guys like Crazy Pat Buchanan and Jon Hostetler on their side, name a Demycrat teapartier).