Magglio Ordonez Seriously Injured

fathom

Inge ($6.6 million), Laird, Damon ($8 million), Bonderman ($12.5 million), Willis ($12 million) and Robertson ($10 million)...not sure exactly how much they ate on those last two deals, probably about 75-80%.

Plus the money from Magglio Ordonez now saved, $15 million for 2011 option.

I'm guessing they will try to pay lip service to bringing back Ordonez and Inge on smaller deals, and PERHAPS Bonderman as well, but Jeremy's one of those cases where they might be better off investing the big money he's sure to get from someone (glad Hawk isn't our GM anymore) and going in a different direction.

I think you'd have to consider DET, coming into the offseason, as the team best positioned to make a run in 2011...especially with Peavy's status unknown.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 10:23 PM)
Detroit's a Paper Tiger. They can't support huge salaries forever. That team will be rebuilding soon.

There's no way that team's running a profit right now. Forbes has them at the bottom of the team valuations.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 07:51 PM)
Looking further ahead... this very well might be a blessing for the tigers.

Yes, probably, although they probably won't save as much as many will think at first. He's actually had a nice year this year, and while he certainly is not worth $15 million, an .875 OPS player to replace him probably won't come cheaply...My guess is it probably saves them somewhere in the realm of $4-5 million next year, if that.

However, should they need to trade for someone to replace him this year, and pay for that guy too, they probably end of negating all of that money anyways.

Well, one thing's for sure, the team is definitely not going to be bankrupt because of the owner.

It's not a situation like the D-Backs or Rangers, and interestingly, and both of those teams contended quite nicely when they were supposedly going through financial problems (although you can see the effects/fallout out in Phoenix now).

The Scherzer and Austin Jackson trades have worked out better than expected for the Tigers, and I have a hard time seeing the Tigers being dismantled when we thought the same thing going into this year and they were able to add Valverde and Damon.

If they can get Galarraga and Porcello straightened out 100%, they'll be a competitive team, for sure. Like seemingly every team, they have a hole at the back end of their rotation...but so do the White Sox, possibly.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 10:36 PM)
but so do the White Sox, possibly.

Depends on if we trade for a DH this year.

How sad is that? Sign Thome in 2010, and because of that we have a solid 5th starter in 2011. Go with Kotsay in 2010, and because of that, we need a 2011 5th starter.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 03:38 AM)
Depends on if we trade for a DH this year.

How sad is that? Sign Thome in 2010, and because of that we have a solid 5th starter in 2011. Go with Kotsay in 2010, and because of that, we need a 2011 5th starter.

If the Sox trade for a hitter, and still miss the playoffs, then there's no doubt in my mind Ozzie deserves to be fired for his Thome decision.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 09:36 PM)
Well, one thing's for sure, the team is definitely not going to be bankrupt because of the owner.

It's not a situation like the D-Backs or Rangers, and interestingly, and both of those teams contended quite nicely when they were supposedly going through financial problems (although you can see the effects/fallout out in Phoenix now).

The Scherzer and Austin Jackson trades have worked out quite nicely for the Tigers, I have a hard time seeing the Tigers being dismantled when we thought the same thing going into this year and they were able to add Valverde and Damon.

If they can get Galarraga and Porcello straightened out 100%, they'll be a competitive team, for sure. Like seemingly every team, they have a hole at the back end of their rotation...but so do the White Sox, possibly.

I agree. They'll scale it back a bit, probably pare payroll down the the $100 million level, but I don't think they are going to be drastically throwing all well-paid assets overboard to avoid the ship sinking or anything...

Hudson can't be traded. There's no one to replace him - especially in a pennant race. Garcia isn't going to keep fooling people forever with mediocre stuff (today as exhibit A). If Garcia falters and Hudson's traded, I wouldn't want to be down the stretch with Chris Narveson and Carlos Torres as my #4 and #5 starters. Prince Fielder and Adam Dunn are great, but they can't pitch.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 10:41 PM)
If the Sox trade for a hitter, and still miss the playoffs, then there's no doubt in my mind Ozzie deserves to be fired for his Thome decision.

Ozzie shouldn't get fired for roster mistakes...he doesn't have the final decision, even if he's wrong.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 09:42 PM)
Ozzie shouldn't get fired for roster mistakes...he doesn't have the final decision, even if he's wrong.

That is the entire reason they allowed him to have the input he's had though - so they could hold him accountable.

Well, with Minnesota seemingly jumping up as the favorite to challenge the Sox with Ordonez and Inge down, it seemingly will come down to pitching (as always):

Garcia/Hudson versus whatever they can get from Duensing, Slowey, Blackburn and Baker. For the moment, you don't see them trading for Oswalt (although I wouldn't be shocked, either) or Haren, I think they're pretty confident about Duensing after 2009 down the stretch.

For whatever reason, they've gotten through to Pavano. From one of biggest jokes and worst contracts in baseball to probably their co-#1 starter along with Liriano. As much as their fanbase has been on SLOW-BAKE-BURN this season (along with Rick Anderson and GM Smith for their contracts), Pavano and Liriano have certainly been somewhat unexpected success stories which have somewhat mitigated the drop off from Kubel, Cuddyer, Morneau and Mauer. Of course, having Nathan go down early didn't help matters either, they still have some shakiness in their middle relief corps.

Edited by caulfield12

The Tigers will spend as long as attendance holds up and Ilitch has his finances in order. They are 14th in the league in attendance avg just over 30k a game. The problem with them is, they are too willing to give out big contracts to bad/mediocre players (Robertson, Willis, Bonderman, Inge) and over pay on many of those contracts and other ones, such as Pudge a few yrs back, Ordonez, Guillen.

Dombrowski is a decent GM, but way to liberal in terms of contracts.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 24, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
The Tigers will spend as long as attendance holds up and Ilitch has his finances in order. They are 14th in the league in attendance avg just over 30k a game. The problem with them is, they are too willing to give out big contracts to bad/mediocre players (Robertson, Willis, Bonderman, Inge) and over pay on many of those contracts and other ones, such as Pudge a few yrs back, Ordonez, Guillen.

Dombrowski is a decent GM, but way to liberal in terms of contracts.

In other words, he's bad.

He's the Jim Hendry of the American League.

Edited by chw42