Figgins and Wakamatsu come to blows in dugout

caulfield12

http://www.seattlepi.com/baseball/2010ap_b...gout_fight.html

I guess KW and Sox fans should be thankful we didn't trade for/sign either Figgins or Bradley...

There's another article in the Seattle Times, I thought this was the most interesting insight...

The Mariners are 2-7 since the All-Star break and have committed numerous baserunning, situational hitting and fielding blunders. But through it all, the players committing the gaffes have been allowed to remain in games and stay in the starting lineup.

Wakamatsu has been saying since before the break that his players would be held accountable for mistakes. This time, he made good on that pledge.

"I think you're talking about baserunning plays, and not all of those are cut and dried," Wakamatsu said of the prior gaffes that went unpunished. "I thought this was cut and dried."

There has been an underlying tension brewing between Wakamatsu and some of his players since the hasty retirement and departure of Ken Griffey Jr. in early June. The pair did not speak for roughly two weeks before Griffey leaving, and several players believe Wakamatsu forced him into retirement — a charge the manager vehemently denies.

The week following the retirement, Figgins reacted angrily and criticized Wakamatsu's decision to bump him from No. 2 back to No. 9 in the batting order during a series in Texas. The Mariners were embarrassed on the field during that series, and several veterans — including the since-traded Cliff Lee — held a players-only meeting in San Diego afterward to clear the air about several topics, including putting the Griffey episode behind them.

One of the reasons Branyan was acquired was for additional leadership at a time the team knew Lee was soon to be traded.

"It's something where we need to come together and pull through this," Branyan said, "as opposed to pointing fingers and tearing the team apart."

Edited by caulfield12

Today was the first day for the Seattle Mariners to respond to the report that Ken Griffey was asleep in the clubhouse during a pinch-hit opportunity and Mike Sweeney(notes) didn't have any trouble standing up for his elder teammate.

The devout Christian who once bullrushed Jeff Weaver(notes) says he challenged the Safeco Field deep throats to stand up and fight him, but no one took him up on the offer. Pity, too, because Mike Sweeney's a man! He's 40!