Promote Morel for better defense

macsandz

It was an ugly error, no question, but it was just an error and errors happen. Our HOF inductee, Vizquel, had a couple errors last week. Obviously, Viciedo is not an HOF infielder, so don't acuse me of saying that. I'm just saying that errors will happen and it shouldn't be an excuse to then throw batting practice to the other team. It also isn't enough, in my opinion, to give up on the guy.

It may well be that Viciedo will develop more efficiently in Charlotte, playing every day, though, and Lillibridge is an asset right now. As was noted above, Jones and Kotsay are here for good, rightly or wrongly.

Now, I'm not gonna act like I'm an expert on Rockin Robin, because quite frankly, I was too young to know how he was when he first came up, but from what I've heard, he was awful at 3B when he first came up... but he eventually became a stud at the hot corner.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jul 17, 2010 -> 06:10 PM)
JoeCoolMan i've respected your contributions in the past, but PK even in a career year has wayyy more value here than what he can garner as a rental elsewhere in trade

I was trying to hurry and get a post off before I went to work, so I clearly didn't say it right.....

I meant to say the only way that we promote Morel to our club this year is if Kenny grows some big balls and trades Konerko and Teahen for a good OF (thus, Viciedo would move to 1B, and Morel wouldn't be behind Teahen, and Quentin would become the DH with the OF acquistion playing OF).

I am probably one of the biggest Morel fans around here, but even I think he should continue to get work in at AAA and Viciedo has (so far) earned the right to play 3B.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

why do people keep asking "who goes down when Teahen comes back?"

it's OBVIOUS it's Viciedo, if only for the simple fact that he can only truly play one position, and Ozzie would rather have Lillibridge's versatility off the bench than Viciedo's lead glove and all or nothing swing at this point

keep in mind, Viciedo is only 21 years old, he isn't MLB ready

Real, it's cocky of you to say it's OBVIOUS it's Viciedo.

I think a lot of people right at the all star break were really excited about the pop he brings to our lineup potentially.

I'd send Lilly down. I'm still not a Lilly believer. We need Viciedo's pop.

I think Bridge has a little bit of trade value right now; he hits every ball pretty hard. Would love to send him somewhere so we don't have to waste any more time finding out if he's turned a corner. But then again part of me wants him here during the stretch as a pinch runner if nothing else. I don't know what to think anymore honestly; we have too many players that should be getting atbats right now. I guess that's a good thing.

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 17, 2010 -> 11:39 PM)
why do people keep asking "who goes down when Teahen comes back?"

it's OBVIOUS it's Viciedo, if only for the simple fact that he can only truly play one position, and Ozzie would rather have Lillibridge's versatility off the bench than Viciedo's lead glove and all or nothing swing at this point

keep in mind, Viciedo is only 21 years old, he isn't MLB ready

If he can only truly play one position, Teahen can't play any.

Let's see:

Option A: DFA Andruw Jones, use Lilli as backup OF

Option B: DFA Kotsay, use Teahen as DH/1B

Option C: Send down Dayan, continue with Andruw/Kotsay

Option D: Send down Lilli, Omar is your pinch runner.

Quite frankly, Kotsay makes the most sense.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 17, 2010 -> 10:39 PM)
Ranger picked a good night to come back. Read the end of the game thread for some hilarity regarding Paulie.

Yeah, I don't think I can handle game threads. I only have a certain threshold for pain.

BTW, I hope there's some serious goodness in that thread criticizing Ozzie for not asking the umpires to check Pavano's person for a foreign substance. Because, ya know, clearly he was throwing a spitball. I seriously had to explain on the show tonight -- at least twice -- why a Major League manager shouldn't cause a scene by accusing opposing pitchers of doctoring the baseball, unless they had some pretty damn good proof.

Good stuff.

I've heard the postgame show on the Internet and I especially love the calls where they want the Sox to acquire something incredible for Linebrink or the package of Linebrink/Teahen. Les also has gotten that call on the late late show.

Edited by greg775

What the Minny series has shown is how important solid, above average defense is for the Sox. Viceido won't be playing above avg defense anytime soon. Morel, on the other hand, might be able to. If a young guy comes up, he has to be able to play major league ready defense. Long term, Dayan looks like a DH--even 1b needs very good defense, which PK has given this year, with his picks on bad throws and stopping anything that is hit at him.

