The last time the Sox didn't have a chance late....

When was the last time we lost with no real shot at winning or tying late in the game? We had a chance in the 9th tonight, our last previous loss (7/3 vs. Texas), we had the tying run at the plate in the 9th with 1 out. The loss prior to that was 6/30 vs. Royals and we lost by 1 run. The loss before that was vs. the Royals on the 28th of June and we had bases loaded with 1 out, tying run on 2nd base. The loss before that was the against the Cubs when we lost 1-0 to Lilly, and had the tying run on 3rd with 1 out. The loss before that was on June 8th when we lost 7-2 to Tigers.

June 8th (the day before we started our insane run of 26 wins in 32 games) was the last game that the Sox did not have the tying run at the plate, late in the game. WOW.

There is really no quit in this team right now. As pissed as I was last night that they lost, I just thought to myself "Well, they were in position to win, and they couldnt do it. Oh well, next game".

2 months ago I would have been thinking about how the next 3 series were guaranteed losses

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2010 -> 02:36 PM)
If Konerko had sat on the first pitch fastball, the game would have been tied at least.

Rios hit the first pitcxh and flied out, Paulie probbaly thought he wasn't going to get anything good that first pitch and laid off. The at bats to Rios and Konerko went pretty fact - 4 pitches is all. Kind of sad, but today is a new game and I think even in a lose it bodes well as the offense is still performing

Edited by elrockinMT

If the pitcher threw the ball right down the middle first pitch every time, I would think I would want my hitters swinging at that pitch every time.

And I agree with what Milkman said, it just seems to me like I am always watching Konerko take first pitch strike right down the middle. I know it isn't always, but it sure seems like it.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 17, 2010 -> 09:44 AM)
That's always been one of my complaints about Konerko. He'll take that first pitch right down the middle, and it seems like he gets it all the time.

One particularly famous exception doesn't override this general rule of course, but I couldn't help read this post, think of WSGame 2, and smile.

PK has quite a few memorable home runs on first pitch fastballs. There's obviously the greatest play in Sox history. Last month, he hit a game winner in the 8th off of Saito on the first pitch. It's simple, Konerko didn't want to make two straight outs on two pitches against a new pitcher. Hard to blame him.

And in Saturday's loss, we had the tying run on 2nd base with 0 outs in the 9th.

As hot as we've been, I thought we had the Twins where we wanted 'em.

That's the disappointing thing about this game. It would have been nice to come back against the Twins. We're down 1-2 to the Thomies this series and they ain't got Morneau. Losing 3 of 4 would really be bad, even though we're on the road. As hot as we've been and as how s***ty they were before the break, this would be very disappointing start to the second half.

A split would be fine. I've got a sneaky feeling we gonna get beat like 9-4 tomorrow.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 02:57 AM)
As hot as we've been, I thought we had the Twins where we wanted 'em.

That's the disappointing thing about this game. It would have been nice to come back against the Twins. We're down 1-2 to the Thomies this series and they ain't got Morneau. Losing 3 of 4 would really be bad, even though we're on the road. As hot as we've been and as how s***ty they were before the break, this would be very disappointing start to the second half.

A split would be fine. I've got a sneaky feeling we gonna get beat like 9-4 tomorrow.

I was really hoping we would've won the Floyd game, Pavano has been very good this season. Mark pitched a good game besides the 2nd inning. With that said I think we're gonna win today and hit Blackburn around like his ERA shows, split the series.