Teahen cleared for baseball activity...

southsider2k5

I semi-joked about this with Jason earlier, but didn't Kotsay used to be injury prone? That's really our only hope.

there is ZERO justification for keeping Kotsay on the team when Teahen comes back. NONE. Lillibridge and Viciedo bring so much more to this team right now...

Hard for injuries to get rid of him when he never plays the field. Which sucks.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 07:37 PM)
It still confuses me as to why we need Torres to pitch in the DH.

Because it's the only way to keep someone from having to pitch on short rest.

Garcia + Buehrle (both on normal rest)

Jackson

D1

Floyd

Buehrle or Garcia (either one on 3 days rest - this is the one we're trying to avoid)

Garia or Buehrle (normal rest).

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)
Torres up --> Viciedo down --> Torres down --> Sale up --> Teahen back --> ???

Kotsay :pray

Has anyone from this years draft been called up to the majors already?

This story about Sox promising Sale majors in August is dead on so far.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 06:41 PM)
Because it's the only way to keep someone from having to pitch on short rest.

Garcia + Buehrle (both on normal rest)

Jackson

D1

Floyd

Buehrle or Garcia (either one on 3 days rest - this is the one we're trying to avoid)

Garia or Buehrle (normal rest).

I would rather have Buehrle or Jackson pitch on 4 days rest vs. Baltimore, than then Torres pitch vs. Detroit.

I would do....

Tuesday - Buehrle & Jackson (6 days rest)

Wednesday - Garcia (6 days rest)

Thursday - Danks (5 days rest)

Friday - Floyd (5 days rest)

Saturday - Buehrle or Jackson (4 days rest)

Sunday - Buehrle or Jackson (5 days rest)

Have then both pitch on Tuesday, and whoever has the shorter outing of the two would pitch Saturday vs. Orioles, and the other would pitch on Sunday. I just think a Buehrle or a Jackson on 4 days rest would pitch better vs. the Orioles than Carlos Torres would against the Tigers. Plus, it would save having to send someone down for Torres to come up.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 06:59 PM)
Kotsay :pray

Has anyone from this years draft been called up to the majors already?

This story about Sox promising Sale majors in August is dead on so far.

I don't think so. In fact, I can't even think of the last person to play in the majors the same year he was drafted.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 07:07 PM)
I don't think so. In fact, I can't even think of the last person to play in the majors the same year he was drafted.

I think there have been a few relievers...Houston Street comes to mind...didn't Ryan Zimmerman come right up as well?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 07:06 PM)
I would rather have Buehrle or Jackson pitch on 4 days rest vs. Baltimore, than then Torres pitch vs. Detroit.

I would do....

Tuesday - Buehrle & Jackson (6 days rest)

Wednesday - Garcia (6 days rest)

Thursday - Danks (5 days rest)

Friday - Floyd (5 days rest)

Saturday - Buehrle or Jackson (4 days rest)

Sunday - Buehrle or Jackson (5 days rest)

Have then both pitch on Tuesday, and whoever has the shorter outing of the two would pitch Saturday vs. Orioles, and the other would pitch on Sunday. I just think a Buehrle or a Jackson on 4 days rest would pitch better vs. the Orioles than Carlos Torres would against the Tigers. Plus, it would save having to send someone down for Torres to come up.

It's already been decided. Freddy is going to get extra rest, and start Thursday. Buehrle and Torres will go Tuesday, Jackson on Wed. Starting Friday, the rotation for the rest of the season should be Danks, Floyd, Buehrle, Jackson, Garcia.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 07:07 PM)

Didn't the Nationals rush that college closer, Wagner maybe to the majors and he blew out his elbow, maybe Joey Devine at the time with the Braves as well came up the same year.

Actually, Detroit's offense has been neutered since they lost Inge/Magglio/Guillen to injury. Outside of Cabrera, they are pretty impotent right now, especially since Boesch is hitting like .050 in his last 50 PAs.

Seems to me like this could be the perfect spot to get away with a Torres start.

Etc, etc.

Coop met with Ozzie. Showed him a schedule he put together for the rest of the year, and said to make it work he wanted someone from the minors to handle the 2nd game this Tuesday.

Ozzie said OK.

End of story. There was no debate.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 08:00 PM)
Coop met with Ozzie. Showed him a schedule he put together for the rest of the year, and said to make it work he wanted someone from the minors to handle the 2nd game this Tuesday.

Ozzie said OK.

I don't understand why this matters. I made a case for why I think it should be a certain way, not trying to convince Ozzie or Kenny to do it that way. It was quite obvious that Torres would be pitching on Tuesday when they announced Jackson to pitch on Wednesday yesterday. Just because a decision has been made doesn't mean I can't question why.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 07:08 PM)
I don't understand why this matters. I made a case for why I think it should be a certain way, not trying to convince Ozzie or Kenny to do it that way. It was quite obvious that Torres would be pitching on Tuesday when they announced Jackson to pitch on Wednesday yesterday. Just because a decision has been made doesn't mean I can't question why.

You seem to have a habit of running the fool's errand, my friend...

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 08:08 PM)

Sure you can question why. I wouldn't try to deny you that.

Your original post said you were confused why this was happening. I was just explaining that Coop requested it. That's why it happened. He has every start for the rest of the year planned out and didn't want to change things around because of the double-header.

That might sound like a routine normal thing to do, but I think it's pretty significant. Because it means they're targeting who they want to line up against certain teams late in the year (like the Yankees in late August and the Red Sox in September) ... which is pretty exciting when you think about it.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 26, 2010 -> 11:12 PM)
I'll gladly take Teahen to get Kotsay out of our lineup.

Oh you are so right.

Teahen in...Kotsay out...sounds like a good trade off. MT was a disappointment early on but I'm hoping he'll be energized by his return for the pennant race.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
Sure you can question why. I wouldn't try to deny you that.

Your original post said you were confused why this was happening. I was just explaining that Coop requested it. That's why it happened. He has every start for the rest of the year planned out and didn't want to change things around because of the double-header.

That might sound like a routine normal thing to do, but I think it's pretty significant. Because it means they're targeting who they want to line up against certain teams late in the year (like the Yankees in late August and the Red Sox in September) ... which is pretty exciting when you think about it.

Ok, now THAT makes sense to me. Thanks.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 08:00 PM)

Ozzie said OK.

The story has always been that Ozzie leaves those sort of decisions up to Cooper.

Harrell was sent down the night he pitched. Jackson is on the 25-man roster, as he was required to be added on Saturday.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 12:20 PM)
Is Edwin Jackson on the 25 man roster? If not, Torres replaces Harrell and then Jackson replaces Torres.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 2, 2010 -> 06:00 PM)
Have they said how long Teahen is going to be down there? He hasn't played in the field yet. Tonight will be his third game at DH. It may be a good idea to get him some field time too....not that it will help much.

From what I have been able to piece together, it looks like they are going to keep him on the rehab until we return from this roadtrip.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 1, 2010 -> 03:40 PM)
The more I think about it and thanks to Kalapse I think, Torres will be called up to pitch the DH, Viciedo will be send down, and after the Torres gets sent back down, Teahen will be back.

That would just be so wrong. Not saying it won't happen, but it would be a bad personnel decision. It would be better if Torres came up and Kotsay was DFA. Then Torres sent down and Teahen called up.