Sox make Frank Thomas team ambassador

Balta1701

Really, no surprises here.

Frank Thomas, who will have his No. 35 retired by the White Sox in August, rejoined Chicago as a team ambassador, the club announced in a press release Tuesday.

"Frank Thomas is one of the greatest offensive players in Major League Baseball history and, without question, one of the greatest players in our franchise's long history," said White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf. "It is with great pleasure that we formally welcome Frank back to the White Sox family."

On Aug. 29, the two-time American League Most Valuable Player will be honored at U.S. Cellular Field, an event the team will call "Frank Thomas Day," the White Sox announced in February.

Moving forward as an ambassador, the 42-year-old will be making appearances for the team by joining its speaking bureau, which consists of Carlton Fisk, Minnie Minoso, Ron Kittle, Bill Melton and Bill Skowron, the AP added.

QUOTE (IceCreamPants @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
Ambassador= FIAL

Its just a made up title from what I seen. Its laughable....just saying.

The Bulls did something similar a week or so ago with Scottie Pippen...probably in an effort to spit in DWade's face.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
The Bulls did something similar a week or so ago with Scottie Pippen...probably in an effort to spit in DWade's face.

Thats exactly what came to my mind when I read about Thomas. Pippen is not what I would call an ambassador of anything other than his own ego.

QUOTE (IceCreamPants @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
Ambassador= FIAL

The Blackhawks have been doing that for a while now. I think it just gives the old-timers another reason to come around to games more often. Fire Dennis Savard as head coach, but make him an "ambassador" immediately after.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:41 PM)
The Blackhawks have been doing that for a while now. I think it just gives the old-timers another reason to come around to games more often. Fire Dennis Savard as head coach, but make him an "ambassador" immediately after.

Its a false and imaginary job title. I guess if you want to still keep a certain name tied to your organization but they are not talented or good enough for any other job you give them that title. :huh

QUOTE (IceCreamPants @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
Ambassador= FIAL

True. Fisk was named an ambassador a couple of years ago. Even he didn't know exactly what that meant, and he hasn't been doing anything White Sox-related since.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Jul 27, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)
Next up... build a statue for the man, then the hall of fame.

In all honesty, his needs to be huge.

Like, put a giant statue on the fan deck of him hitting a HR, or right outside next to the Plaza.

I've had tickets to this game for a while now, and I'm very much looking forward to it. But I just realized that they'll also be giving away Frank Thomas bobbleheads to the first 10,000 in attendance. If that's not worth getting there early, I don't know what is!

QUOTE (PlunketChris @ Jul 28, 2010 -> 07:49 AM)
I've had tickets to this game for a while now, and I'm very much looking forward to it. But I just realized that they'll also be giving away Frank Thomas bobbleheads to the first 10,000 in attendance. If that's not worth getting there early, I don't know what is!

Gonna be at this entire Sox/Yanks series (Fri-Sun)....which begs the question, anyone have any clue what the hell it's like to go to an entire series? I've never done it due to several things (mostly lack of funds) but I'm sure some of you have. Either way I don't think I could have picked a better one with the finale being the retiring of my childhood hero's number. I'm guessing I get drunk and enjoy beating the Yanks on Friday and Sat and then just enjoy the ceremony (and probably cry like a girl) on Sunday.