Putz for Closer

Quin

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
I agree, I see no problem with using Putz & Thornton or even Jenks depending on the situation. The most recent CBC this year was the Orioles, and that failed cause their best reliever was Will f***ing Ohman. It can work with good relievers.

Alfredo Simon has been pretty decent.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)
Alfredo Simon has been pretty decent.

Yeah, he has kinda taken over the role recently but they were a mess for a while when Gonzalez first got hurt. A closer by committe rarely has pitchers has good as the Sox have, so I think it can work though.

Jenks "Irritated" that People are Upset Over His Closing!

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

The problem is that Jenks doesn't think he has a problem!

"I've been the closer for this team, this is my sixth year closing," Jenks said before Friday night's game against the Oakland A's. "I shouldn't have to go out there and prove myself over and over again. I think I've done that, and it looks like I'm going to have to do it again."

Jenks said he's taking Guillen's decision as a challenge, albeit irritating.

"It's both," Jenks said. "I don't want to really overstep my boundaries as far as manager-player goes. Even Mariano [Rivera] had a couple bad games in a row. In my case, I just go out there and when I get the ball, I go out there and do my job. That's all I can do."

I love Bobby Jenks' comments. Perhaps it's time to ship him to another team and let him close for them. I am of the opinion the Phils or somebody would welcome him. We have Putz and Thornton so we could afford trading him for a bat. That clip of his strikeout of Thome was nice, as well.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 01:17 AM)
Jenks "Irritated" that People are Upset Over His Closing!

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

The problem is that Jenks doesn't think he has a problem!

"I've been the closer for this team, this is my sixth year closing," Jenks said before Friday night's game against the Oakland A's. "I shouldn't have to go out there and prove myself over and over again. I think I've done that, and it looks like I'm going to have to do it again."

Jenks said he's taking Guillen's decision as a challenge, albeit irritating.

"It's both," Jenks said. "I don't want to really overstep my boundaries as far as manager-player goes. Even Mariano [Rivera] had a couple bad games in a row. In my case, I just go out there and when I get the ball, I go out there and do my job. That's all I can do."

Sounds like the words of an alcoholic. He's in denial.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 08:17 AM)
Sounds like the words of an alcoholic. He's in denial.

That's the problem.

Since he sobered up, he's sucked compared to Bobby of old.

Just drink a beer Bobby!

Sooooooo Bobby doesnt realize that you have to prove yourself over and over again ALL THE TIME in sports and if you dont you will be demoted or let go/traded ? Its really simple and its a cut throat business. Get over and start producing and this will not be a problem.

This reminds me of when Wise said "keep booing me" last year while striking out in like half of his at-bats.

I like when players fight back in a reasonable manner like this. Wise would probably have been wise to shut up since he didn't have a track record, but I can see why he'd be pissed. Jenks, who has closed for six years, has every right to tell people in a calm, non Zambrano-type way, that it's pretty s***ty that he always has to prove himself.

Still it all boils down to the same thing, Just Win Baby. The only way a closer can shut people up is to get every save. That shuts everybody up. Maybe blow one a month or something but no more than that.

Players always have to prove themselves, and when you've pitched as poorly as Jenks has, having to prove yourself makes quite a bit of sense. Jenks has never pitched this poorly in his career, so it would be in his best interest to get back to doing his job.

I really don't think Sox fans were booing Wise because he was bad, they were booing during Wise's ABs at management for even allowing Wise to be in that spot.