All this talk of Werth

Knackattack

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 10:22 PM)
Makes me interested. Werth in RF, Q! to DH?

It'd be awesome, but from what I've read, they are dangling Werth to the team who can offer them the best SP. Unless they REALLY liked Hudson, I don't see a fit.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)
I think Bobby Jenks would be somebody they would like.

They can probably find guys on the waiver wire or DFA candidates who are just as effective. Hell, they can probably attempt to pick up Jenks off the waiver wire in a couple weeks.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 09:24 AM)
They can probably find guys on the waiver wire or DFA candidates who are just as effective. Hell, they can probably attempt to pick up Jenks off the waiver wire in a couple weeks.

As bad as Bobby is sometimes, he's still more consistent than Brad Lidge, who is currently their best option out of the pen.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 10:32 AM)
As bad as Bobby is sometimes, he's still more consistent than Brad Lidge, who is currently their best option out of the pen.

And if they're going to trade for someone, they can do better than Jenks without really trying. Hell, Dotel would be a better option.

They can sit there and wait for the waiver wire reports if they just want to add someone who's struggling and overpaid.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 10:41 AM)
Maybe they'd be interested in Putz. Not that I want to get rid of him, but I really want Werth.

Now that's a starting point of a deal that I'd seriously consider if I were the Phils and I still thought I had a run in me this year.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 09:41 AM)
Maybe they'd be interested in Putz. Not that I want to get rid of him, but I really want Werth.

I'd do Putz + prospects not named Dan Hudson for Werth.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 10:42 AM)
I'd do Putz + prospects not named Dan Hudson for Werth.

I can't really forsee the Phils having interest in anyone in our system other than Hudson. They need a RH power bat to replace Werth so Viciedo at least is that...but they have no opening at 1b and I doubt they'd want to plug him in at 3b in their IF.

There were indications Tuesday the Philadelphia Phillies were working on a major deal to acquire a starting pitcher in an attempt to save a season that has veered in the wrong direction this month.

The Phillies will need a starting pitcher for Saturday, since they sent Monday's starter Kyle Kendrick back to the minor leagues on Tuesday. Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr., who is with the club in St. Louis, hinted strongly to reporters that the Phillies could acquire a pitcher from outside the organization to make that start.

On the pitching front, the Phillies have discussed deals involving a number of starters. They've talked about Arizona's Dan Haren, Baltimore's Jeremy Guthrie and Oakland's Ben Sheets, among others. But there were indications they've spent a lot of time in recent days exploring a trade for Astros ace Roy Oswalt.

The club might also need a starter for Sunday now, as well, because the tentative pitcher that day, Jamie Moyer, left his start Tuesday after one inning with what was described as a left elbow strain.

At the same time, they were also discussing a companion trade that would move outfielder Jayson Werth to free up money, open a spot for top prospect Domonic Brown and replenish their prospect supply. The Phillies have talked to multiple teams about Werth, but a source indicated Tuesday night that Tampa Bay appears to head the list of interested teams.

...While there was no indication the players in any potential trade have been agreed to, the Phillies have shopped last year's rookie-of-the-year runner-up, J.A. Happ, who is currently pitching in Triple-A to work his way back from a forearm strain.

Werth, meanwhile, has slumped badly over the last month. One club that spoke with the Phillies said the Phillies' efforts to trade him have been "growing" in recent days. Among the clubs thought to be interested in him in addition to Tampa Bay: the Red Sox, Giants and Padres. Werth can become a free agent after this season, and the Phillies appear to have just about given up hope that they can re-sign him.

Link

Right now I think we might be best served dangling no one other than Viciedo. The Sox have a few young players that will actually be able to help this team in key areas. Beckham is one, Hudson is another. And than we have guys like Mitchell who hopefully will be 1 to 2 years away and due to the injury won't be getting dangled anywhere. Add in a Sale who has the potential to be an elite reliever or potentially a good starter and I like some of the young top level prospects we have.

The reason I'd consider moving Viciedo is because he has a lot of flaws, however, offensively, the guy has the ability to be a complete stud. But again, there is the fact that he doesn't draw walks. That said, he has power to all fields and really a nice natural stroke that gives him the ability to hit for a high average with a lot of power if all goes well.

Oh and he'll be cheap for a long time.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 04:36 PM)
Right now I think we might be best served dangling no one other than Viciedo. The Sox have a few young players that will actually be able to help this team in key areas. Beckham is one, Hudson is another. And than we have guys like Mitchell who hopefully will be 1 to 2 years away and due to the injury won't be getting dangled anywhere. Add in a Sale who has the potential to be an elite reliever or potentially a good starter and I like some of the young top level prospects we have.

The reason I'd consider moving Viciedo is because he has a lot of flaws, however, offensively, the guy has the ability to be a complete stud. But again, there is the fact that he doesn't draw walks. That said, he has power to all fields and really a nice natural stroke that gives him the ability to hit for a high average with a lot of power if all goes well.

Oh and he'll be cheap for a long time.

Is Viciedo really that cheap? Not sure how his contract breaks down, but he was a $10 mil signee

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 08:50 AM)
Is Viciedo really that cheap? Not sure how his contract breaks down, but he was a $10 mil signee

He signed a major league deal for 10M over 4 years. I'd say 2.5M a season would be very very cheap.

I thought it was a 4 year, $10 million contact, with a $4 milllion signing bonus.

Have to check Cott's baseball contracts.

$4M signing bonus

09:$1M, 10:$1.25M, 11:$1.25M, 12:$2.5M

if Viciedo has enough service time to qualify for arbitration after 2011, he may void 2012 season (if voided, club may exercise option at $3.5M)

award bonuses: $15,000 for Silver Slugger; $25,000 each for Gold Glove, All Star start ($15,000 for All Star selection); $50,000 for TSN All Star; $75,000 for LCS MVP; $0.1M for WS MVP; $0.1M for MVP ($90,000 for 2nd in vote, $80,000 for 3rd, $70,000 for 4th, $60,000 for 5th)

So we've sunk $6.25 million into him already...and only have to pay him $3.75 million over the next two seasons and then arbitration for two years, like Alexei.

So he'll be VERY cheap for 2011, and still quite affordable for at least two years after that. I'm not sure, but perhaps since he didn't play on the big league roster in 09, we would theoretically have him for 3 more years after this? Four? He certainly won't reach that service time for 2009-10 to get him arbitration after next year.

My understanding with Alexei is that we'll still control his rights in 2012 and 2013, he'll just be a bit more expensive (arbitration/year to year contracts, or signed to an extension, like that Teahen deal).

Edited by caulfield12