7/24 GT: Sox @ A's - 3:10 CDT - FOX

knightni

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
They need a bat. They can't ride this pitching wave forever and the minute it falters something needs to be there to take its place. These things tend to balance themselves out.

I don't think many folks truly realize the impact of what losing Peavy for the year has created. It's about way more than him not being able to take the mound every 5th day. Big ass domino effect. I don't think we're going to be able to recover.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 10:22 PM)
I don't think many folks truly realize the impact of what losing Peavy for the year has created. It's about way more than him not being able to take the mound every 5th day. Big ass domino effect. I don't think we're going to be able to recover.

I couldn't agree more. Easily one of the most crippling injuries I can remember the Sox having. Look at the team now, and there's some huge concerns with #4/5, some bullpen issues, and the usual RF/DH issues. Hudson's now no longer a viable trade chip.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 06:22 PM)

At least for now...if Hudson can be the guy to take the mound every 5th day...all he has to do for me is do what Peavy has done so far thsi year. Near .500 record, ERA just below 5, gives you a chance to win some of the games he's in.

If you trade him though...then that's a big ass domino effect.

Of course, one of those dominoes is also not filling the DH role to start the year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 05:25 PM)
I couldn't agree more. Easily one of the most crippling injuries I can remember the Sox having. Look at the team now, and there's some huge concerns with #4/5, some bullpen issues, and the usual RF/DH issues. Hudson's now no longer a viable trade chip.

There's just no way KW is going to be able to legitimately upgrade the offense and rotation.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 05:26 PM)
At least for now...if Hudson can be the guy to take the mound every 5th day...all he has to do for me is do what Peavy has done so far thsi year. Near .500 record, ERA just below 5, gives you a chance to win some of the games he's in.

If you trade him though...then that's a big ass domino effect.

Of course, one of those dominoes is also not filling the DH role to start the year.

Thing is Peavy was just starting to hit his stride. I don't think it's as simple as Hudson keeping his era below 5.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 06:28 PM)
Thing is Peavy was just starting to hit his stride. I don't think it's as simple as Hudson keeping his era below 5.

We got to 1st place with Peavy 7-6 and a 4.6 ERA.

Sure, he could pitch above that level...but that's all he'd done on the season by the time we were in first place.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 11:29 PM)

Sure, he could pitch above that level...but that's all he'd done on the season by the time we were in first place.

But Peavy's strong stretch helped this team go on a huge run that put them into first place. If this team goes back to playing .500 baseball or less like they were before the 30 game run, then they're in a lot of trouble.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
Watching this game, considering the score, would have sucked no matter what

having to listen to Mark Grace just makes it that much worse

Seriously, even when was it was still 0-0, I was thinking about how f***ing awful this announcing crew is. The play-by-play guy's voice doesn't change whether its ball 1 or an RBI single.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 06:31 PM)
But Peavy's strong stretch helped this team go on a huge run that put them into first place. If this team goes back to playing .500 baseball or less like they were before the 30 game run, then they're in a lot of trouble.

And his strong run was equally offset by his terrible run that helped the team pile up losses. Would you take 1 strong run and 1 weak run from Hudson? I would. That's my whole point.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)

Wrong. We got to 1st place because of a ridiculous 26-5 stretch in which the SP was 2005 like. Jake Peavy in June: 3-2, 1.75 ERA, .194 BAA, 29/8 SO/BB ratio.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 11:32 PM)
And his strong run was equally offset by his terrible run that helped the team pile up losses. Would you take 1 strong run and 1 weak run from Hudson? I would. That's my whole point.

But who's to say Hudson is even capable of having a strong run? But no, I'd rather he just be consistent instead of peaks and valleys.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 05:06 PM)
I'm still uncomfortable with the "10 runs = 1 win" calculation, but as a method of comparison there...it's a good way to guess at how the values of a 5th starter versus a big DH compare.

I have seen you say this multiple times now. S*** was just not thrown at the wall... and then people walked by and just let it stick there. I suggest you look up exactly why the number is, what the number is, otherwise you will not grasp it and always be in doubt.

Edited by qwerty