Is it finally time for....

joeynach

My question is, is it finally time to move Beckham back to the 2nd hole in the lineup. Now that he appears be hitting, back to his usual self, should someone who can hit for average, handle the bat well, hit for some power, and has a unique ability to hit the ball to RF be wasting away in the 9 spot? His production the last 3 weeks or so has been relatively wasted with Pierre and Vizquel hitting behind him. Both of those guys have proven they have trouble hitting the ball to the outfield let alone driving in runs or spraying the gaps. Now Beckham in the 9 hole does provide some ability to drive in runs at the bottom of the order since he hits behind AJ and Alexi, but Beckham in the 2 hole would theoretically create more RBI opportunities for the meat: Rios, PK, and CQ. Plus moving Vizquel (or Pierre) to the 9 hole isnt really that big of a change because they both follow each other in the lineup now, you would just be giving Beckham, a hitter with more power an extra at bat that would be take away from one of those guys. So is it time?

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 12:26 AM)
My question is, is it finally time to move Beckham back to the 2nd hole in the lineup. Now that he appears be hitting, back to his usual self, should someone who can hit for average, handle the bat well, hit for some power, and has a unique ability to hit the ball to RF be wasting away in the 9 spot? His production the last 3 weeks or so has been relatively wasted with Pierre and Vizquel hitting behind him. Both of those guys have proven they have trouble hitting the ball to the outfield let alone driving in runs or spraying the gaps. Now Beckham in the 9 hole does provide some ability to drive in runs at the bottom of the order since he hits behind AJ and Alexi, but Beckham in the 2 hole would theoretically create more RBI opportunities for the meat: Rios, PK, and CQ. Plus moving Vizquel (or Pierre) to the 9 hole isnt really that big of a change because they both follow each other in the lineup now, you would just be giving Beckham, a hitter with more power an extra at bat that would be take away from one of those guys. So is it time?

greg will admit Bobby Jenks has been below average before Ozzie moves Pierre to the 9-hole. Personally, I'd like to wait until the end of the month and see where Gordon is before any lineup shuffling is done.

I called for this a few weeks ago, so I'd like to consider myself ahead of my time ;-)

But I say yes, it's silly to have him batting 9th. And the argument of don't fix it, it ain't broke is silly because if you believed that you'd have Rios batting 7th because that's where he did on opening day.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Jul 25, 2010 -> 02:07 AM)
I called for this a few weeks ago, so I'd like to consider myself ahead of my time ;-)

But I say yes, it's silly to have him batting 9th. And the argument of don't fix it, it ain't broke is silly because if you believed that you'd have Rios batting 7th because that's where he did on opening day.

We sucked balls in the beginning of the season...

with Gordon finally looking like hes coming around I think it would be foolish to start moving him around.. just let him get himself together and roll with the lineup right now.. add a bat through a trade and just keep the lead that's all im asking for

Gordon inexplicably went 2-for-15 in the Oakland series with no walks and no RBIs after having multi hit games in six of his previous eight games.

I don't know how many times he struck out today, but he'd whiffed seven times in his previous four games. That's baseball, but that has to be frustrating to him after getting it going.

Edited by greg775