Twins set for trade with Blue Jays

chw42

This really scares me.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Twins_c...al_with_Toronto

The Minnesota Twins aren't done seeking pitching help yet.

There were strong indications on Monday afternoon the Twins had zeroed in on a trade with the Toronto Blue Jays and that, while nothing is finalized, a deal could come together quickly.

The target of the talks wasn't known, but Toronto has several arms who could be available -- a list that includes relievers Scott Downs, Jason Frasor and Kevin Gregg and perhaps starter Shaun Marcum.

Ken Rosenthal tweeted that Toronto is calling up a AA pitcher to pitch on Wedesnday and that's Marcum's day to start.

Not only is Marcum a really good pitcher, he also owns us with his changeup, one of the best in baseball. We have a lot of games left with the Twins...

Edited by chw42

What's Marcum's salary situation? I found that he signed for $850k at the start of the year to avoid arbitration. Is he still under team control for a few more years. If so, why would they trade him? Also, how effective will he be the rest of the season? He missed 2009 with Tommy John surgery and is already at 118 IP. I would think that he would wear down a little bit as this season goes on.

He has two more years of arbitration remaining. I'm assuming he'll make $5-6 million next year and $7-9 in 2012.

Marcum has some very questionable mechanics, which is why he need TJS to begin with. So he'll probably deal with arm issues down the line as well.

Maybe this is why the Blue Jays are willing to deal him. They're rebuilding, but Marcum would be a good part of their future. Trading him away, even if he gets you a Ben Revere or a Wilson Ramos, isn't the best idea because I see this Jays team competing as early as next season. Maybe they're worried about his health.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 06:33 PM)
Trading him away, even if he gets you a Ben Revere or a Wilson Ramos, isn't the best idea because I see this Jays team competing as early as next season. Maybe they're worried about his health.

Remember, they're still in the AL East. You can't just compete, you have to field a dominant team if you want to even be in the hunt towards the end.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)
He has two more years of arbitration remaining. I'm assuming he'll make $5-6 million next year and $7-9 in 2012.

Marcum has some very questionable mechanics, which is why he need TJS to begin with. So he'll probably deal with arm issues down the line as well.

Maybe this is why the Blue Jays are willing to deal him. They're rebuilding, but Marcum would be a good part of their future. Trading him away, even if he gets you a Ben Revere or a Wilson Ramos, isn't the best idea because I see this Jays team competing as early as next season. Maybe they're worried about his health.

You surely see something I don't. Unless they're moving to the central or west, they've got no chance in that monster of a division.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 05:40 PM)
You surely see something I don't. Unless they're moving to the central or west, they've got no chance in that monster of a division.

AA has made a couple of really good deals and they have a nice group of players in Hill, Lind, Escobar, Lewis, and Bautista.

I understand that they're in the East, but given that this current team is a .500 team with Hill and Lind doing absolutely nothing, they have the potential to be a 88-90 win team with some smart moves as early as next season.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 05:43 PM)
AA has made a couple of really good deals and they have a nice group of players in Hill, Lind, Escobar, Lewis, and Bautista.

I understand that they're in the East, but given that this current team is a .500 team with Hill and Lind doing absolutely nothing, they have the potential to be a 88-90 win team with some smart moves as early as next season.

I agree with you. I like what the Blue Jays are doing. I just don't see it for them in that division. It's funny, I think a healthy Red Sox team might be the best in baseball. And there's a damn good chance they might miss the postseason.

Apparently, the AA pitcher that was going to be called up, Brad Mills, is getting the call up because the Blue Jays have a double header on Wednesday.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 05:57 PM)
Frasor's a huge Sox fan. If he's traded, he better remember his roots.

No wonder he gave up a game-tying home run to Mark Teahen.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 05:53 PM)
Apparently, the AA pitcher that was going to be called up, Brad Mills, is getting the call up because the Blue Jays have a double header on Wednesday.

Really? I don't see it on the schedule anywhere.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 06:01 PM)
No wonder he gave up a game-tying home run to Mark Teahen.

I think he then forgot about his roots on Sunday when he gave up doubles to MCab and Raburn to give Detroit that victory.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
Really? I don't see it on the schedule anywhere.

I think he then forgot about his roots on Sunday when he gave up doubles to MCab and Raburn to give Detroit that victory.

Hmm, you're right. I can't seem to find that either.

Edit: Marcum pitched in the DH on Sunday, so if he were to pitch on Wednesday, he would be going on 3 days' rest. So that's why Mills is getting called up.

Edited by chw42

Marcum gets the ball for Toronto on Friday. His control is some of the best in baseball, if the Blue Jays are smart, they'll get quite the ransom for him, or they'll sign him to a moderate extension in the off-season and keep him as a building block. The Twins have had decent experience with Tommy John surgery with Liriano, but I can't imagine they'd want two pitchers on the staff who have gone through that.

Marcum is making $850,000 this year and has 2 arb years left before free agency.

What is the motivation for the Blue Jays to trade him unless the Twins are willing to overpay?

Most major league teams do NOT give up cheap young quality starters unless they get a ransom for them.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 12:01 PM)
Marcum is making $850,000 this year and has 2 arb years left before free agency.

What is the motivation for the Blue Jays to trade him unless the Twins are willing to overpay?

Most major league teams do NOT give up cheap young quality starters unless they get a ransom for them.

This rumor has been shot down pretty much. People thought it was going to be Marcum because they called up a AA pitcher to take his spot, turns out Marcum had a blister problem and he would also be starting on three days' rest.

I said something similar on the first page to what you said, trading him doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the Blue Jays.

Edited by chw42