AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

southsider2k5

Back when the Sox were struggling many of us were asking what the hell Omar was doing because we saw no improvement in Alexei's game. Now that Omar's been playing a lot (right alongside Alexei), his presence is evident. Not only does Alexei look like a Gold Glover, he makes some of those plays look easy. His range has improved dramatically, and his throws have been on a dime. Let's hope that whatever he's taken from Omar this year he keeps it up.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 06:23 AM)
Back when the Sox were struggling many of us were asking what the hell Omar was doing because we saw no improvement in Alexei's game. Now that Omar's been playing a lot (right alongside Alexei), his presence is evident. Not only does Alexei look like a Gold Glover, he makes some of those plays look easy. His range has improved dramatically, and his throws have been on a dime. Let's hope that whatever he's taken from Omar this year he keeps it up.

I am totally clueless on this one. Is it Omar's game preparation? Does he whisper secrets in his ear? I mean, really....clearly Alexei is playing great D but can anyone point to anything that Omar does on a daily basis that has helped? Seems like this can be blown out of proportion but you can't argue with results...

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 08:43 AM)
I am totally clueless on this one. Is it Omar's game preparation? Does he whisper secrets in his ear? I mean, really....clearly Alexei is playing great D but can anyone point to anything that Omar does on a daily basis that has helped? Seems like this can be blown out of proportion but you can't argue with results...

He could be working with him in practice and giving him pointers? And maybe Alexei feels more comfortable and/or confident with Vizquel there instead of someone like Teahen or Viciedo who he feels he has to try and cover for?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
He could be working with him in practice and giving him pointers? And maybe Alexei feels more comfortable and/or confident with Vizquel there instead of someone like Teahen or Viciedo who he feels he has to try and cover for?

I really think being able to trust that the 3b next to him will get what he's supposed to get and more means that alexei has been able to completely focus on what he should be doing, not what he should be doing, plus how he needs to over for 3b.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 07:15 AM)
I really think being able to trust that the 3b next to him will get what he's supposed to get and more means that alexei has been able to completely focus on what he should be doing, not what he should be doing, plus how he needs to over for 3b.

I think you mean not what he SHOULDN'T be doing...but the point is that he can relax, feeling quite confident about who is playing to the right and left of him.

Plus it doesn't hurt for him to have someone out there next to him he can communicate with fluently. Comfort level or zone is often underestimated, but Omar's steadying presence has obviously had a positive effect, and we can finally bury those arguments about Beckham playing SS.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 07:43 AM)

One of Omar's signature moves since he has been in the league is the pick up and throw all in one motion to get the ball out as quick as possible. Alexei has completely picked up on this, especially on plays in the hole.

Look at the way Alexei now rounds off grounders to his left to get in a better throwing position. Omar has his fingerprints all over Alexeis game.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 20, 2010 -> 11:55 PM)
Total agreement. Putz and Omar have far exceeded any realistic expectations anybody could've had for them. Now only if we could get rid of Pierre, Jones and Kotsay.

You said it.

And again, I fell asleep before the game was even near over. I'm getting old.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 06:38 AM)
Paulie might make the best picks of anyone.

Ryan Zimmerman had a diving stop last night and threw the ball past Adam Dunn for an error that allowed a bunch of runs to score. I couldn't help think that PK14 woulda had it.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 07:43 AM)

Although I'm sure Omar has been teaching and mentoring Alexei, sometimes players respond by just playing with better players. If you have a guy like Alexei who has a natural talent, his game can be bettered by simply playing with someone like Omar.

Alexei Ramirez's WAR is now 1st in the AL among all SS.

He's also third on the team among position players behind only Konerko and Rios.

Alexei Ramirez has a +/- of +21. That is #1 among all SS in MLB and #1 among all position players in MLB.

I knew Omar Vizquel was going to have somewhat of an effect on Alexei, but I didn't expect him to have THIS much of an effect.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 10:15 AM)

He's also third on the team among position players behind only Konerko and Rios.