Teahen also isn't the answer at 3b. His defense is average at best. While no team would acquire him as he's not healthy, a deal could be struck in Aug. as he's likely to clear waivers. I would expect him to be dealt in the offseason though. Morel looks to be ready to start in the bigs next year if not see time in Sept.

Theoretically, if Morel can put up a 700-725 OPS, they can live with that.

But they've got to be getting a lot of offensive output from Viciedo, Flowers/AJ, Beckham, Ramirez, Quentin, Rios, etc.

The easiest solution is Teahen at 1B, Viciedo at DH and Morel at 3B (for the future), but that puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the rest of the offense because you expect to get a lot more pop from those two corner spots.

You also would like to give Viciedo time to at least try to develop into an adequate 1B, we all know he has a very strong arm (but his height, not being LH, his ability to dig balls out of the dirt or athleticism in leaping for the ball, there are quite a few question marks)...ultimately, they might decide LF is the final destination, that he needs to be playing the field everyday to stay focused on the game, I'm not sure.

Obviously, we seem to have Pierre as our leadoff man into 2011, but things have a way of changing quickly in baseball (as we've seen the last 2 months).

Edited by caulfield12

The other thing is that our prospects, unlike Robin Ventura, haven't been allowed to develop in low-pressure situations.

All those guys in the late 80's, they weren't expected to do anything or win...it was just developmental/transition time for the ballclub.

If nothing else, that has really hampered the development of players like Borchard, Fields, Getz, Owens, Anderson, etc. They simply cannot afford for Dayan to learn how to play 3B "on the job" when every game could be the difference between making the playoffs or not.

Some will argue those guys might never have become big leaguers, since they also failed with other organizations or are in the process of failing.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 11:16 AM)
All you need to know about Viciedo and 3B is the White Sox moved him to first. I really doubt they have any illusions he'll be anything but poor there, but he's not up for his glove.

There was a lot to that decision though. They thought his bat would be ready before his glove would be ready at 3rd, and holding back an expensive guy in the minors to work on his glove isn't a very good move. On top of that, Teahen and Morel have possible roles at 3b.

If nothing else, he has a really good throwing arm for a 3b, which you can't teach. The other stuff...reactions and non-bad moves, can be taught.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jul 17, 2010 -> 03:33 PM)
Kenny should grow a huge pair of balls and trade Konerko and Teahen at the deadline a good OF.

I can see where you're coming from. Everybody always says get rid of so and so when they suck and value is low. Konerko isn't getting any younger and his value is very high right now but I know you want Viciedo at first and that is in no way acceptable for a contending team.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 01:36 PM)
I can see where you're coming from. Everybody always says get rid of so and so when they suck and value is low. Konerko isn't getting any younger and his value is very high right now but I know you want Viciedo at first and that is in no way acceptable for a contending team.

I made an amendment post a page later to "explain myself".....

I was trying to hurry and get a post off before I went to work, so I clearly didn't say it right.....

I meant to say the only way that we promote Morel to our club this year is if Kenny grows some big balls and trades Konerko and Teahen for a good OF (thus, Viciedo would move to 1B, and Morel wouldn't be behind Teahen, and Quentin would become the DH with the OF acquistion playing OF).

I am probably one of the biggest Morel fans around here, but even I think he should continue to get work in at AAA and Viciedo has (so far) earned the right to play 3B.

I saw the name of this thread and my gut reaction was...not now. Morel was just promoted to AAA and it took him a couple of weeks to get comfortable at the plate.

If the Sox were out of the playoff race, then I could see promoting Morel for 3rd, shifting Viciedo to 1st and either trading Quentin or Konerko, whichever one stays assumes the DH position. But, the Sox are still in 1st so I would let Morel continue to gain experience in AAA.

Just wondering...why does Ozzie insist on giving Kotsay ABs, and Viciedo sit? Really, would we be losing more with Viciedo at DH than Kotsay?

QUOTE (OilCan @ Jul 18, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)
Just wondering...why does Ozzie insist on giving Kotsay ABs, and Viciedo sit? Really, would we be losing more with Viciedo at DH than Kotsay?

Once you're one of Ozzie's guys, it doesn't matter what you do, you keep your AB's.