Garza throws no hitter

Heads22

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 08:53 PM)
I wonder if the Twins are regretting Garza for Delmon. I'm sure glad we don't have to face Garza multiple times a year. Delmon still has a ways to go before he matches Garza's value.

Delmon Young has been sensational for them this year. I'm sure they'd rather have Garza and a healthy Morneau though...and 1st place.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 08:55 PM)
Delmon Young has been sensational for them this year. I'm sure they'd rather have Garza and a healthy Morneau though...and 1st place.

He's on fire in July, but before that he was far from sensational. I'm not sold on Delmon hitting .320 for a full season or ever again.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 09:06 PM)
The cycle does more for me than a no-hitter this year.

The cycle should never do anything for you. It's a stupid accomplishment. I'd rather have a guy hit 2 HR with 4 hits than a triple and a HR. A cycle is 'nifty' not all that great.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 09:12 PM)
The cycle should never do anything for you. It's a stupid accomplishment. I'd rather have a guy hit 2 HR with 4 hits than a triple and a HR. A cycle is 'nifty' not all that great.

That was kinda my point. The no-hitter means next to nothing these days.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 09:12 PM)
He's on fire in July, but before that he was far from sensational. I'm not sold on Delmon hitting .320 for a full season or ever again.

He also hit .320 in June and .313 in May. He's 6th in AVG and 3rd in the AL in RBI. People forget he's only 25.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 08:54 PM)
Jim Joyce was the home plate umpire. That's nuts.

Yep. And he gave Garza alot of generous calls later on. I don't think he wanted to be the one to mess it up again. Congrats to Garza though. First pitcher in Rays history to throw one. I would have bet money it would have been David Price, but Garza was my second choice. Of the 120 pitches he threw, 101 were fastballs. That is amazing. So now only the Mets and Padres are the only teams who have never had a no-hitter in their history.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 09:57 PM)
Yep. And he gave Garza alot of generous calls later on. I don't think he wanted to be the one to mess it up again. Congrats to Garza though. First pitcher in Rays history to throw one. I would have bet money it would have been David Price, but Garza was my second choice. Of the 120 pitches he threw, 101 were fastballs. That is amazing. So now only the Mets and Padres are the only teams who have never had a no-hitter in their history.

It's hard to believe the Mets have never thrown a no-hitter with the likes of Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver and Jerry Koosman in their past.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)
It's hard to believe the Mets have never thrown a no-hitter with the likes of Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver and Jerry Koosman in their past.

Doc Gooden tossed a one hitter for the Mets.

This is a funny website about the Mets never having got a no hitter.

http://www.nonohitters.com/

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 10:22 PM)
He also hit .320 in June and .313 in May. He's 6th in AVG and 3rd in the AL in RBI. People forget he's only 25.

The difference was he wasn't hitting for power then. Considering he doesn't draw walks that puts a lot of pressure on his ability to hit for contact and power. He can hit .300 and actually not be that valuable as a corner outfielder.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)
The difference was he wasn't hitting for power then. Considering he doesn't draw walks that puts a lot of pressure on his ability to hit for contact and power. He can hit .300 and actually not be that valuable as a corner outfielder.

Before this year, that's what he pretty much did. He was basically the least valuable .290-.300 hitter in the league, especially if you add in his bad defense.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:25 PM)
Before this year, that's what he pretty much did. He was basically the least valuable .290-.300 hitter in the league, especially if you add in his bad defense.

I know I'd love to have him in the outfield for the Sox.