Alexei Ramirez has a +/- of +21. That is #1 among all SS in MLB and #1 among all position players in MLB.

I knew Omar Vizquel was going to have somewhat of an effect on Alexei, but I didn't expect him to have THIS much of an effect.

How much longer do we have him? One more year plus two arbit years?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 09:24 AM)
How much longer do we have him? One more year plus two arbit years?

He makes $1.1 million next year. Then two arbitration years.

The good thing is that I don't forsee Alexei becoming an incredible offensive player, so as long as he doesn't win gold gloves (which I don't think he will with Jeter and Andrus still in the league), the arbitrator isn't going to award him a lot of money if it were to go to arbitration.

Now whatever kool aid it is that Alexei is sipping, can we give some to Mark Teahen?

I mean Alexei wasn't perceived to be the sharpest tool in the shed and clearly he is making great progress, without a doubt one of the best SS around right now. Can we hope Omar can rub off on Mark so he can become an average 3B?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 01:47 PM)
Although I'm sure Omar has been teaching and mentoring Alexei, sometimes players respond by just playing with better players. If you have a guy like Alexei who has a natural talent, his game can be bettered by simply playing with someone like Omar.

i agree with this. when you have a player as bad as teahan to your right, it's easier to mail it in or justify that it wasn't your fault. When you have one of the greatest defensive players of the last two decades on your right, you don't want to f*** up, because you know he won't.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 09:33 AM)
Now whatever kool aid it is that Alexei is sipping, can we give some to Mark Teahen?

I mean Alexei wasn't perceived to be the sharpest tool in the shed and clearly he is making great progress, without a doubt one of the best SS around right now. Can we hope Omar can rub off on Viciedo so he can become an average 3B?

Fixed, because wasn't the knock on Dayan's defense at 3rd always mental mistakes like Alexei used to have? Not saying he could become a GG like Alexei should, but maybe an above average glove.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 07:15 AM)

It was good to see how pumped up Alexei and Omar were with the play, with Omar pointing at Alexei and the big grin on Ramirez face. It was very cool to see and I was just in awe.

Danks was f***ing fantastic tonight. By about the 2nd inning I had a real good feeling he wasn't going to be giving up much anything. He was pounding the zone with strikes with the majority of his arsenal.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 09:31 AM)
He makes $1.1 million next year. Then two arbitration years.

The good thing is that I don't forsee Alexei becoming an incredible offensive player, so as long as he doesn't win gold gloves (which I don't think he will with Jeter and Andrus still in the league), the arbitrator isn't going to award him a lot of money if it were to go to arbitration.

Odds are they'll avoid arbitration with him and agree to 1 year deals with him. Probably end up making $5-6 million a year.

Wow. Had a total blast at the game. When you can only go to 1 Sox game a year it turned out to be all you'd want it to be. Superb pitching, some great defense and enough timely hitting to produce a win. Perfect. Alexi's play in the 8th was ridiculous. The most cheering from Seattle fans came when some idiot ran onto the field after the top of the ninth.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
Wow. Had a total blast at the game. When you can only go to 1 Sox game a year it turned out to be all you'd want it to be. Superb pitching, some great defense and enough timely hitting to produce a win. Perfect. Alexi's play in the 8th was ridiculous. The most cheering from Seattle fans came when some idiot ran onto the field after the top of the ninth.

I've been to Seattle 3 times and I love it. Best city in the US if you ask me. I'll probably fly up to see the series next year.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)
At what point does the organization give Alexei a new contract?

Well, they could look into buying out his arbitration years and maybe his first year or two of FA if they were interested. My guess is they'll end up paying $5 and 6 million or so for his arbitration years and then maybe $7-8 on the open market were he to be a FA. Sometime next season they could possibly offer him a 4 year deal worth $25 million or so would be my guess.