Sox Will Go Closer by Committee

Heads22

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
I have my own theory, that this is Ozzie trying to motivate Bobby and tell him to stop dicking around and start slinging it.

I expect Bobbyback in a save situation very quickly and he'll probably end up keeping the job. Quite frankly, that would be a best possible scenario (Ozzie getting through to Bobby and us getting results). The guy has pitches, he just needs to stop f***ing around and get back to the basics of having 1 to 2 really really good pitches.

That is my hope at least as a fan of the Sox because they need to get production out of there highly paid reliever who will clearly be long gone at the end of the season.

The best thing for this bullpen is to have Bobby back and pitching like he was in June. Cause let's face it, Bobby's going to be pretty bad at anything except closing. Hell, he's not even good at closing anymore.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The closer is designed to get saves correct? He's on pace to blow about 4 saves this year, which is his career avg just about.

No, the closer is designed to save each and every game and not fail. He also should not be overweight and have a goatee. He should not walk people ever or have runners get on base. He should be perfect or move onto the next guy.

A closer should pitch like Jenks did in June when he got save after save. And after those saves he should get no credit because he's just doing his job and earning the multi millions.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 10:45 AM)
No, the closer is designed to save each and every game and not fail. He also should not be overweight and have a goatee. He should not walk people ever or have runners get on base. He should be perfect or move onto the next guy.

A closer should pitch like Jenks did in June when he got save after save. And after those saves he should get no credit because he's just doing his job and earning the multi millions.

You are just baiting. Very troll like. I can't be the only one that sees this.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 03:49 PM)
I'd rather not move Putz from what IMO is one of the most important spots in any bullpen. Lets throw the reigns to Santos for a few games and see what he has.

I agree completely

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)

He's not baiting, he truly believes this. He will be on the Newark Bears message board in 2 years sticking up for Jenks when he's throwing 85 mph.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)
He's not baiting, he truly believes this. He will be on the Newark Bears message board in 2 years sticking up for Jenks when he's throwing 85 mph.

No he doesn't. This is greg's way of being sarcastic. Read this again good.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
No he doesn't. This is greg's way of being sarcastic. Read this again good.

sorry q, I was talking about the save talk. As for the fat/goatee stuff, he was being sarcastic but he seems very hurt by all the people ripping on Jenks for being overweight.

If I am baiting, what is the person doing who hates his goatee and wants to pull it out hair by hair.

I'm standing up for Jenks who is easy fodder for criticism. Again, what do you call the guy who wants to pull out his facial hair?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 10:59 AM)
If I am baiting, what is the person doing who hates his goatee and wants to pull it out hair by hair.

I'm standing up for Jenks who is easy fodder for criticism. Again, what do you call the guy who wants to pull out his facial hair?

Why are you standing up for him? What's the point? It's not like he's your son or a relative.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 08:59 AM)

Funny?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 11:01 AM)
Why are you standing up for him? What's the point?

It's mind boggling how defensive he gets over certain players and completely s***s on others that he deems "garbage".

Why are you standing up for him? What's the point?

I just don't see the point of trashing a guy and not praising him when he does (did) well.

I don't call for the second string quarterback every time the starter throws 2 or more picks.

Jenks had the closer job. He's blown 2 of 3 saves and Ozzie promptly called for a closer by committee which is the right thing to do. What good is it to get mad, call Jenks names, say we should just release him, he's not going to have a job anywhere next year, etc?

In answer to your question ... what's the point of bashing him? It's a message board. Some bash him. Some (one or two) praise him.

And why is his facial hair annoying? Should everybody be clean cut all all times? Why are you saying that? What's the point?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 11:05 AM)
I just don't see the point of trashing a guy and not praising him when he does (did) well.

I don't call for the second string quarterback every time the starter throws 2 or more picks.

Jenks had the closer job. He's blown 2 of 3 saves and Ozzie promptly called for a closer by committee which is the right thing to do. What good is it to get mad, call Jenks names, say we should just release him, he's not going to have a job anywhere next year, etc?

In answer to your question ... what's the point of bashing him? It's a message board. Some bash him. Some (one or two) praise him.

And why is his facial hair annoying? Should everybody be clean cut all all times? Why are you saying that? What's the point?

A lot of people bash him, only a couple praise him and the reason they're praising him is because he used to be good.

Sorry man, but this is baseball, where people get paid millions to perform. You can't start making excuses for a guy who's cost us at least 3 games this year out of the closer's role. Especially not in this division.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
Sorry man, but this is baseball, where people get paid millions to perform. You can't start making excuses for a guy who's cost us at least 3 games this year out of the closer's role. Especially not in this division.

This.

Jenks has gotten some praise this year. I've seen more than once this in a thread: Jenks! :headbang But when your closer (whose job is to close out a game without giving up runs!) fails and causes the team to lose, he deserves to be bashed. So what if people are saying he's fat and has an annoying goatee? He is and he does. When he saves a game, we'll ignore those attributes. When he blows a save, he's a fat ass with bad facial hair.

Here's something for everybody to chew on.

Last night, Bobby Jenks had a Win Percentage Added of -.82, mostly because the Sox had a 82% change of winning the game before Bobby laid an egg.

In the game he blew against the Twins, he had a Win Percentage Added of -.625 (Santos got -.3 for having to mop it up). The White Sox had a 95.1% chance of winning that game.

Bobby Jenks' WPA on the season: -.38.

Those trying to say that it's only been a couple of bad outings need to look at that -.38 and figure it out that the bad he's done in certain outings have overshadowed any good that he has done this year.

When the Sox made their move from June to all star break Jenks pitched 15 2/3 innings, had a 1.14 era, 18 K, 3 bb's, allowed only 9 hits,.765 whip, and 12 saves.Those are pretty good/great numbers. I guess my point is, when he's on and doing his job the Sox are at their best. There's no reason to think he can't bounce back unless there is some unknown issues with him that haven't come out. Plus, there's no guarantee Thornton or Putz will thrive in the closers role either. I suspect Ozzie will give Thornton a few morw save opps but Jenks will still be the main guy unless he continues to struggle. In the past Jenks has usually responded pretty well when OG has threatened to go by commitee.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
When the Sox made their move from June to all star break Jenks pitched 15 2/3 innings, had a 1.14 era, 18 K, 3 bb's, allowed only 9 hits,.765 whip, and 12 saves.Those are pretty good/great numbers. I guess my point is, when he's on and doing his job the Sox are at their best. There's no reason to think he can't bounce back unless there is some unknown issues with him that haven't come out. Plus, there's no guarantee Thornton or Putz will thrive in the closers role either. I suspect Ozzie will give Thornton a few morw save opps but Jenks will still be the main guy unless he continues to struggle. In the past Jenks has usually responded pretty well when OG has threatened to go by commitee.

Putz almost has 100 career saves. He knows how to do this.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 11:09 AM)
Point of bashing him is he's cost us two games since the ASB. I don't care if Osama Bin Laden is on the White Sox (you want to talk about bad facial hair), as long as they help the Sox win, then I'll cheer them on.

Well, if bin Laden is the closer, he definitely needs to dye his goatee black or Sox silver because the salt and pepper beard won't scare or intimidate many opposing batters.

But maybe it could make Joe Mauer bunt again with the winning runs on base...

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)

For those that were skeptical of the Sox because they were beating bad teams, they should be just as skeptical of Jenks' June considering that was mostly against those same bad teams.