Jack Cust

Vance Law

Why the f*** not?

He beats the pants off Kotsay as a hitter. .385 OBP so far. The A's are going nowhere and didn't even have him on the team to start the year (didn't come up until May 15). He's put up a 1.036 OPS in July. It seems he may even be a better outfielder than Quentin at this point. Think of the damage he could do at Sox Park compared to in Oakland. What do you think he'd cost?

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 03:02 AM)
Why the f*** not?

He beats the pants off Kotsay as a hitter. .385 OBP so far. The A's are going nowhere and didn't even have him on the team to start the year (didn't come up until May 15). He's put up a 1.036 OPS in July. It seems he may even be a better outfielder than Quentin at this point. Think of the damage he could do at Sox Park compared to in Oakland. What do you think he'd cost?

the A's are 47-47 and only 8 games out with plenty of baseball to play, I wouldn't peg them as sellers just yet..

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 03:02 AM)
Why the f*** not?

Can Cust play back up 1B? You have to make room for him, so who would go? If you DFA Jones, then there goes that stellar late game outfield defense we were talking about in another thread. If you DFA Kotsay (yeah right), then who is going to be the back up 1B? I guess Viciedo could be, but he sure didn't look all that comfortable when I saw him play there a few games ago. I know he made me uncomfortable.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

He was dfa'd coming out of spring training- partly forced by the fact that Eric Chavez is making $12.5 million and so was given th DH job. When he and the rest of the A's offense predictably struggled (and Chavez no surprise landed on the DL again), Cust came up on May 15.

I didn't realize the A's were at .500. But Beane obviously is a dealer and without some crazy run in the next week, I would expect he'd do that rather than think he can catch the Rangers.

Cust seems to me comparable to a Laroche acquisition. Wouldn't cost too much in $$ or any of our top prospects, and would improve the offense.