Buehrle: 10 Years of Excellence

flavum

I just wanted to point out Mark Buehrle was called up to the Sox 10 years ago today.

There has been some rough patches over the years, but overall it's been great to witness:

143 wins

2 no-hitters, incl. a perfect game

3 division titles

1 World Series win incl. the Game 3 save

Thanks for 10 years, #56.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 09:11 AM)
I just wanted to point out Mark Buehrle was called up to the Sox 10 years ago today.

There has been some rough patches over the years, but overall it's been great to witness:

143 wins

3 division titles

If there was a "Like" button I would "Like" this post

It's been a pleasure to have him on this team. When he retires the Sox should retire his number and give him a statue.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 09:25 AM)
When he retires the Sox should retire his number and give him a statue.

I really don't think there's any question about whether or not that will happen. Only thing that might prevent that is him deciding to pitch long enough that they wind up building a new ballpark first.

Mark is one of the great examples of players succeeding despite long odds. Drafted in the 38th round (1139th overall) out of a community college, makes it to the majors in less than two years, and wins more games in the current decade then almost any other pitcher in baseball. Awesome.

With every great player (and yes, I consider Mark a great player) there will be rough patches. MArk's rough patches have been few and short-lived. Above him being a very good pitcher, he's even a better guy and teammate...at least from what we know. I met him once before a game (along with a bunch of other people clammoring for autographs), and he was patient and made a point to say hi and sign everyone's hats, balls, tickets, etc. I'd like to see him pitch for the Sox until he's ready to retire. And I totally agree with the statue.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 08:11 AM)

143 wins

3 division titles

He didn't get a W in the WS :)

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 08:30 AM)
Mark is one of the great examples of players succeeding despite long odds. Drafted in the 38th round (1139th overall) out of a community college, makes it to the majors in less than two years, and wins more games in the current decade then almost any other pitcher in baseball. Awesome.

I'd like to think the HoF would lower the standards since the 300 game winner is near done (oddly enough, Buehrle probably has the best chance of all pitchers active to get it still, because he's not a power pitcher and a workhorse. If only he didn't think of hanging it up) and Buehrle would get in with 2 or 3 more All-Star games.

I think he and Paulie will both retire Sox and have numbers retired and statues.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 10:21 AM)
I'd like to think the HoF would lower the standards since the 300 game winner is near done (oddly enough, Buehrle probably has the best chance of all pitchers active to get it still, because he's not a power pitcher and a workhorse. If only he didn't think of hanging it up) and Buehrle would get in with 2 or 3 more All-Star games.

I think he and Paulie will both retire Sox and have numbers retired and statues.

If MB pitches another decade or so at this pace (or until he's 40-ish), gets another few trophies of one kind or another (GG, WS, All Star), he's got a good shot. If he adds a Cy Young somewhere in there, he's probably going to make it. But anything less than that, he's a long shot at best.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)
If MB pitches another decade or so at this pace (or until he's 40-ish), gets another few trophies of one kind or another (GG, WS, All Star), he's got a good shot. If he adds a Cy Young somewhere in there, he's probably going to make it. But anything less than that, he's a long shot at best.

God I hope he does.

He already has another GG due to the opening day play / law of repeat.

All-Star might be attainable, and hopefully he adds a WS this year.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)
God I hope he does.

He already has another GG due to the opening day play / law of repeat.

All-Star might be attainable, and hopefully he adds a WS this year.

His opening day play won him the GG this year (which is incredibly stupid, but he's a deserving choice anyways) and he could very well win several more, but I don't see him ever winning a CY. Another ASG or two are possible but unlikely (more likely if he ever goes to the NL). I'd love to see him in the HoF but I don't see it happening unless he pitches another 10-12 years, which I also don't see happening with him.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 11:39 AM)
His opening day play won him the GG this year (which is incredibly stupid, but he's a deserving choice anyways) and he could very well win several more, but I don't see him ever winning a CY. Another ASG or two are possible but unlikely (more likely if he ever goes to the NL). I'd love to see him in the HoF but I don't see it happening unless he pitches another 10-12 years, which I also don't see happening with him.

If Mark pitched another 10 years without injury and without severe loss in performance, I think he'd get there. None of us know if he wants to do that though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
If Mark pitched another 10 years without injury and without severe loss in performance, I think he'd get there. None of us know if he wants to do that though.

Jamie says he's BSing.

His stuff is already fading. Honestly I don't see him as a White Sox after 2011 unless he takes a major paycut.

Gotta love his attitude too...

After the ESPYs

Left-hander Mark Buehrle didn't win the ESPY award for ''Best Play'' on Wednesday night, but he didn't seem to mind losing out to the Minnesota Vikings' Brett Favre and Greg Lewis.

Buehrle was nominated for his spectacular between-the-legs flip to first base during the Sox' victory on Opening Day.

''I didn't want to win because I didn't want to talk in front of that many people, but it could be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to win something like that,'' Buehrle said.

''In the long run, I would have liked to get out there and have that trophy in my house, just to put it up, but at least I got nominated and got beat by Brett Favre.''

With that play on opening day, plus the fact that Gold Gloves are automatic once you get your first, I'm sure he's a shoo-in for this year's award.