Sox Will Go Closer by Committee

Heads22

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:17 AM)
Just said so in post game presser.

Why the hell do they need to go with a committee. They have a guy with closer experience, great stuff, and sick numbers this year. Hopefully not naming Putz the closer isn't just one of the Ozzie says something, and then immediately puts Bobby in the next save situation to prove a point. We have had people lose their jobs over performance for all of what 10 minutes before they are put back in the role.

Putz should be the closer. End of Line.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:25 AM)
Guarantee that Jenks will get at least 1 opportunity within the next 3 or 4 save situations.

I bet its the very next save opportunity. Ozzie pulled this s*** already this season, and did the same thing. Teams that have closers with > 5 ERAs don't win too many division titles.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 11:20 PM)
Why the hell do they need to go with a committee. They have a guy with closer experience, great stuff, and sick numbers this year. Hopefully not naming Putz the closer isn't just one of the Ozzie says something, and then immediately puts Bobby in the next save situation to prove a point. We have had people lose their jobs over performance for all of what 10 minutes before they are put back in the role.

Putz should be the closer. End of Line.

Putz is too damn valuable to have him just closing games at this point. If he's available in the 9th inning then he better be getting the ball, but if there's 2 on in the bottom of the 7th and Miguel Cabrera is at the plate then JJ needs to be used in that situation. Closer by committee is the way to go, not because Putz hasn't earned the opportunity to be the closer but for the fact he's just too good to only use him to close games.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 05:36 AM)
Putz is too damn valuable to have him just closing games at this point. If he's available in the 9th inning then he better be getting the ball, but if there's 2 on in the bottom of the 7th and Miguel Cabrera is at the plate then JJ needs to be used in that situation. Closer by committee is the way to go, not because Putz hasn't earned the opportunity to close but for the fact he's just too good to have him only close games.

Agreed, there's a huge ripple effect cause by Jenks' suckiness.

Closer by committee IMO is better than having 1 guy do it anyways, I've always thought that the Closer was an overrated position unless you're on the elite level (Rivera, Nathan, Hoffman, to an extent Soria)

When you have a bunch of really good but not elite pitchers in your bullpen, go with a committee IMO

i still think this came from above ozzie, or at least a discussion between ozzie and kenny took place, just a gut feeling but i guess nobody knows for sure

one thing is for sure, you can't buzz-kill the entire lockerroom every time you take the mound, it will ruin the vibe of a winning team, thats my two cents

i can just imagine what the vets were thinking when bobby f***ed them over again