Sox Will Go Closer by Committee

Heads22

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 07:45 AM)
Are "closers by committee" ever successful? This has bad news written all over it. Stick with one guy (Putz or Thornton) and ride with it.

"Closers by committee" are usually done by teams with s*** bullpens who just have no one to stick in the role, so that why they don't work. Picking and choosing situations for guys like Putz & Thornton should work fine, as they are both good enough to close, IMO.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It is troubling seeing Jenks struggle. The twinkies game was a complete melt down and velocity was mot there and it ddin't appear he had much on the ball or good command. Even when he pitched in the Seatlle win on Tuesday I didn't think he had much on the ball and the defense saved him. Last night again nothing on the ball. It makes you wonder if he is hurt or just has lost confidence. Putz and Thornton are better options at this point.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 07:37 AM)
This isn't the same Bobby from 05'. Quit living in the past... the man just isn't a good closer anymore.

In 2005, Bobby blew 2 saves out of 8 in 39 IP.

In 2010 Booby has blown 2 saves in 22 attempts in 35IP.

He's actually been a better closer this year. The closer is designed to get saves correct? He's on pace to blow about 4 saves this year, which is his career avg just about.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 09:08 AM)

He's actually been a better closer this year. The closer is designed to get saves correct? He's on pace to blow about 4 saves this year, which is his career avg just about.

Excuse me while I go laugh for the next hour or so.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 07:45 AM)
Are "closers by committee" ever successful? This has bad news written all over it. Stick with one guy (Putz or Thornton) and ride with it.

We had to do it with Jenks on the bereavement list and it went just fine.

You know why Blown Saves are abbreviated BS? Cause they're bulls***.

Jenks didn't even get a blown save for that horrible game he had in Minnesota. Shows how accurate blown saves are don't it?

I don't even know where to begin with this post. By this bizarre logic, Bobby has been just as good as Mariano Rivera, and slightly better than Andrew Bailey this year. That's not a world I want to live in. The man has an ERA over 5 and a WHIP over 1 and a half, and that's including an absolutely dominant June. He is not good enough to close, and he's really not good enough to close on a team with JJ Putz and Matt Thornton. The hope is you put him somewhere else and he finds something close to June form again, but he doesn't have the long term consistency to be trusted as closer again.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

LOL, actually sounds like a good name for him with the way he is pitching

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 09:17 AM)
You know why Blown Saves are abbreviated BS? Cause they're bulls***.

Jenks didn't even get a blown save for that horrible game he had in Minnesota. Shows how accurate blown saves are don't it?

So he has 3 blown saves. He hasnt been good this year, but he's not the awful pitcher that everyone is saying because they are upset after a loss that most people already thought we would lose. There is no perfect stat for a closer, but saves and blown saves are about as close as you can get. A closer can have a high ERA but be 100% on saves and still be very effective.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 09:27 AM)
So he has 3 blown saves. He hasnt been good this year, but he's not the awful pitcher that everyone is saying because they are upset after a loss that most people already thought we would lose. There is no perfect stat for a closer, but saves and blown saves are about as close as you can get. A closer can have a high ERA but be 100% on saves and still be very effective.

A closer can have a high ERA and WHIP and a good save percentage, but all that means is he's due for a stretch where it catches up to him, like it certainly appears Jenks is now in the midst of. When you have JJ Putz and Matt Thornton on your team, things like this have to be stopped before they get too ugly. You can't just DFA Jenks because we need him, but you can't trust a guy with his numbers as closer. Put him in a different spot and hope he contributes, it's all you can do really.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

By the #'s he has the same BS but he was responsable for the one in Minny but didn't get the worthless stat there. I didn't say he was terrible. I just said get over the love that he is the same closer when clearly he is not.

Edited by EvilJester99

The issue with the blown saves/saves converted logic is that you could apply that to pretty much any major league pitcher and he would convert a reasonable number of them.

The bottom line is the guy cannot be trusted.

People would probably kill for Papelbon and he has more blown saves, allowed 6 HR's, and has only struck out 32 in 39 innings. BTW, not that it's a big deal,but Thornton has as many blown save as Jenks in only 7 oppurtunities.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 06:43 AM)
People would probably kill for Papelbon and he has more blown saves, allowed 6 HR's, and has only struck out 32 in 39 innings. BTW, not that it's a big deal,but Thornton has as many blown save as Jenks in only 7 oppurtunities.

No one gives a s*** about "blown saves", Bobby didn't get a "blown save" for that s*** he pulled in Minnesota. The save is the worst stat in baseball.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 09:43 AM)

So Jenks is better than a guy with an ERA 2 runs lower and a WHIP half a baserunner lower because Ozzie saved him from having a 3rd blown save Sunday by taking him out? And the only place where blown saves is a worse stat than with closers is with non closers.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 09:27 AM)

No, he is awful.

When you're a closer and your ERA is in the 5s, you're doing something terribly wrong.

I've been saying this since April. High ERA + high WHIP = bad future. Some people brushed it off like it was nothing, like those stats had no predictive value. Look where we are now.

Edited by chw42

His main problem is that douchey bleached goatee..if he got rid of it problem solved...

Normally when I see him on the screen I want to grab it and rip it off his face, after games like that I want to do it hair by hair....

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 10:11 AM)
Who invented the save? Whoever did should get a smack to the head for coming up with such a horrible concept.

I dont think it is horrible as much as it is imperfect. And baseball has a few imperfect stats that are propped up as if they are the end-all be-all

I have my own theory, that this is Ozzie trying to motivate Bobby and tell him to stop dicking around and start slinging it.

I expect Bobbyback in a save situation very quickly and he'll probably end up keeping the job. Quite frankly, that would be a best possible scenario (Ozzie getting through to Bobby and us getting results). The guy has pitches, he just needs to stop f***ing around and get back to the basics of having 1 to 2 really really good pitches.

That is my hope at least as a fan of the Sox because they need to get production out of there highly paid reliever who will clearly be long gone at the end of the season.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 09:43 AM)

If you count Thornton's hold opportunities as well, then he is 20/22, just like Bobby.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 04:14 PM)
I have my own theory, that this is Ozzie trying to motivate Bobby and tell him to stop dicking around and start slinging it.

I expect Bobbyback in a save situation very quickly and he'll probably end up keeping the job. Quite frankly, that would be a best possible scenario (Ozzie getting through to Bobby and us getting results). The guy has pitches, he just needs to stop f***ing around and get back to the basics of having 1 to 2 really really good pitches.

That is my hope at least as a fan of the Sox because they need to get production out of there highly paid reliever who will clearly be long gone at the end of the season.

That's a good point. Jenks has been throwing his "sinker" he calls it [i.e., rolling breaking ball] when his best pitches are his FB and his big curve. If he can't locate his FB, then he's in trouble.